Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 04:37 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,745,950 times

Advertisements

I'm currently 31 years of age. I enjoy following the markets, not simply because I have an invested interest in the volatility of certain companies, but I enjoy being ahead of the curve and knowing whats actually going on in the world in terms of innovation, technology, and other facets that contribute to the global marketplace.

However, let's just say that having an intelligent conversation in regards to how good or poor certain hip stocks like Amazon, Google, Tesla, etc. are performing is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Maybe 1 in every 10 of my peers has a clue about the innovation and performance of many of these well liked S&P companies that they use practically every day.

All this leads me to my final thought. It appears as if millennials and other young folks in their 20's and early 30's have changed their buying mentality from an "invest and save for the future" to a "I want it now because everyone else has it" mentality. This of course, combined with a stagnant job economy, the increased dependency of inherited wealth, as well as other recent social factors seems to have made investing almost a thing of the past for many millennials. Your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:40 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,426,236 times
My impression was that millennials are very thrifty...if they have jobs! But investing long term has very little to do with knowing what a "hip" stock is trading at daily and more about what index funds are doing well with the cheapest ERs.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:34 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,127,268 times
I have a millennial daughter and know lots of her friends. Most appear to be very thrifty and are saving for the future. There is much less consumerism and buying on credit. Most have had some difficulty starting careers and are very cautious about money.

Speculating on stocks and playing the markets are pretty much the opposite of long term savings. In fact that sort of "investing" is more like gambling. Innovation and individual company performance often has little to do with the performance of the stocks. I also suspect many millennials are very suspicious about Wall St, stock manipulation, insider trading, etc, etc.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 AM

127 posts, read 111,510 times
If I had to guess I'd say that not much more than 1 in 10 of any age demographic follow stocks and enjoy talking about them. This doesn't mean that they don't invest though (said as a millennial who is largely in broad index funds but doesn't follow the movements of individual stocks all that closely).

Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
My millenium kids were too afraid of loosing money so I played safe and put their retirement savings 100% in stocks, despite their protest but what the heck, they have time.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:52 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,033,182 times
I'm sure that "less" aren't, although fewer may be.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My millenium kids were too afraid of loosing money so I played safe and put their retirement savings 100% in stocks, despite their protest but what the heck, they have time.
Jim Cramer's general bond / stock allocation ratio recommendation: Younger than 30 - No reason to own bonds

Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,907,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Speculating on stocks and playing the markets are pretty much the opposite of long term savings. In fact that sort of "investing" is more like gambling.
True, speculating is the opposite of saving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Innovation and individual company performance often has little to do with the performance of the stocks.
Over the long term, it has a lot to do with the performance.

I'm getting the impression that you feel like buying a good stock or fund and managing it over time is equivalent to just speculating and taking a flier on something.

Traditional "saving" is just a guaranteed way to lose money these days.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:17 PM

242 posts, read 245,247 times
I am 34 and I invest. I watch the market daily and make moves both for the short term and for the long term depending on the situation. I find the same thing the OP does in that many of my peers simply dont care. Some people play horseshoes, some do crosswords, some invest. There is a butt for every seat.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:23 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,695,729 times
Millennials have recency bias. All they know is the "lost decade" of the 2000's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing