Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:43 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,319,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I noticed it's missing defense/aerospace.

Lockheed and Boeing might be a good choice for that category.
Agree.
Boeing has had such a huge run up (which I missed completely)...won't touch it.
However defense is always a good play in a world gone crazy. I bought a bit of Raytheon last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM

24,411 posts, read 27,029,855 times
Quote:
Here is a good place:

Just buy those. Market crashes, they will go down, but it is unlikely that they will die off. If anything, in the future, there will be more consolidation, so they will have a larger percentage of total market cap.

Can't help you with allocations. Well, I can, but I don't know if it would be helpful because I can't predict the future. Look up different methods to allocate your portfolio, but you can't go wrong with those companies.

Maybe add some speculative stuff like some crappy biotech stocks that never produce anything ever.
I disagree with this advice.

The benefit of choosing individual stocks is maximizing your gains to do better than the market. If you just blindly buy these, you may as wel save the commission and just buy a market ETF like SPY or VTI.

I remember when I was buying a lot of AAPL and it wasn’t a large part of funds. You want to use your own judgement in deciding which stocks will show strong growth. That is how you maximize the benefit of choosing individuals stocks in my opinion. Otherwise, save the headache and commission and just buy a market ETF.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM

3,542 posts, read 3,743,211 times
I have found sites like Yahoo! and even broker information are not always up to date and/or just plain inaccurate with some of their data (share count, EPS, etc). Those sites are good for getting a quick snapshot to start with, or for general research, but you really have to read the latest quarterly report and annual report on any company to get the numbers and info directly yourself. That's the best way to get the true picture of what's going on within a company. Also, focus on what the company is saying, not what some pundit or article says is going on. Read their news/press releases for future expectations and so forth.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,104,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I have found sites like Yahoo! and even broker information are not always up to date and/or just plain inaccurate with some of their data (share count, EPS, etc). Those sites are good for getting a quick snapshot to start with, or for general research, but you really have to read the latest quarterly report and annual report on any company to get the numbers and info directly yourself. That's the best way to get the true picture of what's going on within a company. Also, focus on what the company is saying, not what some pundit or article says is going on. Read their news/press releases for future expectations and so forth.
Just a FYI, broker information is provided to them by the company.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:37 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,613,618 times
My library has access to Valu-line reports which has an incredible amount of info on a single page. I can view it and print it at home while logged in with my library card. Ask the reference/business librarian. But the report icon is kinda hidden near the upper right of the page.

I used to use the motley fool stock screener where you can input a range for variables and they would produce a spreadsheet of stocks that fit. Is there anything comparable these days - I haven't looked recently.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM

3,542 posts, read 3,743,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Just a FYI, broker information is provided to them by the company.
Something isn't being adjusted in a timely manner then. I see these discrepancies all the time when reading quarterlies. For example, Yahoo!, Morningstar, your brokerage and then the company's report all can have different amounts. I don't only stick with stocks on the three major exchanges, though, so I don't know how much that has to do with it.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,200,366 times
I like gurufocus. Also, don't be afraid to buy individual stocks of good companies. Just do your research, it doesn't take a genius if you play the long term game right (don't sell when your stock falls). Also, read a lot.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,104,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Something isn't being adjusted in a timely manner then. I see these discrepancies all the time when reading quarterlies. For example, Yahoo!, Morningstar, your brokerage and then the company's report all can have different amounts. I don't only stick with stocks on the three major exchanges, though, so I don't know how much that has to do with it.
Agree, Yahoo which is pretty good can have outdated info. Morningstar is usually pretty good as well. Broker-Dealers are REQUIRED to update with company information when provided. They have either 15 or 30 days (can't remember which one at the moment) to update the record with the provided information.

And you are very correct, dealing with any OTC (pink-sheet) or off-exchange or even foreign exchanges (companies) which are not ADR's can be more of a delay/incorrect.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,195,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I disagree with this advice.

The benefit of choosing individual stocks is maximizing your gains to do better than the market. If you just blindly buy these, you may as wel save the commission and just buy a market ETF like SPY or VTI.

I remember when I was buying a lot of AAPL and it wasn’t a large part of funds. You want to use your own judgement in deciding which stocks will show strong growth. That is how you maximize the benefit of choosing individuals stocks in my opinion. Otherwise, save the headache and commission and just buy a market ETF.
My reasoning is why buy something like an S&P 500 fund when 300 of those companies may not even be around in 5 years.

You might as well go with the trend which is corporate consolidation. Those are the companies that dominate the indexes they are in anyway.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 AM

24,411 posts, read 27,029,855 times
Quote:
My reasoning is why buy something like an S&P 500 fund when 300 of those companies may not even be around in 5 years.

You might as well go with the trend which is corporate consolidation. Those are the companies that dominate the indexes they are in anyway.
The S&P 500 is made up of large cap stocks, there is no chance 300 will disappear in 5 years. Also, bad esrnings reports will not violently drop the S&P 500 unlike owning an individual stock during a bad earnings call.

Also, you want to own the company that is being bought out, not the company who is doing the buying in most cases when talking about individual stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing