Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 AM

429 posts, read 1,117,052 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a recent graduate, and I've heard how some people my age do trading and get some nice money back. So I was considering it. Where would I start, hahaha, how much stock should I buy initially, because I don't have that much, and what steps should I take to not get screwed?

I'm thinking about buying some stock in these places, when I get more money in my savings.

Google
Amazon
Apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,469,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
So, I'm a recent graduate, and I've heard how some people my age do trading and get some nice money back. So I was considering it. Where would I start, hahaha, how much stock should I buy initially, because I don't have that much, and what steps should I take to not get screwed?

I'm thinking about buying some stock in these places, when I get more money in my savings.

Google
Amazon
Apple
What's funny?

If you're thinking of trading--as opposed to investing--you have a lot to learn before you just start buying stuff hoping to get rich quick. Vegas is easier to learn and has about the same odds.

If you're thinking of investing, you also have a lot to learn, but there are options that would serve you all right until you learn more. Stocks aren't the only option. Buying actual bonds isn't the only way to be in fixed income. Not everything that looks like a stock is a stock. Why would no one in his right mind buy most mutual funds right now? What does the Q at the tend of a five-letter ticker mean? Why is anyone who talks smugly about index EFTs a moron? How much can you dilute commissions with the amount you have to invest?

In any case, the most likely thing that will 'screw' you is your own eagerness, this sense that omigawd it's going up I'm going to miss the boom I gotta buy gotta buy gotta buy. I remember it when I was 23 and a recent college graduate, looking back at recent market trends and feeling pretty confident in that September of 1987. I made my move and I was sure I couldn't lose.

I suggest Jason Kelly's Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing. I also suggest an extended participation on Motley Fool. All sorts of people far more sarcastic and self-assured than I will be there, arguing and discussing and correcting each other's answers to questions. You'd learn from watching them.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,942,777 times
Read up on financial sites first like www.fool.com and such. Think about how much you have to invest, the cost of each share and trading costs. Since you dont have a lot, familiarize yourself with capital gains tax rates.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,204,374 times
Trading stocks is very simple.

For short term

1. Find big companies that are solid (so your shares have little chance of becoming worthless). Iffy companies and newer offerings are much more of a risk. Make sure they generally trade large volumes so you wont have a problem unloading them or buying them at a particuliar price.

2. Buy them when they are no more then 50% of their 52 week high.

3. Pray/hope/cross your fingers, etc, that they go up closer to their 52 week high.

For long term, generally just load your portfolio up with strong companies. The Dow returns about 10% on average.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 PM

975 posts, read 1,755,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

For short term

1. Find big companies that are solid (so your shares have little chance of becoming worthless). Iffy companies and newer offerings are much more of a risk. Make sure they generally trade large volumes so you wont have a problem unloading them or buying them at a particuliar price.

2. Buy them when they are no more then 50% of their 52 week high.

3. Pray/hope/cross your fingers, etc, that they go up closer to their 52 week high.

For long term, generally just load your portfolio up with strong companies. The Dow returns about 10% on average.
Oh boy, should I drill you?...Nah, I'm going to presume you're joking.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,217,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The Dow is a weighted average of just 30 companies. However assuming you did this, then your returns from a decade ago would be ~$0. Zero dollars.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:25 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,777,950 times
Buy low and sell high.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Don't trade more than you can afford to lose.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Oh boy, should I drill you?...Nah, I'm going to presume you're joking.
I really dont care about what you say.....Im not impressed by anything you have to offer. You arent the say all to trading as you think you are, you are just another CD talking head. Go home.

If you follow my very simple method, you will consistantly see returns in the vicinity of 25-30%. I can guarantee that.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
The Dow is a weighted average of just 30 companies. However assuming you did this, then your returns from a decade ago would be ~$0. Zero dollars.

The market has ups and downs, some times they are huge, sometimes little, but the longer the given horizon, it will normalize closer to 10%.

For instance, how much would someone who dumped some money in an index fund in 1981 have? The Dow peeked at over 13,000 pts higher 26 years later, and is still sitting at over 9000 pts higher today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing