Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 05:32 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times

Advertisements

I think they are a scam.

I inherited stocks in 2009. And I can say that the price just hasn't gone up since then. Sure every once and a while it goes up... and then down again. I am starting to think stocks are a scam. Certain unknown factions raise the price so they can sell at a profit. Over and over again the price rises just slightly above what I purchased it for and then down.

I mostly bought them for dividends but there they cheat too. Doing reverse stock splits and then not changing the dividends.

And every time I sell them I spend $100 in fees.

Now that interest rates are rising I would prefer a solid if not small return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 05:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I think they are a scam.

I inherited stocks in 2009. And I can say that the price just hasn't gone up since then. Sure every once and a while it goes up... and then down again. I am starting to think stocks are a scam. Certain unknown factions raise the price so they can sell at a profit. Over and over again the price rises just slightly above what I purchased it for and then down.

I mostly bought them for dividends but there they cheat too. Doing reverse stock splits and then not changing the dividends.

No, stocks are not a scam but you obviously have the wrong ones. Secondly you should be paying $5 a trade not $100, who is your brokerage firm? $100 a trade is a joke!

Old 04-28-2018, 06:23 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,351,846 times
For most of us the way to build a retirement fund is stocks. But from your post you are best to get out of the market or hire a financial planner to help you.

Remember your bonds will not protect you from inflation and your living costs could double during your retirement.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:43 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,630,522 times
What stocks do you own?

Broad-based index funds are a good choice, especially if you want to be hands-off. I have SPY (S&P500) and QQQ (NASDAQ).

Old 04-28-2018, 07:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Quote:
I think they are a scam.

You inherited the wrong stocks. I'm guessing an energy name. Of 468 S&P 500 stocks that have been trading since the bottom in 2009, these 12 are the only ones that didn't show a gain (from March 2009 to March 2017). Notice that for the longer 15 year period two thirds of even these losers were positive.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:15 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,949,297 times
If you have socks that didn't go up since 2009, you have ****ty stocks. You are obviously too dense to look at a DOW or Nasdaq 10 year chart or understand percentage returns. You should have easily doubled your returns. Not only that, but the markets crashed during the recession and they should have and shot up during the recovery and now boom as they should have. Calling that a scam is pure ignorance. The markets did as they were supposed to.

Last edited by Berteau; 04-28-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 07:17 AM

893 posts, read 511,602 times
??
Which brokerage is charging $100 to buy or sell?!!
Which company stocks to you own? Are they mutual funds perhaps?
That's such as shame as the returns from 2009 for stocks have been excellent.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:22 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Just because you inherited something is no reason you should have hung on to them. One option would have been to get out of relatively risky individual stocks and get into a cheap mutual fund (or several) that met your investing needs/purposes. But you were passive and just hung on to what you got...now you think it's all a cheat bascially because you didn't do your due diligence.

You'd have done better to come to this forum (or any fee-based advisor) way back at the beginning. Your blase attitude may conceal some real concern - get some real advice before you just give up.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:02 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
If you have socks that didn't go up since 2009, you have ****ty stocks. You are obviously too dense to look at a DOW or Nasdaq 10 year chart or understand percentage returns. You should have easily doubled your returns. Not only that, but the markets crashed during the recession and they should have and shot up during the recovery and now boom as they should have. Calling that a scam is pure ignorance. The markets did as they were supposed to.
+1.

Nonetheless, I sense an agenda of sorts on the horizon.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
I think they are a scam.

Wow..so your ignorance about your own finances creates a situation where you call all stocks a scam??? Priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing