Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times

Advertisements

I am trying to understand "short". Every one talks about it, but I never found a concrete example of how we can "short" . Can some one explain . I do some equity trading and just ride the surf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 12:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Going short means typcially you sold something first and will buy it back at a later time anticipating a value decline

Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,200,163 times
I'm not sure my explanation is correct, but its how I think of it.
Buying a stock without the intention of holding on to it for a long time. Buy it when it drops with plans to sell it when it goes up.
I'm thinking of doing that Monday with Apple. I've made quick money doing that. However, I usually hold on to stocks I believe in. But you can make some quick money if you know what you're doing.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:50 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
The explanation by Lowexpectations is correct.

An example would be you sell 100 shares of XYZ stock that you do not own at $10 per share. You get the $1000 and have the obligation to in the future return the shares that you borrowed to sell. If the stock falls to say $8 you can buy the shares for $800, return the shares and keep the $200. Of course, that doesn't take into consideration any additional costs (commissions, interest, dividends, etc) you may have incurred in the transactions.

If the stock price rises while you are short, you may decide to cover the short position before it goes any higher. Say it goes to $12 and you think that it may go even higher. You cover at that price and pay $1200 for 100 shares, return the shares and have lost $200 plus additional costs.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:20 AM

Ok thanks. I do some cash buying, ride the wave and sell. But regarding selling those " I do not own" , which specific product I should choose?? Is that options?? Or just margin buy?

Old 04-28-2018, 12:29 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
This is how you would place an order...

1) To start a short position: Choose “Sell Short” or “Sell to Open” (depending om the brokerage, they will name it one of these)

2) To end a short position: Choose “Buy to Cover” or “Buy to Close”

Old 04-28-2018, 05:03 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Ok thanks. I do some cash buying, ride the wave and sell. But regarding selling those " I do not own" , which specific product I should choose?? Is that options?? Or just margin buy?
Its a dangerous game..Be smart.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:20 PM

468 posts, read 356,761 times
Quote:
I am trying to understand "short". Every one talks about it, but I never found a concrete example of how we can "short" . Can some one explain . I do some equity trading and just ride the surf.
Read this

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp

It is extremely risky and read this also

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortsqueeze.asp

I would suggest you learn about about simple call and put options

https://www.investopedia.com/exam-gu...s-and-puts.asp

If you feel a stock is over-valued and is ripe to go down instead of selling short where the possibility of you getting your clock cleaned if the stock goes up and continues up instead of going down like you thought.... you instead could purchase 1 or more PUT options on that same stock...and if you are correct and the stock declines your PUT option will increase in value and you can sell to close out your put option position and take profit as you do not have to hold it until expiration date...

And if you are wrong and the stock goes up instead of down and continues to go up your PUT option will lose value more and more and may even expire worthless...but the beauty of buying a put option is you can never lose more than what you paid for the option ....

I have been involved in the stock market all my life...since a teen and I strongly advise you to forget about selling short as it is truly for seasoned stock professonals who have the coin to cover huge losses if their short position goes against them..... and instead educate yourself on simply CALLS and PUT options and play that way if your looking for something new to learn..and to take a shot on profiting from a stocks decline.

Last edited by NY 915; 04-29-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the inputs. Another funny question, can I short on the stocks I own?? Because the last 1 week its steadily going down.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:04 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. Another funny question, can I short on the stocks I own?? Because the last 1 week its steadily going down.
Shorting against the box, or shorting positions you already own will not be of any advantage. Most B/D's won't allow you to do it, and some make it so cumbersome that it's not worth it.

Shorting against the box is really just a net, net neutral overall position, but affects the margin buying power significantly such that it's a negative against your day trade and/or margin buying power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing