Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's why the very first sentence I said was forget it and use encryption, no matter what you do it's going to be somewhere at least for some time.
Exactly. If it traversed the Internet from some other email server to get to your email server, it's just as much subject to sifting as it is sitting on a server at those providers.

Whistle-Blower Outs NSA Spy Room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
You can get towers with locks, I'm assuming they have them on any equipment. I have an old Antec sitting here with locks, It's just a flimsy door on the front but that locks and the side panel for the case locks. They aren't going to stop anyone from getting in it but it would certainly let you know if someone was in it unless they had a key becsue they would have to break them
Yeah, we were in a locked cabinet, but we paid a pretty penny for just 2U of that cabinet. Can't imagine what an entire cabinet would cost.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Not Gmail
Not Yahoo (especially!!!)
Not AOL
Not Outlook (you can't CREATE an email account with only outlook)
Not Microsoft mail

I want something that I could create an email account on my home computer, and I can send and receive emails but it never goes through a third party like gmail or aol or anything
You'll basically need your own SMTP server. Which would require a number of other items for it to work. As others have said, you'll need your own domain, DNS service, MX records, etc. You can certainly use providers for these services, but nonetheless, its still extra steps that you'll need to go through.

When you say "third party", you referring to a third party mail provider? Or any third party? The communication from your mail server to your recipient (or vice versa) will still be going through your ISP. So technically, those communications will still be going through third parties. Albeit in this case, they're just providing the communication service as opposed to actual SMTP service.

You can add encryption to email, but that would only work if the party you are communicating with is also setup to communicate securely with you (key exchange or using the same key infrastructure).

What's the goal here?

Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
What's the goal here?
And we reach the crux of the thread...

Old 06-08-2013, 12:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Bring back carrier pigeons!

I have my own domain with mail service. Problem is this as has been stated. I can get mail without a problem, but sending is the problem. Bellsouth/ATT won't send any email using my domain name as the mail host. I need to use mail.bellsouth.net.

And ATT and all of their daughter company's are using Yahoo as their routing hub for mail. There is no safe way around it. Encryption is the only answer, but Dancing with the Stars folks would never be able to figure that out.

Last edited by gregm; 06-08-2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Fat fingers

Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yeah, I should have waited on that. I assume POP3 servers aren't plain text anymore? When I had VPN whatever we used you just had to grep it.

But for most folks, laziness wins out over privacy.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Bellsouth/ATT won't send any email using my domain name as the mail host. I need to use mail.bellsouth.net.
They are probably just blocking the default port. Try 587 or contact your host for alternate.

When I said dropped into a black hole what I meant was the recipients ISP would, if you don't reverse have DNS set up right it's not going to get delivered and that's an issue even on paid hosting servers. The recipient will never know it was sent and the sender does not get a return email with any errors. It's just dumped.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Bring back carrier pigeons!

I have my own domain with mail service. Problem is this as has been stated. I can get mail without a problem, but sending is the problem. Bellsouth/ATT won't send any email using my domain name as the mail host. I need to use mail.bellsouth.net.

And ATT and all of their daughter company's are using Yahoo as their routing hub for mail. There is no safe way around it. Encryption is the only answer, but Dancing with the Stars folks would never be able to figure that out.
This is crucial. What error do you get? Or is there no error? Do you get an error when the mail is being transported or do you get an e-mail (NDR) afterwards?

And what do you mean by mail service? Your own server or you farming it out to someone else and if so who?

I'm on U-Verse residential and have more than a dozen e-mail accounts all over the place.

I'd test with Gmail too in an e-mail client to see if it's a port blocking issue which I doubt.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:10 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yeah but do you only e-mail your own domain? I assume the OP wants mail to be transported to another domain. It's going to end up on a 3rd party server at some point.
It's true, that the recipient can be traced unless they did all the same precautions. If I send to a gmail account, then it will end on on Google Servers.

However, that is fine, because I'm more concerned with being secure and private on my end. If my end is entirely secure, it is doubtful it could be traced back to me.

I want freedom, and if every communication I ever send can be read by the government, then I am not free, I am a slave! That's why I want this.

Quote:
You can get towers with locks, I'm assuming they have them on any equipment. I have an old Antec sitting here with locks, It's just a flimsy door on the front but that locks and the side panel for the case locks. They aren't going to stop anyone from getting in it but it would certainly let you know if someone was in it unless they had a key because they would have to break them
I don't need a lock. No one is getting in my room, and I am not important for the government to raid my house just to read an email. I'm not concerned with the security of my home PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You'll basically need your own SMTP server. Which would require a number of other items for it to work. As others have said, you'll need your own domain, DNS service, MX records, etc. You can certainly use providers for these services, but nonetheless, its still extra steps that you'll need to go through.

When you say "third party", you referring to a third party mail provider? Or any third party? The communication from your mail server to your recipient (or vice versa) will still be going through your ISP. So technically, those communications will still be going through third parties. Albeit in this case, they're just providing the communication service as opposed to actual SMTP service.

You can add encryption to email, but that would only work if the party you are communicating with is also setup to communicate securely with you (key exchange or using the same key infrastructure).

What's the goal here?
I agree about the encryption. It makes no sense to encrypt unless you want the recipient also to encrypt. Anyway encryption is not necessary.

The goal here is simply to satisfy my paranoia and keep personal emails from being on any email server like gmail or aol, etc.

By the way, I do own my own domains, and I pay for a web server.

So far it seems there are only two ways:
1) a service which would prevent even the government from accessing their data
2) your own domain and server and somehow configure it for email.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
It's true, that the recipient can be traced unless they did all the same precautions. If I send to a gmail account, then it will end on on Google Servers.

However, that is fine, because I'm more concerned with being secure and private on my end. If my end is entirely secure, it is doubtful it could be traced back to me.
Owning your own server is far more traceable than using some generic account on GMail or Yahoo.

Even hosting a server in your own house will require a dedicated IP from your ISP, and probably a business grade account to get past port blocks. Every mail server that you send to will know exactly where it came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet