Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 PM

185 posts, read 400,228 times

Advertisements

hey everyone

I really like the outdoors and think a park ranger or something like that would be a perfect job for me. I was wondering if anyone knew about any jobs at Shawnee National Forest or something around there. Also, I have a highschool diploma but would there be any college requirements? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
hey everyone

I really like the outdoors and think a park ranger or something like that would be a perfect job for me. I was wondering if anyone knew about any jobs at Shawnee National Forest or something around there. Also, I have a highschool diploma but would there be any college requirements? Thanks!
Right now jobs aren't as available as they will in a few years. The United States Forest Service will probably be hiring more people in the coming years as people in the baby boomer generation retire. However, just a high school diploma and no experience will only land you the lowest possible jobs/pay scale. Most require experience in the field or a college education, the best require both. Have you also thought about the National Park Service or Bureau of Land Management? If you are willing to work anywhere in the country that significantly increases your chances of getting a job. Also, looking into Illinois DNR (Department of Natural Resources) jobs might be easier for someone with only a high school diploma or simply volunteering. If you do find a job, it may be seasonal/temporary because that's what most of the jobs are, but it pays the same and a seasonal/temporary job will help you get a permanent job.

Here are some links that you may want to look into:

FederalSoup.com

Employment

Forest Service and Park Service - FederalSoup.com

Careers Main Menu

Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks for all the links all of the info. Would a basic AA degree help, or would I need to major in something to get a mediocre paying job?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM

What kind of pay are you looking to get?

I forgot this website as well:

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks, I found my way to USA jobs while on federalsoup. It's a great site.

Enough to pay my $450 rent, gas, and food. So I guess I'm really not looking for even that great of pay. For entertainment I usually fish or just hike around so I don't spend much money. Just looking for a steady job that will pay for my minimal lifestyle (isn't that the job we're all looking for?). I realize everyone is trying to get a steady job now, I just thought that Wildlife jobs might not be too popular so there would be some openings.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 PM

Well, like I said, if you want a Forest Service Job, if you are willing to move you will have a better chance for getting a job.

I think that you could possibly get one with just your high school diploma. But You don't need a four year degree for the kind of money that it sounds like you want, an Associates should be good. Go on USAJOBS.gov and look for the kind of job that you want and look at what the requirements are, it differs from job to job.

FederalSoup can also help you more than I can for specific questions.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,292,443 times
My best guess is IL will continue to furlough state employees - although they hire seasonal. If Shawnee is where I think it is, there are a lot of rattlers in that area.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My best guess is IL will continue to furlough state employees - although they hire seasonal. If Shawnee is where I think it is, there are a lot of rattlers in that area.

Good luck!
Yeah, it's down in the southern part of Illinois. Lots of rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths, sounds fun right?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,362,368 times
I know national park rangers have bachelors degrees required I believe. IL DNR - if you can do maintenance chores, you could get a job I would think. Me, I wouldn't want to work for this state, talk about unstable work situation. This state is broke.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
Yeah, it's down in the southern part of Illinois. Lots of rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths, sounds fun right?
Theyre docile. In fact, the government blocks off a service road in the Shawnee National Forest for several weeks each year (Spring and Fall) just to allow migration of the snakes from their "hibernation" (actually brumation) spots back to the lowlands and woodlands. You can Google the name "Snake Road Illinois" and find tons of information on it. Many herpetologists from around the country head down there to witness the incredible sight. The rangers keep a close eye on people to make sure they dont take any snakes, even snake hooks and cases are forbidden on Snake Road.

But on a side note, rattlesnakes arent limited to just the southern portions of the state, they range well up into Northern Illinois. One of the biggest colonies used to be at the Mississippi Palisades State Park, until idiots blocked off the dens with concrete and pretty much eradicated them. Another lesser-known species of rattlesnake (Eastern Massasauga---Sistrurus catenatus) exists in Chicagoland, but theyre few and far between. A few years ago a lady's dog was bit by one (the dog was perfectly fine) up in Lake County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois