Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:45 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,062,902 times

Advertisements

In planning for RMD withdrawals for 2019, I would like some opinions as to the best strategy to take. I don't want us to be in the position of taking withdrawals from mutual funds which are declining in value.

At present our withdrawals are from several IRA's, a 457 and a 401 so several sources for mandatory withdrawals.
I'm thinking that where applicable, to take one withdrawal from a Stable Value Option and the others from bond funds.

Or should it be wise to transfer the entire amount into a cash account at the beginning of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 11:49 AM

26,201 posts, read 21,693,145 times
What is the reason for not wanting to take rmds from a declining fund? If you plan on holding the fund you would have some potential tax benefit if it declines after you move it

Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 PM

13,123 posts, read 7,600,830 times
Too far in advance to know. As long as you take the risk in directly owning stocks and bonds and cash equivalents, your choices are really immaterial.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,224,225 times
When has there ever been a time in history when you would consider it not to be an uncertain market?

Old 10-16-2018, 01:57 PM

4,896 posts, read 4,846,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
In planning for RMD withdrawals for 2019, I would like some opinions as to the best strategy to take. I don't want us to be in the position of taking withdrawals from mutual funds which are declining in value.

At present our withdrawals are from several IRA's, a 457 and a 401 so several sources for mandatory withdrawals.
I'm thinking that where applicable, to take one withdrawal from a Stable Value Option and the others from bond funds.

Or should it be wise to transfer the entire amount into a cash account at the beginning of the year?

Why let RMD amounts and timing dictate your portfolio holdings? Your holdings should reflect the entire gamut of your risk and investment strategies. If you are that uncertain about what 2019 may hold, then maybe you consider what your holdings are now and change them accordingly.

By the way, I take RMDs and determine what to cash out on that basis. I have no current plans to change my investment mix in the near future, but I think about a lot. The biggest risk for those of us taking RMDs, which I am sure is your concern, is that the year end balance driving the next year's withdrawals will decline for some reason and you will be forced to withdraw a larger amount from a smaller pie. If I believed that was the probable event, I'd cash out today and buy back everything when the price was much lower. Alas, I don't have that knowledge and have decided to sit tight for the time being.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

The biggest risk for those of us taking RMDs, which I am sure is your concern, is that the year end balance driving the next year's withdrawals will decline for some reason and you will be forced to withdraw a larger amount from a smaller pie. .
That's it exactly. Don't want to end up with a smaller pie than I started out with. If the market drops after a good year end amount, then that's what will happen.

I'm frequently seeing discussions as to how to withdraw RMD's--- monthly, quarterly, lump at year end, or at beginning of year----but what I don't see discussed is what category of fund to withdraw from.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:57 PM

26,201 posts, read 21,693,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
That's it exactly. Don't want to end up with a smaller pie than I started out with. If the market drops after a good year end amount, then that's what will happen.

I'm frequently seeing discussions as to how to withdraw RMD's--- monthly, quarterly, lump at year end, or at beginning of year----but what I don't see discussed is what category of fund to withdraw from.
You do know you can move securities right? You don’t have to sell and move cash

Old 10-16-2018, 04:20 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,826,181 times
I would imagine if you took RMDs and moved them to taxable with the exact same allocation without being out of the market too long you would maintain your same exact relative cost so declining market should not have any effect.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I would imagine if you took RMDs and moved them to taxable with the exact same allocation without being out of the market too long you would maintain your same exact relative cost so declining market should not have any effect.
I think that's what we will do.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:17 PM

6,642 posts, read 7,386,414 times
My broker will move securities from a retirement account to a taxable account so I do not have to sell and buy. It counts toward the RMD's.

I think long term bond funds will decline as interest rates increase. Consider sell some now and putting the cash in CD's and then remove the CD's as needed to meet the RMD's. If you think the market might be down for a couple of years then put that amount of money in CD's. CD's probably need to be cashed in before moving to a taxable account. Check your broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing