Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 01:29 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

... My understanding is that, if there is a divorce, in many states assets are split "equitably."

But if:
  • one party comes into the marriage with savings of $1M.
  • and the other comes in with debt of $1M.
  • and during the course of the marriage their accounts grow to a total of $2M.
Is the $2M then split evenly? Or is there an accounting that says the $2M grew from the savings and not from the debt?

In theory, the assets are to be distributed "fairly", yet there are no set formulas - so does this mean assets are distributed on a whim?

What has your actual experience been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 01:46 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,764,588 times
It depends on the laws of the state in which the couple resides at the time of divorce.

If it's a community property state, the $1M savings and $1M debt would be separate property (belong to the spouse that owned them at the time of the marriage). The $1M that the savings account grew during the marriage would be community property and in theory each would get $500K. Of course the distribution could change depending on the facts of the case.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:00 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Did the person who brought the savings account add to/use it during the marriage?

people seem to think everything is split in a divorce, it isn't. The things that were used during the marriage belong to both partners. The things that came in separate and kept separate are separate at divorce

I suppose the person could have split the $1 million into several accounts before marriage. Then spend each one down as needed? the rest being untouched by marriage would still be his.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:33 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
having had a similar divorce situation ... although with not as large a sum as the OP's example ... in a community property state (Colorado) ...

you will find this to be a fairly "sticky" situation.

Through the course of the acrimonious divorce, my lawyers repeatedly told me that the only way to protect one's pre-marital assets was through a pre-nup agreement. At that, it's still not a totally ironclad resolution of what may happen in the future.

the laws of the state where the divorce is taking place are important as to how the assets will be split.

Also, the attitude of the court will be significant as to what they will accept for a settlement between the parties. At the time of my divorce, Colorado judges overwhelmingly favored that the assets go to the ex-wife in the assumption that she'd need the money more than the husband. For me, the settlement amounted to 90% of my pre-marital assets going to my financially inept ex ... she never saw a dollar that she couldn't leverage to spend a whole bunch more. No, it wasn't a "fair" settlement, but at least I was rid of her after she abandoned me and the kids.

YMMV. Seek out the best counsel you can find, they may be worth it.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-16-2017 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 05:38 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
Look up separate property for the state you live in.

I think you will find that the 1m in assets had to stay in that persons name the whole marriage.

The split does not have to be 50/50.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,554 times
The amount will either be agreed upon or decided by the court

Old 06-18-2017, 08:05 AM

5,302 posts, read 6,185,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
... My understanding is that, if there is a divorce, in many states assets are split "equitably."

But if:
  • one party comes into the marriage with savings of $1M.
  • and the other comes in with debt of $1M.
  • and during the course of the marriage their accounts grow to a total of $2M.
Is the $2M then split evenly? Or is there an accounting that says the $2M grew from the savings and not from the debt?

In theory, the assets are to be distributed "fairly", yet there are no set formulas - so does this mean assets are distributed on a whim?
Anyone with assets of $1 million+ coming into a marriage and/or a future spouse with a large negative net worth should have a pre-nuptial agreement prepared by a lawyer specializing in such things. This also applies to community property states. As part of the pre-nup, both parties state their assets and liabilities so that there can be no confusion in a divorce settlement.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
having had a similar divorce situation ... although with not as large a sum as the OP's example ... in a community property state (Colorado) ...

you will find this to be a fairly "sticky" situation.

Through the course of the acrimonious divorce, my lawyers repeatedly told me that the only way to protect one's pre-marital assets was through a pre-nup agreement. At that, it's still not a totally ironclad resolution of what may happen in the future.

the laws of the state where the divorce is taking place are important as to how the assets will be split.

Also, the attitude of the court will be significant as to what they will accept for a settlement between the parties. At the time of my divorce, Colorado judges overwhelmingly favored that the assets go to the ex-wife in the assumption that she'd need the money more than the husband. For me, the settlement amounted to 90% of my pre-marital assets going to my financially inept ex ... she never saw a dollar that she couldn't leverage to spend a whole bunch more. No, it wasn't a "fair" settlement, but at least I was rid of her after she abandoned me and the kids.

YMMV. Seek out the best counsel you can find, they may be worth it.
I know a guy that did something similar. He figured it was worth it to write her a check, and be done with it, rather than continue to pay lawyers and spend time and anguish fighting it.

He has seen, and I have seen, where couples fight each other from solvency into bankruptcy in short order.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I know a guy that did something similar. He figured it was worth it to write her a check, and be done with it, rather than continue to pay lawyers and spend time and anguish fighting it.

He has seen, and I have seen, where couples fight each other from solvency into bankruptcy in short order.
At that point you're spending her money, I say go nuts IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing