Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,677 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am an elementary teacher looking to move around the Coralville, Iowa area with my boyfriend, who works in coralville. I am looking for some recommendations of small towns around the Coralville area where we could live and I could work, as I prefer working in smaller school districts.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:31 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
Kind of matters which school district has openings, no? Or are you just going to pick a town and then wait until they have an opening? Also, can you provide more specifics of what you are looking for? Otherwise, just look at a map and pick a town!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:19 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Kind of matters which school district has openings, no? Or are you just going to pick a town and then wait until they have an opening? Also, can you provide more specifics of what you are looking for? Otherwise, just look at a map and pick a town!

There will always be openings at West Liberty, but don't go there. Packing house town with real issues.

Most of the other schools around there would be somewhat comparable.

Two interstates converge at Coralville so don't be adverse to a commute of maybe 40-50 miles. Also, what's to stop the boyfriend from commuting half the distance?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:49 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Also, what's to stop the boyfriend from commuting half the distance?
Well, nothing, apparently. In fact it looks like the boyfriend is planning on doing all the commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownteacher View Post
Hi,

I am an elementary teacher looking to move around the Coralville, Iowa area with my boyfriend, who works in coralville. I am looking for some recommendations of small towns around the Coralville area where we could live and I could work, as I prefer working in smaller school districts.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Well, nothing, apparently. In fact it looks like the boyfriend is planning on doing all the commuting.

Missed that part. In that case, possible job locations has just expanded to 60 miles.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
What about Tiffin? The Clear Creek Amana school district is active and growing and has around 2,000 students total in a population area of around 12,000 and directly borders Coralville to the west. It's a good district and you would have much better chances of getting a position there than trying to go further away and a much smaller district where the timing of turnover might be more tight.

It's still more rural and out of the city, but your boyfriend would only be 10-20 minutes away from work. Commuting 40-50 miles every day for work would be terrible, especially in winter.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What about Tiffin? The Clear Creek Amana school district is active and growing and has around 2,000 students total in a population area of around 12,000 and directly borders Coralville to the west. It's a good district and you would have much better chances of getting a position there than trying to go further away and a much smaller district where the timing of turnover might be more tight.

It's still more rural and out of the city, but your boyfriend would only be 10-20 minutes away from work. Commuting 40-50 miles every day for work would be terrible, especially in winter.

CCA would be a decent choice. There are 3 grade schools in this school district. One is right up the road from Coralville in North Liberty. The other 2 would be in Oxford and Amana.

A couple towns around Iowa City/Coralville that I really like and are quite close are West Branch and Solon. Decent size schools in decent size clean, self supported towns. All within an easy commute to Coralville.

One little note. According to my oldest daughter who used to lived in Coralville for 6 years, the rush hour traffic on I-380 between IC/Coralville and Cedar Rapids can be pretty rough, especially with winter driving.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 8,591 times
I’d suggest that you look into Tiffin or Solon. Those two communities are growing quickly, and new schools are being built in both. North Liberty might also be a possibility for you. It’s also a fast growing community and runs right in Coralville.

I commute on Interstate 380 between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids every day, and the traffic can be a bear, but once you get used to it it’s not that bad. I also have the benefit of working from home on bad weather days.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM

173 posts, read 345,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
CCA would be a decent choice. There are 3 grade schools in this school district. One is right up the road from Coralville in North Liberty. The other 2 would be in Oxford and Amana.

A couple towns around Iowa City/Coralville that I really like and are quite close are West Branch and Solon. Decent size schools in decent size clean, self supported towns. All within an easy commute to Coralville.

One little note. According to my oldest daughter who used to lived in Coralville for 6 years, the rush hour traffic on I-380 between IC/Coralville and Cedar Rapids can be pretty rough, especially with winter driving.
CCA has four elementary schools now, soon to be 5. One in North Liberty one in Tiffin, plans are underway for another one in Tiffin, one in Oxford and one in the Amana Colonies. Its not really a small district anymore. The elementary schools in Amana and Oxford are pretty small, but that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa