Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

I have made significant amounts of money on this stock twice in my life. 2003 or 2004, and then again in 2009.

I had been thinking about getting in again for several months now. They are the second largest CPU manufacturing company in the world. There is always going to be significant demand. They have a decent segment of the market and there is no reason to think they will not retain that.

Good chance I go through with this tomorrow. What are your thoughts on this stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,248 times
I don't like AMD right now. I think it may go lower. Desktop and laptop sales will be pretty weak for a while. Most custom builders have either stuck with Intel or switched to Intel so AMD lost all those potential upgrades down the road. AMD's latest CPUs are way behind Intel's latest CPUs so AMD has lost its "bang for the buck" appeal. AMD GPUs are still popular but the market is small and they share it with Nvidia.

I think earnings will stay flat this year and drop next year. Revenue will probably drop for a few years. Most analysts disagree with me on revenue and earnings but we can all agree that AMD has some other serious issues that should worry investors. Return on equity is almost -50% and net margin is almost -40%. I think Bulldozer was the beginning of the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing