Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,410 times

Advertisements

I have all my investments with Vanguard, and have been very happy with them, but I've been looking into a decent dividend fund and SCHD seems to fit the bill better than any of Vanguards offerings.

Fine and dandy.

However on a completely unrelated note I've strongly been considering putting 10k into Vanguards health fund (VGHCX), when I stumbled upon Schwab's health fund offering (SWHFX).

I used two comparison tools and got very different results.

Vanguards tool makes the Vanguard fund looks superior (duh?) and MacroAxis has SWHFX with better returns, but higher fees (ugh) and lower dividends (meh-that's what SCHD would be for).

now, having never looked outside Vanguard, I'm not used to comparison tools.

Can anyone tell me what gives?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 PM

30,899 posts, read 36,980,033 times
VGHCX is mediocre because of its very large asset base. But it has lower expenses and better returns for the trailing 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15 year time periods. Ideally, I'd look for another fund altogether. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with VGHCX without a doubt.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:04 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
VGHCX is mediocre because of its very large asset base. But it has lower expenses and better returns for the trailing 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15 year time periods. Ideally, I'd look for another fund altogether. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with VGHCX without a doubt.
I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I've never bought a sector specific fund before.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 PM

30,899 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I've never bought a sector specific fund before.
Some of the best funds in the health care category are closed. I like T. Rowe Price Health Sciences, but it's closed to new investors.

Fidelity Select Health Care has better 3, 5, & 10 year returns, but hasn't done as well more recently or for the 15 year returns. I am not super familiar with all the funds in this category, so I'd say it's a toss up between Fidelity & Vanguard. I'd go with Vanguard because of the lower costs and lower volatility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing