Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I want to invest 2k and buy at opening and sell at closing and try to at least make 1k. Any suggestions ? I have been out of the loop for quite some time.

Thanks
You can't day trade with $2000, you need AT LEAST $25,000 to have a full margin account. If you are extremely lucky, you might be able to make 2% or $40. I'm not joking, you would be lucky to make that much without having a margin account. The fact that you don't know this information already, tells me you aren't ready. If you want to gamble with $2000, choose CIT...it's going up and down 10%+ each day and has a lot of volume so selling isn't a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
You can't day trade with $2000, you need AT LEAST $25,000 to have a full margin account. If you are extremely lucky, you might be able to make 2% or $40. I'm not joking, you would be lucky to make that much without having a margin account. The fact that you don't know this information already, tells me you aren't ready. If you want to gamble with $2000, choose CIT...it's going up and down 10%+ each day and has a lot of volume so selling isn't a problem.

+2 on CITI

Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,164 times
First of all, everyone's correct in that the OP should forget about dreams of making 50% in a day. But with the obvious out of the way, a few clarifications:

You only need $2k to open a margin account.

Even with $2k in a margin account, you can still daytrade up to 3 times in 5 business days.

To daytrade more than that, you need at least $25k in your margin account.

In a CASH account (of any amount), you can daytrade all you like provided you're using settled funds (which often isn't easy, especially with a small account).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing