Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:41 AM

712 posts, read 555,868 times

Advertisements

I signed up for one yesterday through Avast then saw how people had issues with digital river, so I sent a request to cancel my subscription.

With the fact that our cell phones pretty much can pinpoint where we are at all times. How important are VPN anyway??

I could always re-subscribe if they are important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
On your phone?
It really depends on what you need one for?
Generally speaking most people do not need a VPN.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:21 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
What do you WANT a VPN for?

I have it on my wife's phone (VPN to our home router/network) so she can do banking/money stuff over a secure connection. Neither of us trust doing it over the cell network and Certainly don't trust any other wireless network.

Similarly, I've setup VPN connections between my laptop and work before, not so I could route my traffic back out, but so I had access to the work network. I've helped my wife setup VPN's to her work before too, so she could access their records securely, do tax stuff, etc... In all cases, it was/is of high importance.

But, those are specific reasons for a VPN. Without knowing your reason for wanting/having one, there's no way to say how important it is.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
As other's said - it really depends on what you are using it for or what is the goal you are trying to achieve?
VPN is simply an encrypted tunnel. It provides confidentiality for the information you send back and forth. But it doesn't necessarily hide where you're going per se.

I setup a VPN from point A to B. You will still know that I'm going to point B. You just have no clue what I'm doing.

However, what you're referring to is a VPN proxy. Meaning you're establishing a VPN to one of these providers (Avast, Nord, etc.) and then going to your true destination. So point A to B to C (your true destination). From a networking perspective, I can see A to B, and I can see B to C. But there is no practical way to connect the two. And thus, I don't really know where you went nor what you did just by looking at the traffic.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
What do you WANT a VPN for?

I have it on my wife's phone (VPN to our home router/network) so she can do banking/money stuff over a secure connection. Neither of us trust doing it over the cell network and Certainly don't trust any other wireless network.
I always find it funny that people don't trust a cell connection, but they'll send the same information through a third party VPN provider.

IMO, you'd better really trust that VPN provider, as every single bit of your traffic is now going through them.

But for banking (or anything secure), it's unlikely that anyone (the cell carrier or the VPN provider) can see any of it.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:25 AM

43,695 posts, read 44,435,568 times
If you travel to China, you will need a VPN to access social media and some other foreign media websites. Otherwise, I don't think the average person needs a VPN.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:43 AM

712 posts, read 555,868 times
Banking is my reason I thought I should have it. I have since cancelled it. Thanks.
I refuse to do any banking on anything but my home laptop where I had installed the VPN plus I have a password on my router

Old 04-12-2018, 07:49 AM

I bank on my phone all the time. It's really not that dangerous.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 AM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I do not use a VPN. I am not sure if it would benefit me at all.

Our bill paying is mostly done online using my Dw's PC or my PC.

Our wireless [wifi] is pretty 'secure', the router sits in our living room and you need to be line-of-sight from it to get a signal. So it only works in our living room. With the exception of being in people's private homes there is no wifi in our township.

I have never been just driving along the interstate when I suddenly had the 'need' to pay my utility bill with my cell phone.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:17 PM

I want to know what kind of router this is that uses "line of sight". Never heard of such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet