Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Iowa & Iowa State be in the same conference?
yes: this would be good for both schools 2 28.57%
no: this would be bad for both schools 4 57.14%
good for ISU, bad for Iowa 0 0%
good for Iowa, bad for ISU 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

no state in the nation has had two major public universities apart from each other in two separate major conferences as Iowa and Iowa State.

Of course, part of the mix of what makes the Hawkeyes vs. Cyclones special is that Iowa goes in representing the Big Ten and Iowa State did/does go in representing the Big 8/Big 12.

But if Iowans had a choice, would they like to see Iowa and ISU in the same conference? and by "same conference", that would have to be the Big Ten; Iowa would never leave the conference.

then the question arises: would Iowa want to see Iowa State in the Big Ten? Do the Hawkeyes, the big brother, the upper hand, like that they have Big Ten status and ISU does not? Years ago, Michigan worked hard to keep MSU out of the Big Ten, but eventually around 1950 failed. Would that be the same approach Iowa would take to ISU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:28 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
I kinda don't care either way.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I think any Iowa Stater would disagree with the "upper hand" at U of Iowa ..depends on the sport I guess.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times
I don't see the big ten inviting Iowa state. Sure it'd be nice and is a good fit. I have been following conference expansion for a while and I'll explain why. The BIG is about television money and academics. Iowa state is good in academics with a decent athletic department. The problem isn't that... they do not introduce a new market region and is not a program that is followed nationally. They'd invite Kansas, Mizzou, Texas, possibly Oklahoma (if a package deal with Texas), Virginia, north Carolina, Georgia tech etc... the big ten already has the hawks which is the flagship school of Iowa.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I don't see the big ten inviting Iowa state. Sure it'd be nice and is a good fit. I have been following conference expansion for a while and I'll explain why. The BIG is about television money and academics. Iowa state is good in academics with a decent athletic department. The problem isn't that... they do not introduce a new market region and is not a program that is followed nationally. They'd invite Kansas, Mizzou, Texas, possibly Oklahoma (if a package deal with Texas), Virginia, north Carolina, Georgia tech etc... the big ten already has the hawks which is the flagship school of Iowa.
Yep. You're right. and as the OP, I never would have suggested that the Big Ten would want ISU; I was merely questioning the preference of Iowans.

the B10 is, as you say, about "television and money and academics" (as for academics: no knock on UNL which is a fine school, but Nebraska is just not at the same level as other B10 schools academically, including Rutgers and UMd). The Big Ten is a lot like the SEC: the SEC has stated that it will never invite a school in a state that already has SEC schools in it; it simply wants new markets. The same can be said of the B10, although the rules might be bent for the state of Indiana (no, I'm not suggesting that Ball State or Indiana State might get membership )

and, yes, I honestly do believe that Iowa has always lorded the Big Ten over ISU's Big 8/Big 12. and, yes, I do believe that Iowa has always treasured its eastern Iowa location, its connection with the large population centers east of the Mississippi, of it being seen as more Midwest (even Great Lakes) than Great Plains. Its incredible connection to Chicagoland, a place that it is inextricably linked, perhaps more so than any state university in the nation to a region out-of-state. Only Iowa could end up having a freshmen class below 50% instate students. ISU never could. Iowa simply looks eastward. I am not suggesting anything about ISU as an institution (it's an excellent one, one of the finest of its type there is, fulfilling its land grant mission). I'm just saying what I believe Iowa thinks and how Iowa sees itself. and, in athletics (far less in this era than in all those that came before it), Iowa was the big cheese, the one that dominated, ISU more of an afterthought (again: not true today)

Last edited by edsg25; 04-06-2014 at 06:30 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times
Yeah. The Hawks always had that upper hand in recruiting over ISU whether in-state or out of state. The gap has been closing as of recently but for some reason, I just don't think it will ever close up completely. Which is why the Big Ten goes after a new market's 'flagship' institutions when considering a new school.

Trust me, I know that Nebraska is good academically but is just outside of what the Big Ten would usually go after. Nebraska actually is good enough to be in the AAU for research but the whole Med School Accounting Technicality was what got their bags packing. UNMC, the med school, is a top-notch medical research school that was just recently name one of America's top 100 hospitals. Between the accounting rule and how the AAU doesn't consider Ag research when formulating their 'inclusion' rules, Nebraska was out... Funny enough, the Big Ten pretty much knew that was going to happen. What got Nebraska in was their nation-wide reach. People watch Nebraska football and the rest of the athletic department is very strong.

Rutgers got in because of academics and some silly notion that somehow the Big Ten is now 'in' the NYC market. Maryland has a historically relevant program with good academics in a new state that includes both the Baltimore and DC metro areas. To me, Maryland was a legit pull.

What I'd like to see:
Virginia
NC
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Colorado (I know, the odds are all but none. Still, great academics in a demographic with an exploding population growth rate)

Maybe replace one of those with a neutered Texas. God forbid, please do not pull in ND.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:53 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
ND (and ISU) won't open new markets for the B10 network the way Rutgers and Maryland do and Nebraska did.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
The problem with a poll like this is it presents a false choice. ie...good or bad. Not all scenarios require either a good or bad outcome....some situations might be a neutral outcome for one of both schools.

But to the overall question, I'm an ISU graduate, long time football season ticket holder, donor, and general supporter of all ISU athletics. There was a time when the Big XII was seemingly imploding, that I wished ISU to the Big 10. That said, I knew the economics of big time college football meant there was no reason for the Big 10 to add Iowa State because it wouldn't adding any new TV markets.

As of now, Iowa State is benefiting greatly from the Big XII financial situation of only having to split the conference revenue 10 ways. (since there is only 10 teams currently in the conference). This is the best situation a school like Iowa State can hope for.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Yeah. The Hawks always had that upper hand in recruiting over ISU whether in-state or out of state. The gap has been closing as of recently but for some reason, I just don't think it will ever close up completely. Which is why the Big Ten goes after a new market's 'flagship' institutions when considering a new school.

I assume you're talking football only. Basketball is clearly in Iowa State's favor. As long as Hoiberg is coach, he'll be bringing in talent to take them to the Sweet 16 almost annually from here on out IMO.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Trust me, I know that Nebraska is good academically but is just outside of what the Big Ten would usually go after. Nebraska actually is good enough to be in the AAU for research but the whole Med School Accounting Technicality was what got their bags packing. UNMC, the med school, is a top-notch medical research school that was just recently name one of America's top 100 hospitals. Between the accounting rule and how the AAU doesn't consider Ag research when formulating their 'inclusion' rules, Nebraska was out... Funny enough, the Big Ten pretty much knew that was going to happen. What got Nebraska in was their nation-wide reach. People watch Nebraska football and the rest of the athletic department is very strong.

Rutgers got in because of academics and some silly notion that somehow the Big Ten is now 'in' the NYC market. Maryland has a historically relevant program with good academics in a new state that includes both the Baltimore and DC metro areas. To me, Maryland was a legit pull.

What I'd like to see:
Virginia
NC
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Colorado (I know, the odds are all but none. Still, great academics in a demographic with an exploding population growth rate)

Maybe replace one of those with a neutered Texas. God forbid, please do not pull in ND.
not a real issue for me, Omaha: Big Ten membership will pull up UNL and, yes, it is a good school already; keep in mind that Iowa's Big Ten exposure and its nearness to the heavily populated states east of the Mississippi contribute to its academic reputation. as for Nebraska, it was certainly thinking academics far more than Mizzou and A&M were thinking when they bolted the conference to the SEC. You were also right about the Big Ten's interest in Rutgers, the very questionability of that move, and the ability to make the State University of New Jersey a pull for New Yorkers across the Hudson. I mean, how many KCMO college basketball fans are going to go bonkers over KU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa