Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM

806 posts, read 605,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Tony Dwyer has a huge ?? after his name, imo. He's been a huge cheerleader of the market all year after the Feb., saying we shouldn't be concerned about selloffs earlier in the year, and the market is great because the economy is so "strong" - on every appearance on CNBC when anyone queried him of perceived weakness. I don't use twitter, don't follow twitter, and if Dwyer ever spoke the REAL TRUTH about a major selloff on television, I never heard it.

Now with less optimistic future earnings growth guidance from various companies, what is he saying?

Right now, I'm calling him a fraud - using his platform on TV earlier in the year to support what he knew would become problem market later in the year for his own personal reasons. Another liar, methinks. Grrr......
No one is perfect. He did call the selloffs in Feb and this one. You can easily find his appearances on CNBC where he made these calls. He works for a legit investment bank unlike most people that write financial blog pieces out there. I am not defending him though. I think there are tons of people to use to help with your investment strategy. I think he is one of the good guys out there personally.

The one potentially bad call he has made is calling for 3200 on SPX by end of year. He did say a few weeks ago he is probably wrong on that one, but we will get there early next year.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Trading will be interesting the next few days. I don't wanna jump in until I test the waters.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Trading will be interesting the next few days. I don't wanna jump in until I test the waters.

I'm assuming you're a trader? If you're an investor know that
market turbulence isn’t fun. No question! But dialing up cash to try to time short-term swings is more likely to hurt than help.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:40 AM

I trade stocks and I have other investments. Not a day trader. I don't need any help in my other investments, only in the stock market. Thanks to everybody for the great lessons I've learned here at CD-Investing.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:34 PM

1,070 posts, read 393,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
No one is perfect. He did call the selloffs in Feb and this one. You can easily find his appearances on CNBC where he made these calls. He works for a legit investment bank unlike most people that write financial blog pieces out there. I am not defending him though. I think there are tons of people to use to help with your investment strategy. I think he is one of the good guys out there personally.

The one potentially bad call he has made is calling for 3200 on SPX by end of year. He did say a few weeks ago he is probably wrong on that one, but we will get there early next year.
I get it! I get it!

He predicted 3200 SPX by end of year - he didn’t say which year! ROFLOL

Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
One of my regular holdings took a Big dive today. I picked up a small amount to make a round lot.
I'll place a buy for more @5-10% below today's closing on hopes of catching someone who has been on margin or long and is capitulating.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
I get it! I get it!

He predicted 3200 SPX by end of year - he didn’t say which year! ROFLOL
i
There are quite a few investment think tanks that predicted 3200 or 3000 by end of 2018
One reason I thought pulling after the last high would be close enough to the hole to be a gimme putt...]]

Old 11-07-2018, 07:20 PM

7,651 posts, read 4,608,655 times
Hey...did you guys see those two over-served ladies warming up their voices in the corner over there?

I think one of them is name Lucy Blockchain. Way too much glitter, but she provided vocals in Something for Nothing.

The other one...I think her name is either TiL/Ray or something like that. I know what you're all wondering...she can work a room, but how does she keep her size $13B market cap in that tiny $23M topline? I think she's wearing Jailhouse Rock, but the ticket was too small to read. That's strange though, because you can buy that brand at every corner field in Canada.

Anyway, I knew they were invited, but I really didn't they were coming until later.

Anyway, looks like the bondroom is setting up to play Stayin Alive next. I'm so sick of that song. I'm sure it was those brats PuertoNo Rico and Chicago that requested it, and there's Stud Entloan on the DJ lapping it up.

Now, they all do know how to put on a finale. I can't take that away...but I dunno...it's starting to get late, you know? Maybe time to call it a night? Beat the rush to the Uber stand and grab some comfort food on the way home so I can stay in and get some housework done.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 PM

^^^^

Old 11-08-2018, 12:27 PM

1,070 posts, read 393,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
Of course to all of this - I was being tongue-in-cheek

I’m pointing out that regardless of what the market has done, or what it’s “expected” to do - up or down - all of the top stock-pickers are saying “buy or hold” on 95-99% of their picks and they’re saying “sell” on 1-5% of their picks, which, apparently means that they don’t think the market will go down, or, their picks will appreciate 15-35% even if the market goes down.

I’ve created a spreadsheet for my fave stock-pickers and their picks and I’ll track their performance going-forward. Hopefully I won’t hafta email ‘em if their picks don’t live up to their predictions: WTF happened?

Meanwhile, I’ll “hold” onto my cash until 1/1/2019 or when China tariffs show progress. (I see that TODAY, Trump relaxed the tariffs on Iran which went into place days ago - I’m hoping that Trump is all bluster on tariffs w/China, and he’ll back down similarly). I also don’t believe that interest rates will have big effect on the market. I don’t believe that they’ll be raised as announced, because the economy/GDP is already slowing after 4% jump - it’s already down to 3.4%. I’m w/CBO and virtually all who say that GDP will soon go back to ~2%

My $.02
I’m so smart that I can hardly stand it! Y’all outta listen to me!

The Fed agrees w/me! GDP will go back down to 2%

Hopefully Trump will agree with me and delete these China tariffs so that the market will return to where it was Jan.1, 2018 - growing at 25-30% per year for the past 10 years.

Over*all U.S. eco*nomic out*put ex*panded at a 3.5% an*nual rate in the third quar*ter af*ter ris*ing at a 4.2% pace in the sec*ond quar*ter, the Com*merce De*part*ment re*ported last month. That is roughly dou*ble the growth rate Fed of*fi*cials be*lieve can be sus*tained over the long run un*less the sup*ply of work*ers or their pro*duc*tiv*ity in*creases more rapidly.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fed-hol..._copyURL_share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.