Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,293 times

Advertisements

Americans for Legal Immigration PAC today called on the Obama administration to immediately close the southern border and restrict all inbound air and ground traffic from Mexico to emergencies and product delivery -- to protect American lives from the Mexican Swine Flu outbreak.

“The Obama administration’s failure to secure our borders against a possible pandemic is putting American lives at risk at a time when days and hours matter,” said William Gheen of ALIPAC. “The weak and inadequate ‘passive surveillance’ described during Sunday’s press conference is offensive to the rational mind.”

Instead of advising American tourists not to travel to Mexico, or closing border crossings and air travel gates to essential travel only, the Obama administration is treating Mexico like a 51st state, instead of separate nation, opined ALIPAC officials in a press release.

Newsmax.com - Group: Obama Puts U.S. Lives at Risk with Open Borders (http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/immigration_obama_disease/2009/04/27/207884.html?s=al&promo_code=7EC2-1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Americans for Legal Immigration PAC today called on the Obama administration to immediately close the southern border and restrict all inbound air and ground traffic from Mexico to emergencies and product delivery -- to protect American lives from the Mexican Swine Flu outbreak.

“The Obama administration’s failure to secure our borders against a possible pandemic is putting American lives at risk at a time when days and hours matter,” said William Gheen of ALIPAC. “The weak and inadequate ‘passive surveillance’ described during Sunday’s press conference is offensive to the rational mind.”

Instead of advising American tourists not to travel to Mexico, or closing border crossings and air travel gates to essential travel only, the Obama administration is treating Mexico like a 51st state, instead of separate nation, opined ALIPAC officials in a press release.

Newsmax.com - Group: Obama Puts U.S. Lives at Risk with Open Borders (http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/immigration_obama_disease/2009/04/27/207884.html?s=al&promo_code=7EC2-1 - broken link)
Obama will not close the border for fear of offending the latinos, many of whom voted for him. Can you imagine the outcry if he did? NCLR, Lulac, MALDEF, et al would be screaming that he was 'denying health care to hispanics' and accusing him of racism while the Aztlan people would say that since this is really their land that we stole, they should be free to come and go as they please, bringing any diseases they may have along with them. The bottom line is that appeasing mexico and groveling in front of the ethnic advocacy groups will trump any effort to safeguard the health of the American people. We have known that for some time now. If this outbreak had originated in Canada, the border would probably long since have been closed and both countries would be in agreement that it was a wise and prudent measure to take.

What in heaven's name is the point of telling US citizens that they really should not go to Mexico if they can avoid it without also telling the mexicans not to come here? Isn't that sort of like continually pouring water into a bucket with holes in the bottom?

The argument that the flu is going to come here anyhow so we should not do anything is nonsense, IMO. If part of our house is on fire, do you let the entire thing burn to the ground or do you attempt to put it out? Closing the border would have at least slowed the spread and bought us valuable time to prepare, increase stocks of antivirals, etc. But 'political correctness' is more important and if this currently (in the US) mild form of disease becomes more virulent, American citizens will end up paying the price for our extremely dysfunctional relationship with our 'neighbor to the south', as usual.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Obama will not close the border for fear of offending the latinos, many of whom voted for him. Can you imagine the outcry if he did? NCLR, Lulac, MALDEF, et al would be screaming that he was 'denying health care to hispanics' and accusing him of racism while the Aztlan people would say that since this is really their land that we stole, they should be free to come and go as they please, bringing any diseases they may have along with them. The bottom line is that appeasing mexico and groveling in front of the ethnic advocacy groups will trump any effort to safeguard the health of the American people. We have known that for some time now. If this outbreak had originated in Canada, the border would probably long since have been closed and both countries would be in agreement that it was a wise and prudent measure to take.

What in heaven's name is the point of telling US citizens that they really should not go to Mexico if they can avoid it without also telling the mexicans not to come here? Isn't that sort of like continually pouring water into a bucket with holes in the bottom?

The argument that the flu is going to come here anyhow so we should not do anything is nonsense, IMO. If part of our house is on fire, do you let the entire thing burn to the ground or do you attempt to put it out? Closing the border would have at least slowed the spread and bought us valuable time to prepare, increase stocks of antivirals, etc. But 'political correctness' is more important and if this currently (in the US) mild form of disease becomes more virulent, American citizens will end up paying the price for our extremely dysfunctional relationship with our 'neighbor to the south', as usual.
This is outrageous. I can't say anymore because what I have to say would make the baby Jesus weep.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,236 times
Quote:
This is outrageous. I can't say anymore because what I have to say would make the baby Jesus weep.
As usual, I agree with both of you. Pathetic would be a good word to describe the hispandering of this congress. If I said what I think the gestapo (homeland insecurity) would be knocking on the door later. Looks like the American people don't count for much these days.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
As usual, I agree with both of you. Pathetic would be a good word to describe the hispandering of this congress. If I said what I think the gestapo (homeland insecurity) would be knocking on the door later. Looks like the American people don't count for much these days.
I know exactly what you mean and how you feel.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,246 times
Quote:

I think our goverment considers Mexico part of the U.S. now, and they consider Mexicans to be Americans. It's as if the U.S. government has blurred the line between our nation and Mexico, and I really wonder if there's ever going to be any chance of going back to the way it was?

As the Swine flu continues to spread in Mexico, I suspect that the U.S. government will do the opposite of close the border; instead, they will come to the rescue of Mexicans, not only in aid and money, but in opening the doors into the U.S. for escape and medical treatment.

I truly believe the U.S. Government considers Mexico's citizens as worthy of protection and medical treatment as American citizens. Again, they've blurred the line and erased the border.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
the borders have been open for 30 years, an under the table NAFTA, an undeclared war on american labor . you are saying mr obama cooked it up just now ???? its all about him?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the borders have been open for 30 years, an under the table NAFTA, an undeclared war on american labor . you are saying mr obama cooked it up just now ???? its all about him?
The border should have been closed last Thursday. The health and safety of the American people should have taken priority over keeping Mexico happy.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
Yeah, Huckleberry, I missed the connection with Obama and open borders too. I think the borders have been "open" a lot longer than 30 years though. Closer to 165 years in Texas.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:05 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,747 times
If we could indeed actually close the border and did it would set a very dangerous precedent for the ruling elites of both parties who have given us just enough border control to be able to say that we do have some sort of border control, just no effective border control, as the ruling elites would then have to explain to the sheeple why we haven't had effective border control before and, once that it is demonstrated that we can close the border if we wanted to, why we won't have effective border control in the future. For instance, the American sheeple might clamor for the border to be closed should the Mexican gov fail to keep millions of Mexican refugees from breaking in, that is, if the American sheeple knew that we could actually close the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration