Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM

14 posts, read 66,993 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently spent three weeks staying with a friend in Ames.I visited Boone on several occasions and went on the diner train.Just like to say Boone was by far the best place we visited and the people ever so friendly and made us feel very welcolm .It was the first time we had been to the States and cant wait to come again.Living in a big town centre here in England we were amazed how so much space you have,and also loved your polite drivers.Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 PM

296 posts, read 1,285,458 times
What a nice message! Thank you so much for letting us know you appreciated your visit. Your comment about our having a lot of space reminds me of a story that Iowa author Donald Harstad tells. He relates that a woman was coming from England to meet him and help organize a UK publicity tour for him. He lives in northeast Iowa, at least an hour and a half from Cedar Rapids, and the woman was flying into the Cedar Rapids airport. When he said he'd pick her up at the airport, the woman told him, no, she'd just take a cab! We take our distances and space so much for granted here, and it's good for us to have you point out that not everyone has as much space! I do love the fact that even a not-wealthy <grin> person like me can own 40 acres of land and live smack in the middle of it and easily go without seeing another living soul all day long unless I feel like it... yet in 15 minutes, I can be at the grocery store (Iowa-owned, yay!) or my favorite pub, or the theater for a show. If I were just closer to the dinner train, life would be perfect! <grin>

I hope you're able to plan another visit soon.

Take care!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM

265 posts, read 1,065,001 times
Thank you for the lovely letter. I am just surfing the forum (currently living in crowded urban DC and considering a move elsewhere, including IA). I guess Iowa probably isn't as marketed for tourism in Europe as some other places... most Europeans I meet here have heard about and want to see the East and West... so it was interesting that you went off the beaten track IMHO...
Our Midwest (US) is widely believed to be one of, if not THE, most courteous and decent regions of the U.S., with many people who are hospitable and helpful to their neighbors (whether tourist or local). And the idea of space! I agree, WOW!
Maybe Kevin Costner was on to something when he said (in movie "Field of Dreams"), when asked, "Is this heaven?" He said, "No, it's Iowa."
Come back again.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 AM

681 posts, read 3,039,453 times
Bravo! I'm going to bump this...I hope more people take a chance to read it. Maybe it'll balance out some of the negative sentiment that's been going around the forum lately!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 66,993 times
Thanks,I think why we loved it so much is because we went to a place and saw the real America,not Disneyland or places like that where most of the British go.In our friends house we met the local plumber,landscape gardener(If thats what you call them!)and a lovely chap called a bugman sorting out our friends creepy crawlies.We have been back three weeks now and we cant wait to come back to the USA.Iowa is indeed a wonderful place with great people,I can see now why our friends will never come back to England.Top three places we visited was Boone,the Living History farm and Dallas Country park where we saw an Indian show.But what should get a special mention must be seeing the Iowa v Iowa state tailgating on match day in Ames and all the fans mingling in the evening, what a day that was.We just would not get that here in England,it would just be a big punch up sad to say.Anyway,hope to see a whole lot more next time.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,267,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post
.But what should get a special mention must be seeing the Iowa v Iowa state tailgating on match day in Ames and all the fans mingling in the evening, what a day that was.We just would not get that here in England,it would just be a big punch up sad to say.Anyway,hope to see a whole lot more next time.
Hilarious. I guess I can't picture " 'avin' a bit of bovver" and giving some tosser a good duffin' over the Iowa v Iowa State game. I've never actually been, but it sounds like a good way to experience the culture in Iowa.

If you come back through, I'd suggest trying to make it over in August during the Iowa State Fair. It's a big deal around here and definitely a good way to experience the local culture...and clog your arteries with tons of deep fried foods (the corn dog is our speciality). I read that some travel magazine dubbed the fair somewhere on the top ten list of "things you have to see before you die" in the US or something. 2008 Iowa State Fair U Gotta Love It!

I'd also maybe suggest a hockey game in Des Moines, if you're around between September and April.

Glad you had a good time in Iowa.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:58 PM

482 posts, read 2,228,411 times
Next time come a little bit to the west and see Nebraska as well. You will also love Nebraska as well.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 PM

204 posts, read 1,014,110 times
Glad you enjoyed your stay in Iowa. Boone has some of the most scenic areas in central Iowa. When I lived in Chicago, everybody there always belittled the cornfields and open spaces which are so abundant in our state. I never understood why some would have such an aversion to fresh air and nice people. We definitely have plenty of both in Iowa.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:08 PM

22 posts, read 78,749 times
My husband just interviewed at the University of Iowa Dental School, and I hope he gets accepted! It sounds like a great place to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa