Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 AM

92 posts, read 230,100 times

Advertisements

We move in at the start of June, we are so excited. But we do have a few questions....

I have my own answers to the questions I'm asking but want to see your thoughts.

Should I have an attorney review the contract itself?
Should we do a home inspection or is that even something that can be put into a contract of a rent to own?
I assume the water is naturally hard but I've never used a water softener before, are they easy?

I think that's all I have for right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMovedToChannahon View Post
We move in at the start of June, we are so excited. But we do have a few questions....

I have my own answers to the questions I'm asking but want to see your thoughts.

Should I have an attorney review the contract itself?
Should we do a home inspection or is that even something that can be put into a contract of a rent to own?
I assume the water is naturally hard but I've never used a water softener before, are they easy?

I think that's all I have for right now!

What is a rent to own home? I would think it is different than a Rent A Center.

I would definitely have an attorney look over contract and get inspection. You can get a rent to own water softner and they install.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM

42 posts, read 105,789 times
Once installed water softners are easy...just remember to put the salt in. I would get an attorney for a RTO home. I would definately get an inspection.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
OMG .. yes, absolutely .. have an attorney review the contract!!!

water softeners are easy as pie. You can even pay to have them filled with salt by whatever company you use.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:31 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
It sounds like you already have something signed up if you are moving in this June.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:44 PM

53 posts, read 215,100 times
You should treat a rent-to-own home purchase just as you would a standard home purchase. Your intent is to eventually purchase the home from the owner. I hope you didn't sign on the dotted line yet. You should hire a real estate attorney and get an inspection!! You don't want to buy a house without an independent ispection. Do not take the word of the seller that "everything is ok". You could be buying a money pit. Be very careful! You want to make sure that the agreed upon portion of the rent you are paying each month goes towards your down payment. In order to quality for a mortgage, the home will need to appraise at the sales price. Bottom line, look out for yourself and your interests and get every detail in writing. Hire a real estate attorney ASAP!!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 PM

92 posts, read 230,100 times
I had my answers ahead of time and before I sign anything I did want an attorney to review the paperwork as well as have an inspection of the property.

The only thing that is a drawback is the home is vacant of a water softener and washer/dryer but I did negotiate a reduction in the initial down payment to compensate for that loss so that worked...

Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
do you have any out clauses in your contract?

Old 04-17-2010, 07:24 AM

53 posts, read 215,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMovedToChannahon View Post
I had my answers ahead of time and before I sign anything I did want an attorney to review the paperwork as well as have an inspection of the property.

The only thing that is a drawback is the home is vacant of a water softener and washer/dryer but I did negotiate a reduction in the initial down payment to compensate for that loss so that worked...
Make sure you put in the contract that the house must appraise at the offer price. If not, you have a right to rescind your offer. Also, you should have negotiated on the purchase price of the home rather than the down payment, or put in the offer that the owners need to put in a water softener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis