Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:46 AM

430 posts, read 481,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A huge misunderstanding regarding Islam are Women's rights. Hopefully this thread will dispell some of those misconceptions, not only for Non-Muslims but also for some Muslims.
Woodrow, do women worship side by side at your mosque?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:51 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
Woodrow, do women worship side by side at your mosque?
As my wife and myself are the only Muslims at our Mosque the answer is yes.
We are the only Muslims in the entire county, we made a spare room into a Mosque

Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM

430 posts, read 481,614 times
Quote:
As my wife and myself are the only Muslims at our Mosque the answer is yes.
We are the only Muslims in the entire county, we made a spare room into a Mosque

What country in the world only has 2 muslims?

please tell me its the vatican!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post

What country in the world only has 2 muslims?

please tell me its the vatican!!!
County not Country. We live in LaMoure County, North Dakota

See HERE

Old 12-30-2015, 11:12 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
To be specific, do you know of a majority Muslim society that treats women in a way that you approve?
Quote:
Indonesia outside the Aeeh region which is basically a seperatist region.
It looks like the Muslims in Indonesia have not changed. This story even has pictures of the woman being beaten.

Indonesian woman is caned under Sharia law | Daily Mail Online

Why do the good people in Indonesia allow this kind of thing to happen?

Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
It looks like the Muslims in Indonesia have not changed. This story even has pictures of the woman being beaten.

Indonesian woman is caned under Sharia law | Daily Mail Online

If you look under the photo captions you will see that is in Aceh. The province is a separatist movement in which the majority of the residents have voted for the province to be 100% Muslim and under full Sharia in all matters. The question arises does a nation have the right to pass laws by majority consensus?

As to what the province calls shariah will depend upon how they define Shariah. There is no single single set of laws that claims to be Sharia. Each of the Madhabs claim to be Shariah as do individual governments. Shariah is what the nation calls Shariah.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:43 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,165,150 times
The truth is this: Women in societies governed by sharia have far fewer rights than women in the West.

Here are some examples:

A man is entitled to up to four wives, but a woman may only have one husband.

A man can divorce a wife just by making a declaration (talaq) in front of an Islamic judge. The woman does not even have to be there or give consent.

There is no minimum age for marriage. Legal marriage to children as young as 12 or 13 by much older men is common in Muslim-majority countries. UNICEF and other studies state that the top five nations in the world with highest observed child marriage rates — Niger (75%), Chad (72%), Mali (71%), Bangladesh (64%), Guinea (63%) — are Islamic-majority countries where the personal laws for Muslims are sharia-based.

Under sharia, women have less inheritance rights compared to men and lesser status as witnesses.

Under sharia women become subservient to her husband and needs his permission to: "leave the house, take up employment, or to engage in fasting or forms of worship other than what is obligatory." If unmarried, a woman is under the guardianship of her nearest male relative.

Rape is considered a crime in all countries, but Shari'a courts in Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Syria and Tunisia in some cases allow a rapist to escape punishment by marrying his victim, while in other cases the victim who complains is often prosecuted with the crime of Zina (adultery).

Islamic law does not grant non-Muslim women the same legal rights as the few it did grant Muslim women. Sharia recognizes the basic inequality between master and women slave, between free women and slave women, between Believers and non-Believers, as well as their unequal rights.

Sharia authorized the institution of slavery, using the words abd (slave) and the phrase ma malakat aymanukum ("that which your right hand owns") to refer to women slaves, seized as captives of war. Under Islamic law, Muslim men could have sexual relations with female captives and slaves without her consent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia...child_marriage

Old 12-31-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The question arises does a nation have the right to pass laws by majority consensus?
People can govern themselves however they want. Some people seem to prefer a dictator. In our country, however, we do not "have the right to pass laws by majority consensus" and I like it that way

Quote:
If you look under the photo captions you will see that is in Aceh. The province is a separatist movement in which the majority of the residents have voted for the province to be 100% Muslim and under full Sharia in all matters.
Yeah, I figured the beating of the poor woman took place by the Muslims in Aceh. However, this was my question:

Quote:
I mean, if one of our states passed a law that conflicted with our Nation's laws, we would stop them from enforcing that law. Otherwise, we would implicitly be endorsing the law.

By allowing Aceh people to commit these inhumane acts against women, it makes the government of Indonesia and all Indonesians look very bad, and makes Americans more likely to support a leader who wants to stop all Muslims from coming into the USA.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
People can govern themselves however they want. Some people seem to prefer a dictator. In our country, however, we do not "have the right to pass laws by majority consensus" and I like it that way

Yeah, I figured the beating of the poor woman took place by the Muslims in Aceh. However, this was my question:

I mean, if one of our states passed a law that conflicted with our Nation's laws, we would stop them from enforcing that law. Otherwise, we would implicitly be endorsing the law.

By allowing Aceh people to commit these inhumane acts against women, it makes the government of Indonesia and all Indonesians look very bad, and makes Americans more likely to support a leader who wants to stop all Muslims from coming into the USA.
Indonesia seem st be in a bit of a catch 22. Aceh wants independence fron Indonesia same as Western Papua does. The result will be civil war when and if Indonesia gets involved with Aceh.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Indonesia seem st be in a bit of a catch 22. Aceh wants independence fron Indonesia same as Western Papua does. The result will be civil war when and if Indonesia gets involved with Aceh.
Well. it is obvious you know much more about Indonesia than I do. I'm gonna look these places up.

So have you heard what the general population of Indonesia thinks about these women in their country being beaten? I know I would not like hearing about it happening in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam