Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:34 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Alcoa has been practising these for some time now.

They did the same a quarter ago as well.

But i read a deal with GE was cut.

Couple of billions, not bad
You figure that deal is a done deal? You ever work for sales in a large corporation? PR releases are cheap. Getting the cash is a bit more difficult.

But the computers know better. Alcoa off 9% today. Mirage deals or otherwise.

Only one person knows what's really going on and that's the CEO. Everything else is just stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
How does this article and the moving average it refers to fit anyone's hypothesis???

This stock-market
His sampling size is the last Bull Market. Pretty absurd.

Easy technical analysis is observing the major highs and lows. Lower highs, lower lows = Bear Market. Big money is getting out.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,559,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
You figure that deal is a done deal? You ever work for sales in a large corporation? PR releases are cheap. Getting the cash is a bit more difficult.

But the computers know better. Alcoa off 9% today. Mirage deals or otherwise.

Only one person knows what's really going on and that's the CEO. Everything else is just stories.
These stocks are getting incredibly cheap

Couple of bucks

Old 01-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
These stocks are getting incredibly cheap

Couple of bucks
Yeah. Stocks are always cheap before bankruptcy. Watch what happens to the shale oil companies and the hundreds of billions of dollars in junk bonds that they owe "investors".

The problem is that distorted capital investments are now worldwide. They are everywhere thanks to the free money from the Central Banks. The housing Bubble was limited compared to the insanity of the last 7 years. Who knows where all of this will end up but it's going to be ugly.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:15 PM

72 posts, read 294,258 times
Quote:
His sampling size is the last Bull Market. Pretty absurd.

Easy technical analysis is observing the major highs and lows. Lower highs, lower lows = Bear Market. Big money is getting out.
Do you have proof of this? As in data?

Not an anecdote or a Zerohedge article... but something credible?

Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 PM

373 posts, read 482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
I'm noticing a lot of chatter about the coming recession. Or whether we are actually currently in it.
I was too young to really experience the start of the last recession with respect to what was happening in the business world. Are there similar scenarios happening today as back then. What are experienced business-peoples thoughts?
Btw, this is not to be a doom and gloom post. Just looking for opinions.

Recession people are worried about is already here: Investor

The Recession Caused by Low Oil Prices - WSJ
No. Recession is a cycle of boom and bust. Where was the boom? I am talking about economy, not the stock market.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:36 PM

547 posts, read 507,043 times
Quote:
Remember Enron?

The market is chock full of smoke and mirrors.

Read the headlines for yesterday's Alcoa earnings announcement and then read the transcript of the follow-up telephone conference.

You think you may know what is going on, but really only the CEOs know and they ain't talking.

Enron did not have a product.
They simply brokered energy on the open market.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:43 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
What is coming is huge, great depression huge, not a recession. To answer your question, no, we have not started it. A lot of people were calling for it back in August, and they are calling for it again with recent market volatility. Since August, they pumped the market right back up, and they can do it again this time too. The reason is nothing has "broke." Something needs to break as in a large bank going down, and then you need 2 negative quarters of gdp before the next "recession" can officially be called.
Quote:
Look at the commodity chart. It has totally collapsed. It is causing massive destruction and upheavals everywhere in the world. It is the reason the Fed has to start raising rates and why Abe and Draghi can't print any more money for their stock market levitation tricks. It is a catastrophe of incredible proportions. It will be hitting out economy and bond markets very soon. Of course Alcoa's numbers are just the beginning. All a result of the Fed free money policy which totally distorted allocation of capital.

I put my post above yours so I can now explain since it has been a couple days since I posted it. Dow futures are up 159 as I speak. If they hold, this will be the 3rd up day in a row. All the losses from the first of the year can easily be made right back up because nothing has broken. I am not saying that is definitely going to happen, but it is easily possible. The drop this year is most likely another false alarm like August.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:15 AM

233 posts, read 202,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
All the losses from the first of the year can easily be made right back up because nothing has broken. I am not saying that is definitely going to happen, but it is easily possible. The drop this year is most likely another false alarm like August.
This drop is real and it's well organized, no panic selling, which means it's done by large institutions. So far this is merely a market correcting as reality sets in that the economy isn't as rosy as they think and corporate profitability growth is dropping not rising. This has further to run and may not come back.

I'm sure the institutions hope that individuals buy their way out of their mess, however, after scaring off their prey with all sorts of deviant practices like trading faster than you can type, placing tons of false orders, trading back and forth with each other, and artificially pricing IPOs it will be a tough road to get them to come back in mass.

Good Luck

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
Enron did not have a product.
They simply brokered energy on the open market.
Remember WorldCom?

You guys are way out of sync with the real business world.

The CEOs borrow billions. Stuff it in their pockets. And let the company go bust. All nice and legal and courtesy of Fed Free Money for the Billionaires policy.

Now, this has only happened twice before in the last two decades so might I ask .... When do you figure you'll wake up and stop being so naive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing