Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times

Advertisements

Okay; at first, it was a novelty & somewhat amusing but now; this is starting to get annoying.

I'm hyperlexic & read at 1300+ words per minute. Depending on the subject I'm searching on; I can sometimes read the search results pages as quickly as the computer can scroll. My comprehension rate, tested 30 years ago, was at 98% of the national average, so I rarely have to slow down, go back, re-read or repeat.

Sometimes while searching for medical science articles & especially when doing Geneology research, I would get stopped by Google wanting me to respond by entering a code/capture to prove that "I was not a computer".

I get it; they are protecting against data mining or it's possibly countersurveillance on other social listening programs that are "listening" to them. When doing my Geneology research, I've been able to find info going 10+ generations back & without the benefit of a paid subscription (Ancestry, etc) access.

Sometimes that means adjusting keywords slightly & quickly scanning through 20 pages of results. I've found key information, sometimes hiding 17 pages back. Yes, it would be easier to have a site access but money is an issue. Ability to find it on my own & quickly, is not.

I'm not going to slow myself down & it only took a moment anyway, to "prove that I wasn't a robot".

But recently; something has changed. Now & even more frequently, I'm getting an "Unusual Activity Reported From This IP" notice that literally blocks me from using Google for a few minutes. This morning it happened when I was trying to quickly find a recipe for Oatmeal cookies I saw last night.

Really? My Oatmeal cookie recipe hunt is a security risk? And it's not going to get any "better" from Google's point of view; I have Atypical Hyperlexia ... because unlike typical hyperlexia, I don't plateau.

So what's next, if they get more restrictive but I just get faster? A knock at the door? A quick scan of their "learn more" link doesn't give much info at all & when I'm blocked I'm just stuck waiting & can't do much about that.

Would it help for me to contact them? To let them know I'm not a robot, not a hacking program, I'm just ...weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
Don't know what to tell you, but your post made me wonder if you've read everything, like say all 6 volumes of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
I don't think it has anything to do with your reading speed or activity, it has to do with suspicion that someone else is using your account. Try this from Microsoft Support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...%20activity%20

Old 10-14-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Don't know what to tell you, but your post made me wonder if you've read everything, like say all 6 volumes of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?
Heh; actually I haven’t!

I looked it up just now & wow ... that would definitely keep me busy for a few. It’s almost 4,000 pages long!

Last year I read the Bible in 4 days. I was looking for something specific so I did repeat Genesis 4 times, Exodus twice & Revelation 2 times also. The King James is “only” about 1,200 pages, the Catholic only slightly longer.

What I’d really like to know is; where is the rest of it? It reads like something written then omitted vs something left unfinished. Bugs me.

If Google keeps sketching on me I might just have to check that one out .

Old 10-14-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with your reading speed or activity, it has to do with suspicion that someone else is using your account. Try this from Microsoft Support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...%20activity%20
I just realized this may be the case... About 3 weeks ago a power surge killed my old PC that I used in my bedroom, forcing me onto the living room PC which all the kids use. I have twin 16 year old girls & one of them has all her school accounts logged on this computer 24/7 plus social media.

Which I don’t mind because I want/need to monitor their activity anyway. But if it’s registering her typical use of FB, Snapchat & school district activity ... & then I get on & plow through 22 pages of pubmed in half an hour, it would be “unusual activity”.

Hah, you’re smart, thank you!

Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
I've seen this warning myself before but it was for very specific activity I was doing and I haven't seen them in a while. I saw this on Craigslist once too where I was reposting a bunch of items. I block such activity from own sites but you really need to be going way beyond what a human could do, e.g. a page a second for ten seconds.

Presumably this is from your home? As a precautionary measure I would suggest making sure your router is secure and no devices are infected with malware/virus infection. If your ISP has bandwidth monitor see if there is a spike in activity.

Also check the software you are using, security software and anything recently installed in particular. I don't know if any of them still do it but in the past some were pulling up all the links on a web page sucking up your bandwidth and the websites bandwidth. If something on your machine has changed recently and this is the problem it will be obvious if you have the bandwidth stats from your ISP.

If you have a google account you might want to try contacting them, I'm sure you aren't the only one that has had this issue in the past. They might be able to loosen the restrictions for you.

Quote:
scanning through 20 pages of results
Google will display up to 100 results per page. It's under settings, I don't think you need to be logged in.

Quote:
Really? My Oatmeal cookie recipe hunt is a security risk?
They are trying to prevent someone from using their services for commercial purposes and in this case it could be infected machine doing it. Scrapers are big problem for many sites. For example if you did SEO you are going to want to analyze search results to see what is moving and where it's moving. It'a all automated and if Google let them the only limits would the bandwidth of the computer making the requests.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Okay; at first, it was a novelty & somewhat amusing but now; this is starting to get annoying.

I'm hyperlexic & read at 1300+ words per minute. Depending on the subject I'm searching on; I can sometimes read the search results pages as quickly as the computer can scroll. My comprehension rate, tested 30 years ago, was at 98% of the national average, so I rarely have to slow down, go back, re-read or repeat.

Sometimes while searching for medical science articles & especially when doing Geneology research, I would get stopped by Google wanting me to respond by entering a code/capture to prove that "I was not a computer".

I get it; they are protecting against data mining or it's possibly countersurveillance on other social listening programs that are "listening" to them. When doing my Geneology research, I've been able to find info going 10+ generations back & without the benefit of a paid subscription (Ancestry, etc) access.

Sometimes that means adjusting keywords slightly & quickly scanning through 20 pages of results. I've found key information, sometimes hiding 17 pages back. Yes, it would be easier to have a site access but money is an issue. Ability to find it on my own & quickly, is not.

I'm not going to slow myself down & it only took a moment anyway, to "prove that I wasn't a robot".

But recently; something has changed. Now & even more frequently, I'm getting an "Unusual Activity Reported From This IP" notice that literally blocks me from using Google for a few minutes. This morning it happened when I was trying to quickly find a recipe for Oatmeal cookies I saw last night.

Really? My Oatmeal cookie recipe hunt is a security risk? And it's not going to get any "better" from Google's point of view; I have Atypical Hyperlexia ... because unlike typical hyperlexia, I don't plateau.

So what's next, if they get more restrictive but I just get faster? A knock at the door? A quick scan of their "learn more" link doesn't give much info at all & when I'm blocked I'm just stuck waiting & can't do much about that.

Would it help for me to contact them? To let them know I'm not a robot, not a hacking program, I'm just ...weird?

That's never happened to me, and I've never heard of it happening to anyone. But I have to say, I like hearing about others who are successful doing genealogy searches independent of the usual suspects who've managed to co-opt public information that used to be free to access. On principle, I wouldn't pay if I had to (I don't lol). But that's another story.

I would NOT contact Google, BTW.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Heh; actually I haven’t!

I looked it up just now & wow ... that would definitely keep me busy for a few. It’s almost 4,000 pages long!

Last year I read the Bible in 4 days. I was looking for something specific so I did repeat Genesis 4 times, Exodus twice & Revelation 2 times also. The King James is “only” about 1,200 pages, the Catholic only slightly longer.

What I’d really like to know is; where is the rest of it? It reads like something written then omitted vs something left unfinished. Bugs me.

If Google keeps sketching on me I might just have to check that one out .
The "rest of it" was discarded by the men in power at the time because what was written either held women in high regard, or simply disagreed with their "truth". This is why I treat the bible as nothing more than a story (stories) written by those who wanted to control the masses at the time. They still do.

Sorry about the slightly OT.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I would NOT contact Google, BTW.
Why not? This is what is called a false positive and Google is very much interested in preventing legitimate activities like this. These blaocks are in place to prevent automated tasks from scripts and bots. They aren't there to prevent legitimate use by humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet