Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,518 times

Advertisements

hello, guys, i am Sophia, currently live in china, of course i am chinese, i am university student now, fourth year, i am going to graduate in july 1st 2012, so from july 2011 to july 2012, we will have to go to the internship, and i am going to move to american in august 2011, so i need to find a place around chicago which offers internship for me, i really don't know if any places hire people like me who is not american. is there someone who has the experience, please contact me, i need your help. my email is Mod Cut
thanks again.

Last edited by linicx; 06-19-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
I have no understanding of your situation. Here is a link to the Chnatown Chamber of Commerce. There are several resource in the pages and an emall address for the chamber. I would contact them. This group should be able to help you.

Welcome to Chicago Chinatown (http://www.chicagochinatown.org/cccorg/about.jsp - broken link)

Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,518 times
thanks very much for your response, Linicx, i guess i didnt really make my situation clearly, i should add something here, lol, My major is Urban planning, undergraduate student, 5 years major, our education system is a little different from yours, schools make all the schedule for you, you don't get to choose many classes for yourself. so my major is a 5 years major, it means that i have to stay in school for 5 years. i already finished 4 years course, the last year is for internship and graduate design project, since i will move to american in august this year, it means i will have to get my internship done in america, then come back to school in july 2012 to graduate and get my bachelor degree. my problem is if there will be a company that hire a me as an intern around chicago, since i heard that there is not many universities in america which have undergraduate student in Urban planning major, only postgraudate students and doctor degree, so i wonder if they will want me as an intern, besides, i am chinese, not american students. so all these factors confuses me, i hope someone can tell me something about it. because i need to plan on things. thanks for reading and replying, i am grateful. have a good evening. sincerely sophia.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
duck.duck.go is a search engine that brings up results the other two miss. Here is a link that might be useful Cyburbia - urban planning community and this https://duckduckgo.com/?q=IL+and+urb...ing+internship

One of the problems I see you faceing is your 5th yearin college is our first year masters program. The second consideration - and I hope I do not sound indelicate - is that your courses may be far more advance than ours or vice versa.

One of the problems you may run into is transportation. You have teriffic transportation int he city but not so in the outer suburbs. It can be very overwhelming to a new visitor. The locals do not talk about Chicago in terms of street names and train schedules. It is neighborhoods and time to drive or ride a train between point A and point B. .

Chicago Chinatown is quite a large community. The reason I suggest the Chamber of Commerce is because they work closely with the City of Chicago. Most likely they a have a finger on the pulse of the city, and they will certainly know who pulls which strings in the City. In America. sometims who you know is far more important than what you know. It can't hurt to email the chamber. I will be glad to try to help you. You can also contact me privaetly by clicking on my name and selecting Send a Direct Message to linicx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois