Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Blockchain technology promises to transform finance the way the internet transformed communication.

(link: MarketWatch 12/14/2018)
Note this is a video. I prefer text mode but this is all I have.

My stock trading buddy has been researching blockchains and other uses besides being a backbone of a crypto-currency. I have been sort of grasping what he has been interested in but I never saw it presented in a way that I could share it with others.

What I'm telling you is that this has nothing to do with crypto-currencies! If you take out all the ridiculous currency stuff from the invention of the Bitcoin, you end up with a bunch of IT concepts and this one basic mathematical concept of a blockchain may be the sole contribution of Bitcoins once you accept the currency is soon to be defunct.

With blockchain technology we can anonymously and immediately verify the authenticity of cloud financial transaction data. The blockchain isn't the money itself. It's just a mutually trusted means of transaction verification!

Just to express one good application of blockchain technology benefiting us, watch the video and understand that this technology could allow our security trades to settle within milliseconds rather than the 1-2 days currently required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 04:41 PM

132 posts, read 119,819 times
News flash - blockchain was basically invented for cryptocurrency. It is anything but "immediate" - it is highly processor intensive, so much that satellites can detect blockchain servers like they can pot plants, because they use so much electricity.

Blockchain is clunky, ridiculously resource intensive and slow. I doubt it will ever be used for anything except bitcoins.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
yes.
i agree with motterpaul.
current servers are cumbersome.
however, advancing technology will cure that.
(rotary dial to touch tone to car phones to cell phones...)

Old 12-20-2018, 06:58 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,606,559 times
If I understood the video correctly the three ways are...

- Increased Security
Using crypto signatures for authorization of transfers and crypto hashes to validate the ledger

- Decentralization
Multiple copies of the ledger and multiple independent validators/miners

- Increased Efficiency
Removal of middlemen since the transaction layer and settlement layer are the same

Old 12-20-2018, 08:38 AM

Ken, you got the video points perfectly. Unlike others...

Old 12-20-2018, 03:06 PM

59 posts, read 30,330 times
Current blockchain systems can be resource intensive. These are the ones still using "proof of work" systems to verify the data they process. Many other proofing systems are in use now and there is much incentive to move away from proof of work. Wal-Mart is will soon be requiring that all produce it carries to be tracked via blockchain. I doubt they will be using a proof of work system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/b...n-lettuce.html

Blockchain technology is designed for transactions, of any kind, it only makes sense to apply it to financial systems

Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the comments Dave and yes indeed blockchains are applicable to many diverse financial systems.

The idea I like the most is that my stock trades could settle within seconds, not days.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:50 PM

59 posts, read 30,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Thanks for the comments Dave and yes indeed blockchains are applicable to many diverse financial systems.

The idea I like the most is that my stock trades could settle within seconds, not days.
Yes the vastly increased settlement speed is a definite advantage. I also like that the inherent security the blockchain offers removes all the unnecessary middlemen involved in the remittance/settlement process. I mentioned these securities tokens a while back on these forums and everyone seemed to think I was insane.

One in particular I mentioned before, The Hybrid Stock Exchange (HYBSE), has a functioning demo version up right now, partnership with GMEX Group, and is awaiting license approval from Maritius government.

ICE has their Bakkt exchange which is also having it's launch stalled by U.S. government.

Q1 2019 is going to be very interesting as this new generation of exchanges begin to come online

Old 10-20-2019, 01:19 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Interesting and informative talk about blockchain. Patrick Byrne is a big proponent of helping poor people in Third World countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQvMsbb-Cw&t=114s

Old 10-21-2019, 07:09 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Interesting and informative talk about blockchain. Patrick Byrne is a big proponent of helping poor people in Third World countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQvMsbb-Cw&t=114s
He’s a snake oil salesman and don’t believe a word he’s ever said. The underlying blockchain tech has promise but we are still a ways off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing