Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times

Advertisements

Chalk one up for the good guys!

Quote:
After some litigation; ReDigi, a site where people can sell used MP3's has been found legal in America. One of the key decisions the judge had to make was whether MP3's were material objects or not. 'Material objects' are not subject to the distribution right stipulated in "17 USC 106(3)" which protects the sale of intellectual property copies. If MP3's are material objects than the resale of them is guaranteed legal under the first sale' exception in 17 USC 109. Capitol Records tried to argue that they were material objects under one law and not under the other.
http://activepolitic.com:82/News/201...n_America.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
That makes sense but what I forsee is the media corporations backing away from legal sales of MP3's and using something with DRM.

The second question is how does one determine a MP3 was legally bought?

---edit----

Looks like original story was inaccurate and the only thing that the judge has ruled on was an injunction.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
This is interesting. Thanks for posting. I wonder if media corporations can protect themselves by licensing out the music for personal use... and in the license indicate that the license cannot be transferred.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is interesting. Thanks for posting. I wonder if media corporations can protect themselves by licensing out the music for personal use... and in the license indicate that the license cannot be transferred.
I suppose that would be like Zune, which is what I use.

Its $10/mo, and I can download unlimited music to my computer and phone. I can keep listening to it as long as I keep paying the $10/mo. Stop paying, and the music stops playing.

You can also purchase individual songs to keep, which also allows them to be played on other devices.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I suppose that would be like Zune, which is what I use.

Its $10/mo, and I can download unlimited music to my computer and phone. I can keep listening to it as long as I keep paying the $10/mo. Stop paying, and the music stops playing.

You can also purchase individual songs to keep, which also allows them to be played on other devices.
I like the zune business model. It hasn't made it to other devices unfortunately.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I like the zune business model. It hasn't made it to other devices unfortunately.
Actually Rhapsody has done this for quite a long time. It was Yahoo Music, and something else before that (Shoutcast maybe ?).

We have both a Rhapsody, and a Zune subscription in the house and they are pretty similar.

Zune is tied to a Windows Live ID, so it's pretty much tied to one Windows Phone / PC combination. My son has a Windows Phones, and used Rhapsody for a while, but decided he'd rather pay for his own Zune subscription since the Zune app is integrated a bit better on the Windows Phone.

Rhapsody can be installed on a few different PCs, but only one can be logged in at a time. My wife uses it to stream to her PC on occasion, and I use it while working during the day. I usually download the music I want to my pc, then I can play them with WMP. I only have to log in every couple of weeks to get a new license.

I also have the Rhapsody app on my Android phone, and use it in the car (docked to the stereo system), and at the gym, etc.

The $10 plan allows one portable device, and I think that there is a $15 plan that allows 3 devices (only one logged in at a time). They support a number of MP3 players as well.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post

Zune is tied to a Windows Live ID, so it's pretty much tied to one Windows Phone / PC combination.
You get any combination of four of the following devices; PC, zune player, windows phone. I use it on one PC and two windows phones. Only one windows phone does streaming (the one w/ zune pass ID); the other only gets what music is synced from the PC.

It also works in a couple of ways on the xbox 360:

through the native xbox 360 app; its streaming only, you must have a live gold acct, and it only works on the xbox signed in with the zune pass acct.

through windows media center extender on xbox 360:

I can play my zune content downloaded on the PC through all of my xbox's simultaneously. You can't play anything not already downloaded to the PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet