Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,931,487 times

Advertisements

I have a problem! I inadvertently used my entire full name on some original signup to access Google etc etc. This name now gets placed on any comments I leave on YouTube, or other websites. I have searched high and low to find exactly where I go to change my online name to something far more cryptic, but cannot find that place anywhere.

As in: No handy Google ID/name change site. At least where I can find it, and heck, "I R an Enjuhn-neer!"

Please oh please.... can someone help moi? (being an Ex-Canook, I was once required to be by-linn-gyoo-ahl!!)

Thanks so very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
If all else fails you could change your name and leave your "old" name in google land.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,753,206 times
Sign in to Google

At the top right click the triangle next to your log in ID

Click on Account

Click Edit by your name at the top right in the box that shows your name and screen name.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks, but still I don't know where to go and replace or even add a new name! And then have it automatically then show up in any new posts or comments. I know the old name will still exist but over time it and my old comments will be swallowed by the mass of new posts that pour in every day!

Hmmm... Still wondering.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 AM

Default Not quite yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Sign in to Google

At the top right click the triangle next to your log in ID

Click on Account

Click Edit by your name at the top right in the box that shows your name and screen name.
So far OK, but that takes me to a full-color page that shows my non-picture at the top, as well as options for my personal profile, like "People, Work, Story, etc.as well as a page title at the top that says "change cover".

I still don't see anywhere there to then change my online name. Tried clicking on all those options. So... did I miss something? Still bein' stoopit I suppose, but thx so far!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Not sure where you are. When I open the Account link I go to a page with my email addresses, name, screen name, account management, etc.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,148,143 times
Google doesn't want YouTube comments to be anonymous anymore. (It's long been notorious as the place with the most inane comments on the Internet.) You're probably going to be better off to stop commenting there if you want to remain anonymous.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM

While that's true the OP should be able to change the name on the account. I just changed mine and it's now my initials instead of my name.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM

6,595 posts, read 11,312,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So far OK, but that takes me to a full-color page that shows my non-picture at the top, as well as options for my personal profile, like "People, Work, Story, etc.as well as a page title at the top that says "change cover".

I still don't see anywhere there to then change my online name. Tried clicking on all those options. So... did I miss something? Still bein' stoopit I suppose, but thx so far!
Click on your "name" to the right of your 'non-picture'....

Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not sure where you are. When I open the Account link I go to a page with my email addresses, name, screen name, account management, etc.
Yup! That's where I am now. but where does this site allow me to change from my actual name, as it now always shows up on any comments I post on literally all the Google-run sites (Youtube, etc.)? I can try 'em all on thii page, and I'll let you know.

But OK... let's see what I see here that might be relevant:

There's the e-mail options, one of which I actually never use;

Language & Storage and Account Management (which seems to offer only ways to get offa the entire system, no "change your user name" option as of yet). I'll continue:

Account Activity incl. "Manage Security" plus "Manage Connected Accounts" and Web history.

The best bet seems to be: Manage Security, yes?

Let's go there...

Nope. None of those work. You've been most helpful so far Tek_Freek, and I do really appreciate it. But this is where I'm apparently stuck now. I sense we may be close to the end, or they really don't like me and have made me a sort of online Snowden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet