Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2022, 10:04 AM

60 posts, read 57,952 times

Advertisements

Which is currently nicer/safer and which has better long term prospects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 07:42 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Perry Township is nicer, has less blight and lower socioeconomic areas, and is quite stable and has been for decades.

RM

Old 02-23-2022, 08:43 AM

174 posts, read 244,041 times
If you are looking at Wayne vs Perry I would have to agree that overall, homes have been kept up a little better in Perry Township vs Wayne Township and therefore home values and long term prospects will be slightly better in Perry area than in Wayne.

You also have I'd say more neighborhoods with pricier/larger homes and thus that helps surrounding areas with stability. Same can therefore be said for socioeconomic that Perry will be higher income levels than Wayne. There are more pockets of wealth and really nice communities though then I think Wayne Township gets credit for, but overall Perry will have more. There is much more business in Perry which helps the tax base, and keeps many essentials close instead of having to drive towards Avon or Speedway for Wayne Township residents.

Wayne will have much more diversity than Perry, though in Perry you'll see that increasing lately with the influx of Chin people from Myanmar. For some people that may or may not be important.

Safety wise, in general, I think you'll be safe in either community. They both have had things happen that reflect negatively on both communities, but again those are usually targeted towards specific people and the general population is safe. My mother, in her early 60s lives in Wayne Township alone and has never felt unsafe. She lives, shops, and runs in the community with no issues. I used to live in Perry Township and and my wife and I never had any issues.

Long term I think Perry has the edge. MortonR summed it up best. Perry doesn't have much room to expand into, but with the existing businesses and infrastructure in place I think they have more opportunities to maintain stability and continue to progress versus Wayne Township.

Perry Township has their own community pool/water park and YMCA as well as having more businesses. Wayne Township does have more room to grow as there are still a fair amount of areas of the old airport being developed and farm fields, but with lacking the businesses you see in Perry most residents of Wayne have to go to Avon, Speedway, Pike or other townships and communities for much of their essentials.

Now if you are looking further west than Wayne Township that's a different story and I'd say that Brownsburg and Plainfield are far above Perry Township. Avon would be ok, but again depends on what you look for in a community/house. If you are willing to look further west at all, you could also look further south and find some great southside communities. 465 is slightly closer to the County Line (Raceway Rd) on the Westside than the SouthSide. I believe it is 3 miles from 465 to Raceway Rd on the Westside and 5 miles from 465 to County Line Rd on the Southside. Just saying that getting from some parts of Avon, Brownsburg or Plainfield can be the equivalent of being at the very southern end of Perry Township.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:19 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Well said, @WestsideMac!

I grew up and lived on the Southside/Perry Township for a number of years, then lived on the far west/north side of Avon for a while.

Hands-down, Avon is nicer from a housing standpoint, but Perry is a lot more established and set in it’s ways, so to speak.

I like them both, but I would say that if I was looking for a newer home I would probably look in Avon. If I was interested in buying a less expensive, older home, I would look in Perry. There are many well established areas in Perry, such as Southport or Homecroft where there are good values on homes that are easily 40-50 years old on large established lots.

Either way you’re good, much depends on what you might want in the way of nearby amenities.

As I’ve stated here previously, I continue to be pleased and mildly amazed at how well the Southside, i.e., Perry Township, has weathered the years, so to speak.

RM

Old 02-28-2022, 02:48 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Perry Township is very desirable and home sell fast and high. Friend sold her mother's house and had multple offers for more than asking price in 12 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: