Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM

762 posts, read 1,217,121 times

Advertisements

Exodus 2:1-10

The Birth of Moses

2 Now a man of the tribe of Levi married a Levite woman, 2 and she became pregnant and gave birth to a son. When she saw that he was a fine child, she hid him for three months. 3 But when she could hide him no longer, she got a papyrus basket for him and coated it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child in it and put it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile. 4 His sister stood at a distance to see what would happen to him.

5 Then Pharaoh’s daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the riverbank. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her female slave to get it. 6 She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. “This is one of the Hebrew babies,” she said.

7 Then his sister asked Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?”

8 “Yes, go,” she answered. So the girl went and got the baby’s mother. 9 Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Take this baby and nurse him for me, and I will pay you.” So the woman took the baby and nursed him. 10 When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh’s daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, “I drew him out of the water.”

The Quran version comes over two thousand years later to contradict the earlier, historical accounts. Why the difference? The Quran claims that Pharaoh’s wife, not his daughter, adopted Moses. Since the biblical position is that Moses wrote the first five books of the Hebrew Bible, surely Moses himself would know best who adopted him?

And We inspired the mother of Moses, saying: Suckle him and, when thou fearest for him, then cast him into the river and fear not nor grieve. Lo! We shall bring him back unto thee and shall make him (one) of Our messengers. And the family of Pharaoh took him up, that he might become for them an enemy and a sorrow, Lo! Pharaoh and Haman and their hosts were ever sinning. And the wife of Pharaoh said: (He will be) a consolation for me and for thee. Kill him not. Peradventure he may be of use to us, or we may choose him for a son. And they perceived not. S. 28:7-9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefol View Post
Exodus 2:1-10

The Birth of Moses

2 Now a man of the tribe of Levi married a Levite woman, 2 and she became pregnant and gave birth to a son. When she saw that he was a fine child, she hid him for three months. 3 But when she could hide him no longer, she got a papyrus basket for him and coated it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child in it and put it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile. 4 His sister stood at a distance to see what would happen to him.

5 Then Pharaoh’s daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the riverbank. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her female slave to get it. 6 She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. “This is one of the Hebrew babies,” she said.

7 Then his sister asked Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?”

8 “Yes, go,” she answered. So the girl went and got the baby’s mother. 9 Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Take this baby and nurse him for me, and I will pay you.” So the woman took the baby and nursed him. 10 When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh’s daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, “I drew him out of the water.”

The Quran version comes over two thousand years later to contradict the earlier, historical accounts. Why the difference? The Quran claims that Pharaoh’s wife, not his daughter, adopted Moses. Since the biblical position is that Moses wrote the first five books of the Hebrew Bible, surely Moses himself would know best who adopted him?

And We inspired the mother of Moses, saying: Suckle him and, when thou fearest for him, then cast him into the river and fear not nor grieve. Lo! We shall bring him back unto thee and shall make him (one) of Our messengers. And the family of Pharaoh took him up, that he might become for them an enemy and a sorrow, Lo! Pharaoh and Haman and their hosts were ever sinning. And the wife of Pharaoh said: (He will be) a consolation for me and for thee. Kill him not. Peradventure he may be of use to us, or we may choose him for a son. And they perceived not. S. 28:7-9
We believe the Qur'an is the direct word of God(sw) and it was sent to correct the errors that crept into the revelations of the past. We believe the Qur'an is the corrected version and when past revelations differ, it is because they had become corrupted or changed.

This is an area we have to face we disagree. We believe the Qur'an is the unaltered truth of God(swt) and any views that differ are in error. Non-Muslims do not believe that.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We believe the Qur'an is the direct word of God(sw) and it was sent to correct the errors that crept into the revelations of the past. We believe the Qur'an is the corrected version and when past revelations differ, it is because they had become corrupted or changed.

This is an area we have to face we disagree. We believe the Qur'an is the unaltered truth of God(swt) and any views that differ are in error. Non-Muslims do not believe that.
Some small support to Moses having been adopted by Pharaoh's wife. He was raised as a Brother to Pharaoh's son and made a Prince of Egypt. Something that indicates being closer than an adopted Grandson.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:

Is this right tho were the previous scriptures believed to be corrupted by Mohammed, or did this come later? There are many Suras that state Mohammed should refer to previous scriptures when in doubt his revelations were indeed from God. Sura 21:7 as one. Why would God advise so if these scriptures had corrupted his message? Surely if God knew previous scriptures were corrupt...which is the reason muslims believe Mohammed to have been sent as a prophet..then why would he have sent in the Quran instructions to refer to previous scriptures.

He could just have stated..OK, the last 2000 years was an error, it's all gone wrong. Here's the Quran, in just 23 years of work it will redo all I have done wrong in past scriptures. Doesn't work really.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Some small support to Moses having been adopted by Pharaoh's wife. He was raised as a Brother to Pharaoh's son and made a Prince of Egypt. Something that indicates being closer than an adopted Grandson.
Must be very small support there. Besides the point as in this instant I am referring to in biblical terms. It's a known fact that Pharaohs intermarried with close family members. So titles like brother, sister, husband, wife could become blurred. BUT the Bible clearly states Pharoahs daughter not wife. From Gods point of view would it matter daughter or wife, as long as the message that Moses was saved. But as it was a widely held belief that it was indeed the daughter, recorded by people who were witnesses at the time, one being Moses himself, I'm prepared to believe the Bibles version of events. Seeing in the grand scheme of things it matters little as to daughter or wife the result being the same.

I see it as one of many errors in the Quran, when using previous scriptures to enforce the Quran they are very often used out of context or changed. I see this as very possible given Mohammed's known contemporaries and how he gained knowledge of Judaism and Christianity.

That's just my personal opinion and of course with respect to muslims it's not one they can share, and on this we shall definitely have to agree to disagree.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
.... As he neared the fire, he heard a sonorous voice calling him:
"O Moses, I am Allah, the Lord of the Universe."
Moses was bewildered and looked around. He again heard the strange voice.
"And what is in you right hand, O Moses?"
Shivering, Moses answered: "This is my.....Story of Prophet Musa/Moses and Haroon/Aaron (pbut)

Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
.... As he neared the fire, he heard a sonorous voice calling him:
"O Moses, I am Allah, the Lord of the Universe."
Moses was bewildered and looked around. He again heard the strange voice.
"And what is in you right hand, O Moses?"
Shivering, Moses answered: "This is my.....Story of Prophet Musa/Moses and Haroon/Aaron (pbut)
Good story and very nearly the same. It comes down to the replacement of the daughter for the wife of the Pharoah. I wonder if it could be that it would be considered less shameful..from an Islamic prospective.. That the wife being married would have been a better example to use than the daughter...unmarried.

Here's a biblical version...Come and Learn The Story of Moses In the Bible

Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Good story and very nearly the same. It comes down to the replacement of the daughter for the wife of the Pharoah. I wonder if it could be that it would be considered less shameful..from an Islamic prospective.. That the wife being married would have been a better example to use than the daughter...unmarried.

Here's a biblical version...Come and Learn The Story of Moses In the Bible

that difference does not stop one of us to enter Paradise

but this one does.
They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of Mary.
The Messiah (himself) said: O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.
Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden paradise.
His abode is the Fire. For evil-doers there will be no helpers.

They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the third of three;
when there is no Allah save the One Allah. If they desist not from so saying a painful doom will fall on those of them who disbelieve.

Will they not rather turn unto Allah and seek forgiveness of Him? For Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

The Messiah, son of Mary, was no other than a messenger, messengers (the like of whom) had passed away before him.
And his mother was a saintly woman. And they both used to eat (earthly) food.
See how We make the revelations clear for them, and see how they are turned away! The Noble Quran.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
that difference does not stop one of us to enter Paradise

but this one does.
They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of Mary.
The Messiah (himself) said: O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.
Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden paradise.
His abode is the Fire. For evil-doers there will be no helpers.

They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the third of three;
when there is no Allah save the One Allah. If they desist not from so saying a painful doom will fall on those of them who disbelieve.

Will they not rather turn unto Allah and seek forgiveness of Him? For Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

The Messiah, son of Mary, was no other than a messenger, messengers (the like of whom) had passed away before him.
And his mother was a saintly woman. And they both used to eat (earthly) food.
See how We make the revelations clear for them, and see how they are turned away! The Noble Quran.

Well on that basis I would say you may get into paradise but you won't be getting into heaven. the evidence is too great in the Bible for me to believe Christ is anything other than he claims to be. Too many references to the same truth. I don't see that just cos one man comes along 600 years later and claims he had a message from an angel that all that went before is wrong...is enough to change my view.

Actually maybe that should read ..others claimed it was an angel...because it does clearly state that Mohammed was none to sure and may even have thought it a demon.

Also there are far too many discrepancies in the Quran for it to be the progression of previous scriptures. The New Testament followed on from the Old Testament but did not change what went before..because it was Gods plan, and God does not make mistakes.

You take your chance...I'll take mine..I know Jesus is in me...

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Well on that basis I would say you may get into paradise but you won't be getting into heaven. the evidence is too great in the Bible for me to believe Christ is anything other than he claims to be. Too many references to the same truth. I don't see that just cos one man comes along 600 years later and claims he had a message from an angel that all that went before is wrong...is enough to change my view.

Actually maybe that should read ..others claimed it was an angel...because it does clearly state that Mohammed was none to sure and may even have thought it a demon.

Also there are far too many discrepancies in the Quran for it to be the progression of previous scriptures. The New Testament followed on from the Old Testament but did not change what went before..because it was Gods plan, and God does not make mistakes.

You take your chance...I'll take mine..I know Jesus is in me...
I followed Christianity for over 40 years before coming to the conclusion I could not believe it came from God(swt) I now place my trust in Islam

The proof of the NT is very lacking. You have one Story Originally written in Aramaic by Matthew(?) Translated into Greek and then retold by 3 unknown people in Greek. Followed up with 10 commentaries by unknown people and 13 letters/books attributed to Paul . With the possible exception of the Gospel of Matthew there is no verification that any Authors of the NT even saw Jesus(as) prior to the alleged Crucifixion.

Interesting observation, outside of Paul's epistles the only things told of Paul come from "Acts of the Apostles" probably written by Luke who was a follower of Paul. SOURCE

There is Historical evidence of Paul it seems that History does not paint a very flattering picture of him.

Paul was neither a Rabbi nor Hebrew Scholar nor even a sincere follower of Judaism. SOURCE

He is seen by at least some Historians as a very evil man. SOURCE SOURCE 2

It seems highly possible Paul was excommunicated from the Christian Community.

Quote:
One portion, numbered 40266, is titled by Eisenman and Wise, "The Foundation of Righteousness (The End of the Damascus Document: An excommunication text)."

It appears to be the excommunication of Paul from the Christian Community. The document was prepared for a convocation of the followers of Christ at the time of the Pentecost, "to curse those who depart to the right (or to the left) of the Torah," that is, the law of Moses.
SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam