Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 12:10 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,577,256 times

Advertisements

Who here uses a Satellite dish for the Internet? Even one bundled with TV service? And how do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 03:34 AM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
I use Exede (viasat). Latency is an issue and my older plan has bandwidth restrictions and caps that are outdated. The new viasat bird has more reasonable access IF you can get it. Hughesnet was a complete disaster for me.

If you are a gamer, don't even consider satellite.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I use Exede (viasat). Latency is an issue and my older plan has bandwidth restrictions and caps that are outdated. The new viasat bird has more reasonable access IF you can get it. Hughesnet was a complete disaster for me.

I don't game.. I appreciate the heads-up. (I know many people "game." I work and make money..)

If you are a gamer, don't even consider satellite.

The "New Viasat bird?" They have a new dish then?

I just noticed that there are four dishes on my block alone. Soon to be a 5th..

So do you like your service? I assume you have Standard Double Play, and your DirecTV bundled?

Does it work in snow or rain? (Or wind)

Old 10-28-2018, 05:28 PM

I dropped Directv before it was sold to AT&T. I had the FTC, FCC and Public Service Board involved in resolving an issue I had with AT&T. I won, where most people don't. If you are going to be dealing with them, all I can suggest is to document everything three ways and if they try anything hold their feet to the fire.

Exede is, as I said, an older set of plans and uses the first viasat satellite (which also hosts military communications and is one reason I like it). I'd love to upgrade to the new Viasat plans, but those are not available in my zip code.

Even though my Exede plan has a 10 gig cap per month and some slowing during peak times, I'm OK with it, as I'm often up during the midnight to five AM free data zone. I also use their VOIP phone. In heavy snow, I either brush of the dish or bag the whole thing in a plastic bag. Heavy rain does cause dropouts of service, but it does fine in lighter rain that isn't a downpour. Outages are typically less than half an hour.

I've found the techs honest and decent. If you have to go satellite, and understand the drawbacks, this is the only way to go.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:17 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,091,244 times
I've seen the viasat commercials where they are advertising 25m on their new sat at $50 a month.
Hughesnet is advertising the same thing. They call theirs gen5
But remember, they are satellite services and you will lose signal when it rains and weather maps show orange and red south of where your dish is pointed. [I've had DISH for years]

Old 11-06-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I dropped Directv before it was sold to AT&T. I had the FTC, FCC and Public Service Board involved in resolving an issue I had with AT&T. I won, where most people don't. If you are going to be dealing with them, all I can suggest is to document everything three ways and if they try anything hold their feet to the fire.

Exede is, as I said, an older set of plans and uses the first viasat satellite (which also hosts military communications and is one reason I like it). I'd love to upgrade to the new Viasat plans, but those are not available in my zip code.

Even though my Exede plan has a 10 gig cap per month and some slowing during peak times, I'm OK with it, as I'm often up during the midnight to five AM free data zone. I also use their VOIP phone. In heavy snow, I either brush of the dish or bag the whole thing in a plastic bag. Heavy rain does cause dropouts of service, but it does fine in lighter rain that isn't a downpour. Outages are typically less than half an hour.

I've found the techs honest and decent. If you have to go satellite, and understand the drawbacks, this is the only way to go.

Sweet. For your review of them, you would say this is current, they are still a good service?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Sweet. For your review of them, you would say this is current, they are still a good service?
Yes.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 AM

16,556 posts, read 19,734,014 times
Had DisH Network for 2 years. Signal loss maybe 7-8 times due to weather. Not often at all.
Only one time in those 2 years was it ever at a crucial moment
"And the killer is..... @STATIC=SIGNAL LOSS@
Nooooooooo
Just once... certainly livable. And it was never more then a few minutes.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Had DisH Network for 2 years. Signal loss maybe 7-8 times due to weather. Not often at all.
Only one time in those 2 years was it ever at a crucial moment
"And the killer is..... @STATIC=SIGNAL LOSS@
Nooooooooo
Just once... certainly livable. And it was never more then a few minutes.
Yeah, rain fade and dropouts are more marketing issues than major ones.

As for that problem with dish...
Spoiler
The butler did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet