Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 09:48 PM

150 posts, read 263,907 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I would appreciate any advice to see if my understanding could work and/or if there is anything I might not be factoring in or not understanding correctly.

Ex. I currently have a 30k personal loan at say a 10% interest rate today.

Would I be able to apply for a few credit cards that offer the 0% promo (Ex. say two different cards with a 15k transfer balance) to payoff the personal loan?

What is the max balance amount a credit card company can usually offer for a transfer balance (10k?)? Since one credit card likely wouldn't be able to fully payoff the entire personal loan then is doing a partial balance transfer still allowed? If so, how does this typically work? Is there anyway the personal loan company could reject this (there is no prepayment penalty)?

Note: I understand the biggest concern with my thought is not being able to payoff the credit card balances before the promo periods end and then getting hurt with the high rates. Also that credit card companies typically charge a 3% balance transfer fee. The only reason I am thinking this route is because within the year I will be receiving enough funds to cover my personal loan balance from an investment I had. So my thought is that I would rather pay a $900 transfer balance on 0% credit cards for less than a year than about ex. 3.5k in personal loan interest until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 08:25 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,554,854 times
The credit limit on your new credit card will depend on your credit score and what limits/balances you have on other credit cards. So, what's your credit score, DTI and highest limit credit card.

Unlikely you will get a card with a 30K limit but when you get the new card you can always call the credit card company and ask for an increase of the limit.

Your other option is to get a new card and use it for all your spending during the initial 12 month no interest period while you pay off your personal loan. Of course, if you don't pay off the promotional balance at the end of 12 months you'll be back or worse off from where you started.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
You may want to read the cc agreement,not sure if you can use the credit line to pay off personal loan?
10% is high,cant you negotiate with your lender?

Old 03-14-2021, 10:52 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixburgh90 View Post
Hi All,

I would appreciate any advice to see if my understanding could work and/or if there is anything I might not be factoring in or not understanding correctly.

Ex. I currently have a 30k personal loan at say a 10% interest rate today.

Would I be able to apply for a few credit cards that offer the 0% promo (Ex. say two different cards with a 15k transfer balance) to payoff the personal loan?

What is the max balance amount a credit card company can usually offer for a transfer balance (10k?)? Since one credit card likely wouldn't be able to fully payoff the entire personal loan then is doing a partial balance transfer still allowed? If so, how does this typically work? Is there anyway the personal loan company could reject this (there is no prepayment penalty)?

Note: I understand the biggest concern with my thought is not being able to payoff the credit card balances before the promo periods end and then getting hurt with the high rates. Also that credit card companies typically charge a 3% balance transfer fee. The only reason I am thinking this route is because within the year I will be receiving enough funds to cover my personal loan balance from an investment I had. So my thought is that I would rather pay a $900 transfer balance on 0% credit cards for less than a year than about ex. 3.5k in personal loan interest until then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
You may want to read the cc agreement,not sure if you can use the credit line to pay off personal loan?
10% is high,cant you negotiate with your lender?

I never paid transfer fees or worry about eligibility of using credit cards for your debt.

What you do is apply for a no interest credit card for purchases. Start putting all of your bills you can onto it. That frees up the cash flow to pay the interest bearing debt off.

Then when there’s like 3 or 4 months left on the no interest you get a new card and do the same thing. Charge to the new no interest card, and use the cash flow to pay off the other card in installments either over the final 3 or 4 months or all at once depending on cash flow needs.

Manually transfer the balances without fees and manage your cash flow needs.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:06 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I never paid transfer fees or worry about eligibility of using credit cards for your debt.

What you do is apply for a no interest credit card for purchases. Start putting all of your bills you can onto it. That frees up the cash flow to pay the interest bearing debt off.

Then when there’s like 3 or 4 months left on the no interest you get a new card and do the same thing. Charge to the new no interest card, and use the cash flow to pay off the other card in installments either over the final 3 or 4 months or all at once depending on cash flow needs.

I would not advise such a route. What if some personal tragedy befalls OP and he/she suddenly needs that money? Now you're stuck with all that money in these high-interest credit cards with no way out.

Rather than try and play this game, why not bust your tail and pay it off? Work a second job. Cut down on all non-essential expenses, etc. This shell game can and will catch up to you before long. Better to pay it off and then never get into such a predicament ever again.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:14 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Some credit cards require that you hold the cards for a stated time period before using a 0% loan. Some also require that the balance transfer be another credit card and not another loan.

if you are really getting funds this year, why bother? Keep paying your bills and pay the loan off when you get the funds.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Bottom line it all comes down to your confidence on getting the funds. If it's based on a real estate sale hold your horses.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
With the amount of hours this may take from an opportunity cost standpoint, paying the 3% BT fee may be worth it.

If you spend 10 hours manually doing this that could have been 10 hours spent in OT or a side business making more money to pay down the debt.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I would not advise such a route. What if some personal tragedy befalls OP and he/she suddenly needs that money? Now you're stuck with all that money in these high-interest credit cards with no way out.

Rather than try and play this game, why not bust your tail and pay it off? Work a second job. Cut down on all non-essential expenses, etc. This shell game can and will catch up to you before long. Better to pay it off and then never get into such a predicament ever again.
Just saw this before I replied, agreed 1000%

Old 03-15-2021, 06:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
sell a few things around the house on Ebay,that should raise $$.
LAPTOP,Iphone,ipod,gold chains,etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance