Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:26 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times

Advertisements

Anybody bailing from E-Trade?

And who do you like the best-- Schwab or Ameritrade?

I think E-Trade was the best online broker, until they got into mortgages. According to CNN, 60% of the mortgages they financed in 2006 and 2007 were no doc. No way that's gonna end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Anybody bailing from E-Trade?

And who do you like the best-- Schwab or Ameritrade?

I think E-Trade was the best online broker, until they got into mortgages. According to CNN, 60% of the mortgages they financed in 2006 and 2007 were no doc. No way that's gonna end well.
Schwab & Fidelity have the best reputations. I don't think Etrade will go BK and someone will buy them out first. It's really a shame because I've heard that Etrades website is laid out really well. If they do go BK maybe the new brokerage will adopt Etrades website and format.

Wishful thinking I guess

Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times
Yes, I think E-trade has the best website, too-- light year's ahead of Schwab's. But they are way overexposed to this subprime mess and I talked to a broker in the Brentwood office today and he says the employees are really worried. I'm not sure which financial institution can afford to buy into that kind of subprime exposure, unless they do it for a very low value.

With Countrywide and E-trade both out there, wonder who'd be willing to come to the table and buy them up? Of course, there was all that talk about Buffett...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Some information here!

E*Trade Plunges 59% On Analyst Warnings; Bank Unit Goes Awry - WSJ.com

Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
I prefer Scottrade, and they have all my retirement accounts plus kids & spouse personal accounts + each of their IRA's (Roth and Traditionals.. so about 10 accounts here). They have been very accurate and fast executions (I have never lost a trade, or a statement, and get checks in one day when I need $$$ ) and they are really low cost, hassle free, and a real person on the line when you call. Many offices for your conveinence, but that must add to cost... tho they continue to be one of the cheapest. $7 for limit orders
Online Discount Brokers, Online Stock Trading, Stock Investing, Mutual Funds, IRA - Scottrade

I use Hybridtrading for my trust and personal $$ as they have quite attractive Margin Rates. (for financing that occassional "good deal" real estate or collectable, checkwriting on margin is very handy compared to getting a construction loan...+ you first use your credit card and get mileage, then a margin check to pay off balance). Also a good customer service broker, who actually answers the phone...and has a very nice platform with good tracking of cost basis... (built by previous employees of Bidwell and Co, Which got bought by Ameritrade)
https://www.hybridtrading.com/hybrid/

thinkorswim is awesome for quick executions and a must for options. Their software, forums and training (redoptionplanet) is hands down best ...if you have access to Hi-speed... (which I have to travel 40 miles to use...)
thinkorswim Home - Stock Option Investing - Stock Option Trading - Online Trading Stocks and Options
ratings / comments here
Ratings for thinkorswim
folks (including me really like their free classes. What an education !!! If only I would have known this stuff 30 yrs ago...

I have tried Ameritrade and PW (now one...) and Etrade, but much prefer those listed above.

here is another site that compares brokers, Dogs of the Dow - Top Dog Brokers - Best Online Brokers

plus there is probably one on Motley Fool site
Stock Brokers | Choosing a Stock Brokerage

Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
A lot of people are bailing out of E*Trade to move their funds to their accounts at Schwab or Fidelity. Accounts are insured by S.P.I.C. in any event but moving them now avoids possible delays in executing trades if E*Trade goes under. Suspect many are selling out positions today and moving the proceeds to their other account after settlement of trades, which takes less time than transferring your account to another brokerage.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,892 times
We have CyberTrader as a platform for almost 6 years and have never had any issue at all. Schwab bought them a few years ago and we are going thru the transition soon, next month as a matter of fact.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
I like TD Ameritrade a lot. I use them. But they are not very user friendly though. I would not recommend it for someone who needs a lot of guidance.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,746 times
I just joined Scottrade a few weeks ago and was very pleased with the on line and personal support. This is my first time trading stocks and so far it has been an exciting experience and Scottrade has made it easy. Their knowledge tools are very educational. If you use a limit order and it isn’t filled, at first it appears as though you are charged for a trade but shortly afterward it is credited back to your account. Hope this has been helpful. [mod edit - soliciting]
Thanks, Julia

Last edited by Oildog; 05-19-2011 at 11:58 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
is there a reason the mods don't lock these old old old threads so they can't be posted to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing