Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:25 PM

528 posts, read 823,988 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, the wife and I will be in town tomorrow for a show at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse and we could use some suggestions on where to park. Also, are there many places in walking distance around the fieldhouse to eat?
Thanks in advance everyone for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 05:19 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
The Virgina Ave parking garage is the closest public garage (I think). I know it has an upper walk way to get to Banker's Life. We always go to Reilly's Irish Pub and Restaurant when we go to Banker's Life for anything.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:22 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
The Virginia Ave garage is the one with direct skywalk access to Bankers Life. I assume you're going to the Neil Diamond concert which is sold out. Not sure if and when that garage will fill up. There are two other garages on Maryland. One is on the south side of the street between Pennsylvania and and Delaware. The other is on the north side of the street between Meridian and Pennsylvania. Maryland is one way eastbound so keep that in mind. I also know people for Pacers games that park a couple blocks away at Circle Centre, especially the garage between Capitol and Illinois. Really, it's not hard to find a parking garage for big events like the concert. Just look for the yellow Event Parking signs everywhere.

There are a ton of places to eat depending what you're in the mood for, where you park, and how far you want to walk. Down Georgia Street there's The Pub, Kilroys, The Old Spaghetti Factory, Hooters, Tilted Kilt (maybe not so much those last two), Harry & Izzys, down Meridian there's the Claddagh Irish Pub and El Rodeo. North on Meridian there's Hard Rock Cafe, Napolese, Buffalo Wild Wings. Straight north on Pennsylvania from the fieldhouse are Prime 47 and Scotty's Brewhouse and O'Reilly Irish Pub the previous poster mentioned.

Last edited by ischyros; 04-17-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Thank You both for the tips, we are coming in from Cincy for the Neil Diamond concert at 8:00 pm. Planning on getting there between 5 and 6 pm, park and then take our time finding someplace to eat dinner and relax before the show.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:43 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
Since the Fieldhouse is right downtown, there is easy access to all.

I would recommend Adobo Grill at 110 E. Washington. Fantastic bar, upscale Mexican food with guacamole made at your table. House margarita is best.

I would also like Napolese.

Both these can be found online so you can check them out.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 AM

No problem getting there, came in 74 straight down Southeastern to E Washington. Actually parked in the garage right next to the Fieldhouse and walked across the street and ate at the Tin Roof. Getting back to Cincy turned into quite the adventure after the show. Took a good while to get out of the garage of course and was planning on heading south on I-70 but ended up going north. No problem, went up an exit and turned around and headed south and, followed the signs to I-74 and thought everything was good. After driving about 20 minutes and thinking we should be in the middle of no where we were still on a four lane highway in a very developed urban area. Decided to exit and pulled into a BP station, pulled up the map on my phone and it's telling me we are at the upper northwest corner of I-465. Now I am thinking, no way my phone has to be wrong. I go inside and talk to the attendant (a very nice and helpful young man), he informs me that my phone is correct and that I have to follow 465 all the way around to get to 74. About half way around I notice I am behind a Kroger semi. I work for Kroger and I know they operate a distribution center in Shelbyville which we passed on the way to Indy. I figure he may be heading there so we follow him and it turns out that's exactly where he's going. We ended up getting home about 1:30 am

As we were following the signs to I-70 after we left the garage we ended up on I believe New York Ave where we were blocked by a sitting train. It was there we followed other cars down an ally behind a warehouse and ended up on north I-70. I have no idea where we went wrong when we followed the first I-74 signs. Somewhere between there and the northwest corner of I-465 we crossed into the Twilight Zone, (cue the music). What's a road trip without and unexpected adventure, we still had a great time.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:10 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
No problem getting there, came in 74 straight down Southeastern to E Washington. Actually parked in the garage right next to the Fieldhouse and walked across the street and ate at the Tin Roof. Getting back to Cincy turned into quite the adventure after the show. Took a good while to get out of the garage of course and was planning on heading south on I-70 but ended up going north. No problem, went up an exit and turned around and headed south and, followed the signs to I-74 and thought everything was good. After driving about 20 minutes and thinking we should be in the middle of no where we were still on a four lane highway in a very developed urban area. Decided to exit and pulled into a BP station, pulled up the map on my phone and it's telling me we are at the upper northwest corner of I-465. Now I am thinking, no way my phone has to be wrong. I go inside and talk to the attendant (a very nice and helpful young man), he informs me that my phone is correct and that I have to follow 465 all the way around to get to 74. About half way around I notice I am behind a Kroger semi. I work for Kroger and I know they operate a distribution center in Shelbyville which we passed on the way to Indy. I figure he may be heading there so we follow him and it turns out that's exactly where he's going. We ended up getting home about 1:30 am

As we were following the signs to I-70 after we left the garage we ended up on I believe New York Ave where we were blocked by a sitting train. It was there we followed other cars down an ally behind a warehouse and ended up on north I-70. I have no idea where we went wrong when we followed the first I-74 signs. Somewhere between there and the northwest corner of I-465 we crossed into the Twilight Zone, (cue the music). What's a road trip without and unexpected adventure, we still had a great time.
I believe what got you is 74 turns into a service main road inside 465. So when you follow the 74 signs it will take you onto 465. 70/65 join into indy. What you needed to do was follow 70 out of downtown to 465 south to 74. Or follow 65 to 465 north to 74.

74 is between the 70 and 65 once on 465 on the east side.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:17 PM

271 posts, read 458,967 times
Aside from the traveling issues you encountered on the way back, how was your overall experience in downtown Indy? I'm curious to hear it from a Cincy resident.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:41 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
If you don't mind a twenty minute walk, there is a park on East McCarty Street that has plenty of available spaces free. It's around a mile from the stadium

Old 04-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I believe what got you is 74 turns into a service main road inside 465. So when you follow the 74 signs it will take you onto 465. 70/65 join into indy. What you needed to do was follow 70 out of downtown to 465 south to 74. Or follow 65 to 465 north to 74.

74 is between the 70 and 65 once on 465 on the east side.
That sounds about right, I was looking over the maps yesterday and could not figure it out. After reading your description it makes more sense. I have been to Indy 3 or 4 times over the past 10 years or so for a few car shows and a zoo trip without a problem. None of those involved night driving so maybe that had something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis