Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 07:30 AM

576 posts, read 994,485 times

Advertisements

Wonder if anybody can maybe help guide me here.

My mom, trying to help her (remotely). She is trying to sign onto her internet. Her system for whatever reason, when she clicks to go onto the internet, it defaults to Yahoo. There she is required to enter a user name and p/w. She is entering everything that she has always used, and in the format she's always used, but it's making her change her p/w. She did that. But then it notes the user ID or p/w are incorrect.

So, (remotely) I went to Yahoo.com, and to see if I could change it, I went to the mail icon, which of course, required that I enter her credentials. I entered what she indicated, but of course, it didn't recognize it, so I changed her p/w. I then was successful in accessing her email.

I have changed her p/w, and I can successfully (from my computer) access her email.

But she can't.

Every time she enters the p/w that it's been changed to, she gets a message "incorrect user ID or p/w".

I had her open a word doc and type out the credentials and copy and paste them, to be sure that her keyboard isn't somehow not working correctly. That too, didn't work.

So that's a problem.

But I then wanted to see if she can enter anything that is p/w protected. Asked her to just pull up the internet, period. Go to her bank's site, or anything that would require a p/w. She can't even get on the internet, at all, because apparently her system is set to default to Yahoo. And Yahoo, requires a p/w before she can go anywhere at all.

She uses IE, (version, not sure). She uses Windows Vista as her OS.

How can I help her to be able to access IE, period .. without having to go thru Yahoo, which obviously is causing an issue for her.

I'm not even sure how to zero in on what the problem might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
In IE click on the settings icon (mine looks like a gear) then under the general tab replace the yahoo page with something else. Google is an easy one. Save, exit IE, restart IE. It should go to Google. Make a bookmark for Yahoo if she needs it.

You might have her run Ccleaner, but if she relies on Internet history and IE saving PW, etc then go over what it clears before running it.

She might have a program that's been inserted on her computer that is harvesting the passwords as she types them. It's not on yours so you don't have the problem. Does she have a current AV installed? Can you download and run Malwarebytes for her?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 PM

576 posts, read 994,485 times
Thanks. She called me back later and for reasons that she nor I understand, it works now. She signed in w/the reset p/w, within a little while. Maybe it just took a while to catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet