Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM

164 posts, read 516,721 times

Advertisements

I've just been laid off and, although I have a little bit of time to make the decision, I don't want to put this off. What to do with my 401(k)?

My 401(k) is fairly large, though not as large as I thought it would be at this point in my life (just under 2 hundred thousand). I'm 45 years old. When I first started out at age 29, I chose the least risky mutual funds that were available.

I'm much more high risk right now in my choices of mutual funds. I still like to choose a mutual fund and keep it. My company has chosen mutual funds and then gotten rid of them, forcing those of us invested in it to sell. My current 401(k) only has about 21 investment choices, and I don't really like all the choices. In fact, I'm invested in 7 of the 8 funds that I like.

I don't trust the financial solvency of the company I worked for and my old coworkers don't either. However, they recently moved the handling of all paperwork to the large investment company.

I'd like to have more choices of mutual funds, probably move it to T.Rowe Price or Vangard. I don't think I want to invest in individual stocks.

Am I better off keeping it with the company's choice...do they pay for the management fees or am I currently paying management fees and just not seeing it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,107 times
You're usually better off rolling it into an IRA. Reasons are you (usually) have far more investment options and you have more control. So where to open your IRA? Either with a discount broker such as Scottrade (no annual fees), TDAmeritrade, etc., or, if you think you'll be investing in, say, Vanguard funds, you could open your IRA with them and avoid fund transaction fees. But yeah, I'd roll it.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Roll it and make sure you do not get a check yourself..have a direct transfer of money.
Got with a bigger firm..Vanguard or Fidelity for peace of mind and a good choice of investments.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:01 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
My wife and I have had numerous 401s and all were rolled over to Fidelity except one that included a fund that would not be available to the IRA... and it will get rolled over eventually.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM

164 posts, read 516,721 times
Thanks for the replies. What are Fidelity's expenses like?

The company 401(k) is managed through Fidelity, and I like them, but if I'm on my own I'll be concerned about expense ratios and management fees. Hence my thinking about Vanguard.

When my company first started the 401(k), we only had 3 choices, Fidelity Retirement Moneymarket, Fidelity Puritan and Fidelity Magellan, then they added Fidelity Asset Manager. I was forced to sell my shares of Asset Manager when they dumped it and then a few years ago it was Magellan. I just hate someone else telling me to sell.

I was with my company for 20.5 years...so I tend to like to stick to things once I invest in it.

Anyway, they now offer other company funds besides Fidelity Funds. They just don't have a good track record of keeping the same funds around.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
The company 401(k) is managed through Fidelity, and I like them, but if I'm on my own I'll be concerned about expense ratios and management fees. Hence my thinking about Vanguard.
Vanguard's cheap, that's for sure. Just a FYI, you are paying fund management fees (which are part of the expense ratio) while investing through your 401k too. Every mutual fund has them, regardless of how they're acquired, and they can't be avoided...only minimized.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,785 times
Definitely roll it. I'd go with Fidelity or T. Rowe Price. Lots of offerings, low fees. Get the forms into the old company ASAP. BTW, $200K at your young age, may not be where you'd like to be, but you're way ahead of your cohort!

golfgod

Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,103,949 times
If you are not happy with current selections in your Fidelity 401(k) rollover into Vanguard and use only indexed Funds. The fees are very low and perfomance is connected to indexes and you will be winner in the long run.
Good luck

Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
Smile T. Rowe and Vangard are excellent choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
I'd like to have more choices of mutual funds, probably move it to T.Rowe Price or Vangard.
You have answered your own question wisely. Those two companies offer a huge variety of no-load mutual fund choices, and both companies offer seriously capable, sound fund management -- as you undoubtedly know since you chose them.

Your 401k itself is not currently charging you management fees since that would be illegal. The mutual funds in which the 401k is invested being no-load funds or load funds is the only determination of fees.

Instead of asking anonymous strangers about a company's fees, Google the company, go to their website, look up the actual information or call their 800 number and get the actual information. Sounds like a plan, eh?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 PM

323 posts, read 2,089,210 times
Roll it....

Make sure when you ask for the account to be liquidated the check is made to the new fund...believe that's how it works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing