Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 11:06 PM

367 posts, read 488,386 times

Advertisements

I am new to stock investing, but have some funds in 401k's and IRA's on Vanguard. I tried to buy the funds on on Vanguard but it asks me which fund I want to trade? I don't want to trad, I just want to buy. What website do you guys use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:37 PM

270 posts, read 203,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I am new to stock investing, but have some funds in 401k's and IRA's on Vanguard. I tried to buy the funds on on Vanguard but it asks me which fund I want to trade? I don't want to trad, I just want to buy. What website do you guys use?
Trade is the term that many platforms use. after selecting the trade button you can buy sell etc. I use fidelity but recently I've been using an app called robinhood to purchase stocks everything else I use fidelity. I only use robinhood to buy stocks because they let me buy stocks without a no transaction fee. most platforms charge $5+ per transaction. They also give you a free stock if someone refers you or you refer a friend to use their app. Here's my link if you want to use it. the stock you get is random. https://share.robinhood.com/jonathl1231. you don't get the stock until you buy a share of something just an fyi.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Trade means buy/sell. Are you purchasing/selling within the 401k/IRA? If so, you can only use Vanguard and trade within the 401k or IRA.

I have IRAs at TRowePrice and Schwab. I am given the option of exchanging/purchasing/selling TRowePrice funds w/in TRowePrice IRA. Non-TRowePrice Funds/stocks/etfs are purchased through the IRA brokerage account set up within the TRowePrice IRA. Schwab also allows me to trade within the IRA mutual funds, stocks, etfs, etc. all on one platform.

If you are buying/selling outside of the 401k/IRA, then you need a separate account (taxable) for that. I'm sure you can set one up on Vanguard - or else use another brokerage firm into which you'll have to deposit money - like TDAmeritrade.

But, if you want to trade within your 401k/IRA, you do that at Vanguard. Call their customer service if you can't figure it out.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-27-2017 at 01:44 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 04:46 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Fidelity
Ameritrade
Scottrade

Old 12-27-2017, 05:22 AM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
I tried to buy the funds on on Vanguard but it asks me which fund I want to trade?
Call the 800# and ask for help.
But the first step is saying FUND when you mean that... and avoid STOCKS altogether at this stage.
Next step is knowing whether you want Index or Mutual or ETF.

Ask the people in the HR dept at work too.
Someone there should have a clue.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:44 AM

309 posts, read 246,566 times
Quote:
I have used vanguard in the past. Below is how it works:
1. You transfer money from your checking/savings etc acct to Vanguard Account. Lets say you transfer $100 from your checking acct at Bank of America to Vanguard. As soon as you do that, Vanguard would put these $100 in its money market acct "fund" (VMMXX).
2. Now you can buy any of the Vanguard Mutual funds or ETF by using VMMXX "fund". whenever Vanguard asks "which fund you want to trade", just say VMMXX.

If you have 401K or IRA, your money would already be invested in some type of investment vehicle (mutual funds or ETF). Vanguard is asking whether you want to sell one of your existing mutual fund/etf and buy a new one or whether you want to inject more cash from checking/savings acct to buy new mutual fund/etf.
I am assuming you want to inject more cash so please follow step 1 and 2 i mentioned above.

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing