Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

We are going to have someone stay for 4 months in a garage apartment which is about 80' from the main house. All connecting lines go through an underground conduit, so it is difficult to snake Cat-6 cable over the distance. I would like to be able to provide internet at the apartment. Is there a commercial wifi range extender for a reasonable price (less than $150) that will cover the distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 07:29 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
At a previous home we used a Netgear router and a Netgear Extender that did a great job for us. The range was not so far as yours, but we had to contend with very thick brick walls (an older house) that was impeding the signal, and the Extender did a great job.

At our new house the Netgear Extender isn't compatible with our internet provider's modem/router (Comcast), so we haven't been able to test distance which isn't quite 80' (but close to it) between the modem/router and our patio where we like to sit with our laptops but can't. Our original Netgear router is ancient and not up-to-snuff and we just haven't gotten around to buying a new one to replace Comcast's.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
We use one of these. We aren't anywhere near 80ft, but for the price you might try it.

Amazon.com: TP-LINK RE200 AC750 Universal Wireless Dual Band Range Extender, Wi-Fi Repeater, Wall Plug, Plug and Play, Ethernet Port, Smart Signal Indicator Light: Computers & Accessories

A comment from one of the reviews

Quote:
I placed the range extender about 50 ft (and 2 walls) away from my router and I now have a strong signal in parts of my house that had only weak and often no signals. Speed tests using Ookla showed no degradation in speed. Signal handoff between the router and the extender when moving around the house seems seamless.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:02 PM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
I just picked up an Amped Wireless SR-10000. Seems to work pretty well.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:32 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
I am using the TP-LINK AC750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender in my shed which is 95 feet from the house, it works great and the signal is very strong.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:18 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
You might not even need an extender, depending on what kind of walls are between the main router and the guest house. Sometimes, the signals will carry farther than you would imagine. For example, if I go over to the other end of this house where there are a lot of windows, my computer can "see" wi-fi signals from two or three neighbors, and they're a heck of a lot farther away than 80 feet. Here in the house, I'm not that lucky. One internet won't even cover the whole house. I think the walls are made of concrete with steel beams, which seems to screw up the reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet