Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Entering an address that takes up three lines and has hundreds of characters is not basic.
If im on the web and I want to look at ESPN then i type in espn.com, thats pretty basic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If im on the web and I want to look at ESPN then i type in espn.com, thats pretty basic
Sure, but typing this:- http : / / espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/10804704/chicago-blackhawks-coach-joel-quenneville-fined-25000-actions-game-1-playoffs - is not basic.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Quote:
Sure, but typing this:- http : / / espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/10804704/chicago-blackhawks-coach-joel-quenneville-fined-25000-actions-game-1-playoffs - is not basic.
I'm curious...when/why would you do that?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm curious...when/why would you do that?
If you want to give someone the address to a specific page, you might give them an address like that. On some sites, it's not easy to find what you're looking for from the home page.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Quote:
If you want to give someone the address to a specific page, you might give them an address like that. On some sites, it's not easy to find what you're looking for from the home page.
Are you talking about giving it to them somehow other than via the computer/internet then?
Which seems a bit odd since they'd have to use a computer to look at it.
Otherwise, it would be a simple copy/paste for both of you...no typing required.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Are you talking about giving it to them somehow other than via the computer/internet then?
Which seems a bit odd since they'd have to use a computer to look at it.
Otherwise, it would be a simple copy/paste for both of you...no typing required.
Yes. There are times you want to give it to someone on paper, but sometimes links in an email do not work.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,462 times
tinyurl.com

Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,176 times
Quote:
Yes. There are times you want to give it to someone on paper, but sometimes links in an email do not work.
Even if the link in an email doesn't work directly, copy/paste still works (as long as you provided the actual website name and not just the website title).

The scary part of people no longer knowing how to type in proper website addresses, in my opinion, is that it makes phishing so much easier because then people forget what the proper format is for the website they want to visit.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I work in Tech Support that supports companies, so yes people are using computers. I'm not making fun of anyone just making an observation.
I spent the majority of my life in tech support and came to the realization that when a user does something like you described in your OP it's because the tech supporting them didn't take the time to fully explain what was required to properly execute the task.

The only time I ever "had a chat" with end users while doing phone support was when I heard them typing when they should have been listening.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:39 AM

815 posts, read 2,997,847 times
What computer scientists often forget, when building computer systems is workable and more importantly simple UI design. They forget that most people don't give a crap about how a computer works, nor need advanced features, they just want it to work. Unfortunately most things if designed properly often could be done with fewer steps. I see so many things that take 4 steps when they could easily take 2 steps or even 1 step instead.

Most browsers have two boxes on top, one is often a search feature with google or bing and the other the web address. Neither are labeled particularly well so its no wonder people plug into the wrong one all the time. If your guessing you only have a 50% chance of picking the right thing.

Frankly computer UI should be given to graphic designers to lay out, most IT and CS people couldn't design their way out of a paper bag. Being able to code does not make you a designer. In fact most design schools use computers UI of examples of how not to design things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet