Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times

Advertisements

It maybe hard to tell as consumer but as business owner, a few of her projects got moved toward 2016. She may have to lay off or cut hours of her employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 10:40 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
It may be a recession in the oil patch by now. The other states are entering a boom phase.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:39 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
It may be a recession in the oil patch by now. The other states are entering a boom phase.
Yeah. D.C. They just passed a $1.3 trillion dollar civil service pension/early retirement bill.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yes base on my kids business. It started last year.
Wouldn't we already know if that was the case?

Old 01-11-2016, 07:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Read something the other day that did worry me...
I bought a Fidelity sector fund last year when I made my IRA/Roth conversion--
Fidelity's Transportation fund==
I thought with reduced gas prices that would likely be a good choice in a growing economy-and it has good history of profitability--had good gains past 2-3 years...
It has not done well since I bought it--not just because of the market drop in the summer...

Then I read that TRANSPORTATION is a leading indicator for recession/shrinking economy---
When transportation is not growing---the economy isn't either...

So that fact has me concerned despite the general high level of economic activity in my home state--TX--which is seeing big influx of companies relocating from other areas and causing housing prices to be very high, lot of competition in housing market, job growth is good as well even for higher paying jobs....
But I think in other states there is likely not the same surge ---
And yes-there are areas that are pulling back due to oil prices being cut--
Midland and Odessa area are seeing prices in housing start to drop--
Other areas seeing some layoffs with smaller oil producers/drillers
Depends on how over-extended (and there was lot of that) companies might have been...

The Saudis now are discussing turning Aramco public--so I know they are hurting for money by continuing this oil blitz at such low prices--their social system/economy is tied to oil profits--nothing really diversified in that country and so many people out of work and a drain on the profits--not to mention the excesses of the very wealthy...

Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Wouldn't we already know if that was the case?
Sometimes it's lagging. She is small business and feels it first. But I read on cnbc, venture capital is down significantly on Q4.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Sometimes it's lagging. She is small business and feels it first. But I read on cnbc, venture capital is down significantly on Q4.
What do you mean it's lagging? The GDP is the GDP.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Oil rich sovereign wealth funds are pulling record money out of the markets to cover holes in their budgets. This has something to do with the large declines I'm guessing. Just a hunch. If you read the headlines, domestically the US is firing on all cylinders lately, jobs are increasing, oil prices way down giving more discretionary spending.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
What do you mean it's lagging? The GDP is the GDP.
You need two quarters of negative GDPs and the numbers could be revised later.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:01 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
I'm noticing a lot of chatter about the coming recession. Or whether we are actually currently in it.
I was too young to really experience the start of the last recession with respect to what was happening in the business world. Are there similar scenarios happening today as back then. What are experienced business-peoples thoughts?
Btw, this is not to be a doom and gloom post. Just looking for opinions.

Recession people are worried about is already here: Investor

The Recession Caused by Low Oil Prices - WSJ
What is coming is huge, great depression huge, not a recession. To answer your question, no, we have not started it. A lot of people were calling for it back in August, and they are calling for it again with recent market volatility. Since August, they pumped the market right back up, and they can do it again this time too. The reason is nothing has "broke." Something needs to break as in a large bank going down, and then you need 2 negative quarters of gdp before the next "recession" can officially be called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing