Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times

Advertisements

I just read an article and it made me realize how little some people know about Islam.

From that Article:

"I don't oppose Islam as a country, but I do feel that their laws should not be welcome here in Australia." Banister

"Less than 2% of Australians follow haram."

"Jews aren't under haram, they have their own religion which follows Jesus Christ."

SOURCE

Can you answer these 10 questions?

Answer each as True or False

1. Muslims can not have non-Muslim friends.

2. Suicide bombers will automatically go to heaven

3. Muslim women can not work out side the home.

4. Muslim women are not to be educated

5. A Muslim woman can not choose who she will marry.

6. Most Muslims are Arabs

7, If a Muslim is killed with a bullet rubbed in pig fat, he will go to Hell

8. Muslims can not own a dog

9. Muslims do not believe Jesus(as) is the Messiah

10. Muslims do not believe Jesus(as) will return
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,897,673 times
They are all false.

Unfortunately, in some majority Muslim countries, some of the statements are true.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
They are all false.

Unfortunately, in some majority Muslim countries, some of the statements are true.
You are correct on all counts,

In some countries national and family culture has a stronger influence than Islam has. Especially with regard to questions 3, 4 and 5

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM

True or False

11. Shariah law orders that apostates must be killed.

12. A Christian woman married to a Muslim can remain Christian.

13. It is illegal to be a Christian in a Muslim country.

14. Muslims are required to treat non-Muslims fairly.

15. There are no Churches in Islamic Nations

16. One of Muhammad(saws)'s best friends was a Christian Monk

17. Muhammad(saws) was the first Muslim

18. Suicide is a serious sin in Islam

19, Muslims can only pray during specific times of the day

20. It is a sin for a Muslim to lie to non-Muslims

Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
While I am sure there are a lot of people who don't know a lot about Islam (I count myself in that group) I wouldn't use as an example someone who also thought Jews follow Jesus. Clearly she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
While I am sure there are a lot of people who don't know a lot about Islam (I count myself in that group) I wouldn't use as an example someone who also thought Jews follow Jesus. Clearly she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
She is not representative of anyone except her self, but she did remind me of how little I knew of Islam before I accepted Islam and how much more I still have to learn.

To be a Muslim means a lifetime of constant learning, nearly all of it independently and with the knowledge that in a lifetime we will only learn a small fraction.

There are numerous fields of Islamic studies to learn. Most of us will only learn a small amount of each area.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,268 times
Woodrow your post made me chuckle, although I know it wasn't intended to be humorous. I especially like #7, never heard that one before, what imagination! However, on a serious note, it shows the astounding breadth of ignorance people have about religions other than their own although I'd bet they know precious little about their own as well but that's another thread! Their ignorance gives rise to fear, intolerance and anger which becomes a self perpetuating cycle.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Woodrow your post made me chuckle, although I know it wasn't intended to be humorous. I especially like #7, never heard that one before, what imagination! However, on a serious note, it shows the astounding breadth of ignorance people have about religions other than their own although I'd bet they know precious little about their own as well but that's another thread! Their ignorance gives rise to fear, intolerance and anger which becomes a self perpetuating cycle.
The more we learn of each others beliefs the more we learn not to fear each other. Fear is caused by lack of knowledge and fear is the cause of hatred, intolerance and distrust.

A little shared knowledge can help break the cycle you speak of.

Knowledge promotes peaceful co-existence

Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,268 times
So true Woodrow, knowledge destroys barriers and brings people closer together. I began studying religion because my parents were of different faiths and I felt I needed to understand them both. I was amazed and delighted to discover that no matter what religion I studied I found the same basic principles. All roads lead to Rome, some are just shorter than others.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
So true Woodrow, knowledge destroys barriers and brings people closer together. I began studying religion because my parents were of different faiths and I felt I needed to understand them both. I was amazed and delighted to discover that no matter what religion I studied I found the same basic principles. All roads lead to Rome, some are just shorter than others.
Perhaps many of us have a tendency to make life more complex than it need be. We all seem to have the same basic desires and down deep hope for what is best for all of mankind.

It may be that in our desire to help our fellow travelers we forget that life is about choices and we each carry the responsibility to verify all things, Maybe it is best if we could all learn to show what we find to be true by living it as an example instead of trying to chain and pull our neighbors.

Now to reveal the answers to Questions 11-20

11, 13, 15, 17 and 19 are FALSE

12, 14, 16. 18 and 20 are TRUE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam