Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

So I googled my name.

Came up with several webpages who offer my full name. Age. Full current address. Previous adresses in the US.

I am single and in the dating scene, have 100+ male coworkers. If somebody knows my last name, they can just look me up, stalk me .... maybe pay me a nightly visit. Thanks to webpages who just publish my information without me even signing up there.

I had at least 30 first dates in the last half year through single webpages. Lots of these guys were creepy, one asked me to sell my house after 10 minutes of meeting him, some offered me threesomes ... to keep it short - I would NOT want them to know my address. I am super careful when I meet them, with pepperspray, telling a friend where we go, watching my drink, etc. and then the internet just gives it all away. THAT IS NOT RIGHT!!!

I think these pages have my info from public records, I didnt provide facebook with these details and I am not on any other social networking page.

Strangers can even see that I am still married. I am separated since a long time. If I meet a new guy and he googles me, he will be thinking that I am happily married, living a double life. When he googles me, he can see my husbands name. He can then google my husband. People are crazy nowadays.

If I want to have my info removed, they ask for even more personal info and SSN. WTF?? How can I stop this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Oh wow, nobody answering :thi nk:

Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 AM

542 posts, read 692,204 times
Everyone's too busy googling themselves. Or that cute co-worker at work to see if she's married. Ha ha. You might more results on the technology forum, maybe?

Actually, this concerns me a lot. I've always kept my information out of the phone book, and now I've become googleable without my knowledge. I understand that google will even search for an image if you upload it. In many ways I think the internet has grown so fast, and we never stopped to think about the effects of it. And once it's on the internet, it's really hard to get it off.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 AM

423 posts, read 414,941 times
It's things like this that make me glad I have one of the most common first and last names imaginable....you know, the kind of name where when you check into a hotel you get raised eyebrows. LOL

It would take an act of God to find me in the manner the OP described.

That said, I have been on places like Spokeo, and yes....it is far too easy to personal and location details about people without paying for it.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
You can be a victim of a criminal who knows absolutely nothing about you...now there's something to worry about!

Seriously, it sounds like you are a cautious, confident woman. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Predators go after the most vulnerable.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
To answer your question, there is no real way to stop this unless you can manage of being self sufficient with what you have and not sign anymore documents.

Most everything is entered in a computer and more than likely if not share information there is a probability that source will be bought out in the future.

I remember when I searched my full name one day it kinda freak me out on the private information it had. A few stood out that had me puzzled on how it got the information.
It had a brother who lives in another city, that I know I never used him as a reference, I dont even have his phone number. It had my mom 104, lol ok that was way off but I lived in with somebody in this town for a short period but it knew when I left.

People as of late or media make issue of the NSA, is there really a point when someone register on internet sites, sweepstake, social media, share online photos, and carry smart phones, someone out there is going to know who you are.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So I googled my name.

Came up with several webpages who offer my full name. Age. Full current address. Previous adresses in the US.

I am single and in the dating scene, have 100+ male coworkers. If somebody knows my last name, they can just look me up, stalk me .... maybe pay me a nightly visit. Thanks to webpages who just publish my information without me even signing up there.

I had at least 30 first dates in the last half year through single webpages. Lots of these guys were creepy, one asked me to sell my house after 10 minutes of meeting him, some offered me threesomes ... to keep it short - I would NOT want them to know my address. I am super careful when I meet them, with pepperspray, telling a friend where we go, watching my drink, etc. and then the internet just gives it all away. THAT IS NOT RIGHT!!!

I think these pages have my info from public records, I didnt provide facebook with these details and I am not on any other social networking page.

Strangers can even see that I am still married. I am separated since a long time. If I meet a new guy and he googles me, he will be thinking that I am happily married, living a double life. When he googles me, he can see my husbands name. He can then google my husband. People are crazy nowadays.

If I want to have my info removed, they ask for even more personal info and SSN. WTF?? How can I stop this?
As someone else mentioned you really can't completely. There are many forms of public record which are available on sites (Intel***, ******finder, etc...). Also, anyone can look up local public property ownership records, electronic white pages etc...

The key thing would be to use these tools for yourself as needed to verify potential people you meet via online dating (as one example). It's fairly easy to pick out lies and 'pre-filter' on things such as school / age / resident location etc... The key I'd advise any one here, is to be more thorough in the 'on line correspondence' before meeting to get some sense of whether the person is telling truth (to best of your ability). My technique filtered quite a few of the females who were interested (one was just looking for sperm donor for her biological clock - discovered after about 30 minute phone call) but my goal wasn't to just keep meeting women in numbers, but rather hopefully finding someone whom I'd enjoy the time.

Here's an example of what I believe one woman did, whom I recall from a meeting a few years back when I was using a dating site. She arranged after brief exchange (probably half dozen emails each) to meet her in public place for coffee/talk. I got there a few minutes early and noticed a guy seemingly checking me out as I picked a chair at a two top and settled in with a beverage. The woman showed up punctual and we greet and had a nice time conversing. We didn't seem a good fit at the time so after about 35-40 minute we both left. I noticed this guy still seemingly observing me from his laptop.

The woman I met had been in the armed forces in an intel type position. To this day I am certain the guy was a friend of hers who was functioning as 'recon' . it didn't bother me at all (if that was the case) as I would have done / or wanted someone to do the same for a female friend or sister etc...

In one other case, I once noticed a woman who posted photos of herself in a race. I promptly contacted her to warn her that it was not wise to use that particular photo as one could easily find her name. She got all huffy at me in the email exchange and did at least in the end say, that 'yea , she understood my 'acting like an older brother'. Sometimes people just don't think things through.

While you cannot go through life with an unhealthy paranoia, it is wise to have a level of healthy wisdom in what you put out there voluntarily.

Part of the problem with many social media tools is that they are used most often by people trying to make themselves look more important / more interesting / more special etc... So your confidence shows in not needing to use those types of tools.

As to the other topic some have brought up (surveillance state) - I surmise some of my comments may tickle someone's ears in the NSA, but I figure, if they are reading my stuff we're in big trouble and hope they get prompted to turn their attention to the Jamie Dimon's, Dick Fuld's, Lloyd Blankfein's and political / lobbyist types and fix our screwed up system - but that's a different topic.

Other than what you've been told already for general information purposes to those reading this thread: do not put stuff online with your name without thinking of the possible ramifications, and limit use of social sites. Don't fret just do your own due diligence or 'counter' surveillance, and take basic self defense (or whatever else may build your confidence and awareness of handling potential situations).

Old 10-07-2013, 04:25 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
This might concern you as well

Data Broker Giants Hacked by ID Theft Service — Krebs on Security

Old 10-07-2013, 05:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Am in full agreement! Having personal information displayed to the world is not appropriate. However, there really is no way to avoid it unless one goes 'underground'.

When I moved, only specific individuals were allowed my new address, but it wasn't long before I began receiving mail from local businesses 'welcoming' me to the neighborhood.

I called one such business and asked where they got my new address; they had no idea and said their direct marketing was handled by an outfit that handles just about all direct marketing. I contacted that company and ended up getting the run around, and they claimed they had 'no idea' where my info came from.

I was told that the post office sells your new address to these direct marketing outfits; not sure if that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

So much for remaining anonymous.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 AM

It is just not right.

These websites make it super easy for criminals, that shouldnt be legal to just kill everybodys privacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet