Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 19,249 times

Advertisements

Here's footage of it at the bottom of this post. More and more banks are using this and I think it's not only reckless but a MUCH higher liability then just giving the robber the money and letting him be on his way. For 3 reasons:

1. If you've watch the footage, you'll see that if a customer happened to be leaning on the counter to fill out or sign something at another teller window when the screen was activated by different teller who got the robbery demand note, then that customer just got decapitated.

2. The activation both rises the screen and locks the bank door. The robber is now a cornered animal, and a cornered animal will do anything to escape.

Well nearly every bank robber has a gun, even if they slip a robbery demand note without displaying it. Robbers almost always have one in case they meet unexpected resistance or some customer tries to be a hero.

Congratulations dumb bank for trapping the bank customers in the same lobby as the robber. Now you've got a hostage situation.

3. The robber can make the teller think twice about activating the security screen by slipping a note that says:

"If you activate the security screen I will draw my gun and kill all the customers in the lobby. Now give me all the money."

If any of these three things happen, the bank has both the liability and bad publicity that GREATLY exceeds letting the robber make off with the mere few thousand in the tills when 90% plus percent of them are caught anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_mfjHzr5uc They started out in the UK but more and more US banks are using them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 03:05 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Just allow people to get CCW licenses that way if anyone tries to pull some awful act, he will get his head blown off the second he threatens to start killing innocent people in the lobby.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Just allow people to get CCW licenses that way if anyone tries to pull some awful act, he will get his head blown off the second he threatens to start killing innocent people in the lobby.
I don think the wild Wild West solution goes down as you describe and I'm not against ccw or chl

OP do you have any stats of this growing trend of use in the US? Houston has been a hotspot for bank robberies and I'm not aware of a single instance where this device was used

Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,014,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfighter1998 View Post
1. If you've watch the footage, you'll see that if a customer happened to be leaning on the counter to fill out or sign something at another teller window when the screen was activated by different teller who got the robbery demand note, then that customer just got decapitated.
The video doesn't show something that is going to be decapitating people. It's got a blunt side on it and it's not being pushed up with enough force.

Why is this pointless complaint in the investing forum?

Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
if the robber cant succeed, there will be less robberies. these fast rising screens seem like a positive. also, ccw permits for citizens is a positive also.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:24 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,014,802 times
I don't trust your average CCW holder much more than a robber.

I'm not against CCW. I'll probably get one myself. But cops go through the amount of training they do for a reason.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:32 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
But cops go through the amount of training they do for a reason.
And in general they are pretty crappy when shooting under duress

Old 04-19-2015, 05:03 PM

919 posts, read 847,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I am not sure what this thread is doing in the Investing forum. However...

Yes in theory people should be responsible gun owners.
Here on earth in real life, more guns in the society equal more gun deaths, either via homicide or suicide.
I have no political bias re the Second Amendment, but I'd rather trust statistics than ideology.
Given people's (lack of) control of their emotions, less available guns = safer society.
I can provide a host of links but here are two:
Gun Deaths vs. Gun Ownership ? Inductio Ex Machina ? Mark Reid
Homicide | Harvard Injury Control Research Center | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
What does this have to do with investing?

Old 04-19-2015, 06:04 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,294,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth
But cops go through the amount of training they do for a reason.
And in general they are pretty crappy when shooting under duress
No they're not. They've hit everything they've been shooting at in every story I've read recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing