Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:30 PM

893 posts, read 510,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat1964 View Post
Still hanging in guys. I had a couple of really bad days where I drank way too much (an entire case of beer, which was bad since I'm not a drinker and don't have tolerance built up) but I'm starting to finish the grief cycle and move on. One thing is for sure I don't want to be another Jesse Livermore. I would welcome a quick, painless death through a random accident but I won't be taking any active steps to get out of this world.
Glad to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM

67 posts, read 65,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Glad you're hanging in there! One day at a time is all you need to focus on. Don't worry about the future, the future will take care of itself if you stay present in the here & now.
I pretty much agree with that. Biggest issue now is getting over anger. I was lucky to be in a position where I could be independent and not have to work a regular gig. Now that's long gone. I realize most people aren't as lucky as I was (key word was) and that's what makes it the hardest I think. Just the absolute stupidity. I am getting over the feeling of being "beaten" by the market, but the lack of flexibility in day to day life is burning now.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
Glad to hear from you!
Glad to be here! Got really good advice here, just got to keep putting it into practice.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:58 PM

70 posts, read 69,829 times
50 with 100k is doable with smart investing, hopefully finding an additional source of income (find a way to learn something new, generate small cash for basic living expenses), reinvent yourself.

You're life expectancy is quite possibly another 30+ years, you got this, and more than most.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeLand View Post
50 with 100k is doable with smart investing, hopefully finding an additional source of income (find a way to learn something new, generate small cash for basic living expenses), reinvent yourself.

You're life expectancy is quite possibly another 30+ years, you got this, and more than most.
Oh Lord, 30 years! I hope not ha ha!

Been trying to think about this philosophically. It certainly stinks, that I had reached an amount affording me some independence and then wiped myself out. Believe it not, I rate this as one of the very few worst mistakes of my life (I've been pretty lucky).

Then I got to thinking- in terms of quick, snap awful decisions, it could be so much worse. People who are paralyzed from horsing around, or kill a family drunk driving. Those are a couple of things that I'm not sure I could bounce back from. So many people have such worse circumstances and would love to change places. So I need to suck it up.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:45 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Someone may have already said this but the best way to have a million in the stock market is to start with two million. Glad you're back.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,918 times
OP, don't forget you can carry your losses forward to offset gains in future years.

Best of luck to you

Old 10-02-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
OP, don't forget you can carry your losses forward to offset gains in future years.

Best of luck to you
Now at $3K per year I just need to live 133 years ha ha!

I achieved a bit of inner peace today when I blocked texts from a trading acquaintance. He continued to tell me how much money he has made buying puts on the VIX instruments. Supposedly he turned 100K into 1 million the past month and was amazed I didn't get back in to make my losses back. He got aggressive, so BOOM into spam bin he went.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:05 PM

18,060 posts, read 15,653,675 times
There are other ways to eat up capital gains losses, like on the profits from sale of an asset in which capital gains would be taxed (like a house).

It sure would be nice to be able to apply more than $3K/year to ordinary income though. I personally could benefit from that!

Can A Capital Loss Carryover To The Next Year?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
There are other ways to eat up capital gains losses, like on the profits from sale of an asset in which capital gains would be taxed (like a house).

It sure would be nice to be able to apply more than $3K/year to ordinary income though. I personally could benefit from that!

Can A Capital Loss Carryover To The Next Year?
Yes sir, with $500K in capital losses, I need to live to be over 200 years old! That'd be one for the books!

Amazing, people are making (and losing) truly staggering amounts in this market. I have heard both people turning 100K into 1 million and 200K into negative 200K (broker attaching personal assets). What a scam it all is! Big money pushing it up and down at their whim and if you don't know which way they're pushing it's tough!

Have to admit, while I have absolutely ruled out killing myself, I continue to hope and pray for a quick painless death where I just don't wake up one morning. I know it's too much to hope for, but you know what they say about the power of positive thinking, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing