Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 12:16 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,381,919 times

Advertisements

We are a retired couple -- both on SS and my husband has RMD's from his IRA. I will wait until age 70 to start my IRA. We have several taxable funds that we have begun taking the dividends and capital gains to supplement our other income and it is working out just fine. But we have one fund -- CGM Mutual -- that is NOT a good fit and has very high expenses and we don't quite know what to do with it because if we sell we will get hit with taxes pretty hard and don't want that. So I was thinking of changing all our other funds to reinvest and over a 4 year period sell the CGM to supplement our income. This would get rid of the fund over time and let the other, better funds (Vanguard Wellington, TRowePrice Spectrum Income, Vanguard Life Strategy Moderate Growth and Gabelli Asset) all grow. Am I missing something or any other suggestions? Still trying to stay in the 22% tax bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
We are a retired couple -- both on SS and my husband has RMD's from his IRA. I will wait until age 70 to start my IRA. We have several taxable funds that we have begun taking the dividends and capital gains to supplement our other income and it is working out just fine. But we have one fund -- CGM Mutual -- that is NOT a good fit and has very high expenses and we don't quite know what to do with it because if we sell we will get hit with taxes pretty hard and don't want that. So I was thinking of changing all our other funds to reinvest and over a 4 year period sell the CGM to supplement our income. This would get rid of the fund over time and let the other, better funds (Vanguard Wellington, TRowePrice Spectrum Income, Vanguard Life Strategy Moderate Growth and Gabelli Asset) all grow. Am I missing something or any other suggestions? Still trying to stay in the 22% tax bracket.

Not a bad idea to spread out the sales.
But you will be taxed on the dividend in the taxable account even though your reinvest them.
Depending on your income some capital gains may not be taxed. Redo this years return and add in sales of the fund and see what happens to your taxes.
Look for the tax return work sheet Qualified dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet.
I would google and you might find some articles written in English that will explain what is happening.
By the way you might not be paying taxes on your current dividends due to this worksheet.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Not a bad idea to spread out the sales.
But you will be taxed on the dividend in the taxable account even though your reinvest them.
Depending on your income some capital gains may not be taxed. Redo this years return and add in sales of the fund and see what happens to your taxes.
Look for the tax return work sheet Qualified dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet.
I would google and you might find some articles written in English that will explain what is happening.
By the way you might not be paying taxes on your current dividends due to this worksheet.

Yes thanks for your reply. We do realize about being double taxed -- on the sales of the bummer fund as well as the reinvested dividends for our current taxable funds. It will increase our income but we are trying to keep it within a certain parameter so as not to affect Medicare, etc. We do not have a ton in the fund -- say $140,000 -- so we could sell $35,000 each year over 4 years. It is a dilemma -- trying to unload bad funds bought before we got smarter. Sometimes inertia takes over and you just stay with the crummy situation -- but looking at the expenses of CGM Mutual as well as the holdings -- I think it is time to BAIL.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Am I missing something or any other suggestions? Still trying to stay in the 22% tax bracket.
If you donate to charity, you could open a donor-advised fund with Fidelity or Schwab and use some or all of the CGM Mutual shares to fund the account.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you donate to charity, you could open a donor-advised fund with Fidelity or Schwab and use some or all of the CGM Mutual shares to fund the account.
That is an excellent idea. We have such a fund at Fidelity and used our highest appreciated stocks to fund it (at least until we hit RMD age and use IRAs for QCDs).

Old 04-06-2019, 08:27 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,962 times
Quote:
Yes thanks for your reply. We do realize about being double taxed -- on the sales of the bummer fund as well as the reinvested dividends for our current taxable funds. It will increase our income but we are trying to keep it within a certain parameter so as not to affect Medicare, etc. We do not have a ton in the fund -- say $140,000 -- so we could sell $35,000 each year over 4 years. It is a dilemma -- trying to unload bad funds bought before we got smarter. Sometimes inertia takes over and you just stay with the crummy situation -- but looking at the expenses of CGM Mutual as well as the holdings -- I think it is time to BAIL.
You dont get double taxed. Any reinvestments get counted towards your basis when calculating any gain/loss upon a sale.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:59 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
But we have one fund -- CGM Mutual -- that is NOT a good fit and has very high expenses and we don't quite know what to do with it because if we sell we will get hit with taxes pretty hard and don't want that.
Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society. Sell, pay your taxes, and move on.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society. Sell, pay your taxes, and move on.
Being smart about paying taxes does no mean I am against the idea of taxation -- but I do want to LEGALLY and intelligently utilize every strategy to minimize the money I give to the government.

They seem to have a VERY easy time spending spending other people's money.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:24 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,200,507 times
We are doing something similar. We took over our accounts from our broker 6 years ago. We have two mutual funds which are open end with high expenses. One in particular has very high expenses.
We have been using that fund to draw our RMD's until it disappears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing