Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:30 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Memphis doesn't have a lot of amenities like hotels and such. The Peabody can't hold everybody that would come to an All-Star game. Also, the NFL will have a franchise sooner rather than later. San Diego doesn't support the Charges. Their games are often blacked out due to poor attendance. I have a feeling they will be headed to LA.
When I lived in San Diego, the city had an agreement that they would pay for any unsold seats, which prevented the games from being blacked out. Am I correct that they no longer have this arrangement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:38 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
New Orleans and Houston have large black populations, too. Do you have any quotes from officials (or someone being caught on video without knowing it/a Romney moment so to speak...LOL) or additional information to support this claim? I am skeptical, but always open to changing my mind with new information.
Yes, but New Orleans and Houston have a lot going for them that Memphis does not. For one thing, both have fantastic winter climates. In winter (the main time for football: right?), both cities are absolutely magical places to be. New Orleans is a place people love to visit - from all over the continent. Memphis is where you go, if you live near there and don't have anywhere else to go.

Houston has an incredible economy and a lot of wealth. And it's in an area where there's a lot of wealth - available to the kind of people who go to football games. And getting a really cheap flight into Houston is really easy. Anybody who's ever worked retail knows that football fans are a bunch of broke losers who are not going to easily pay big bucks for plane tickets. I only worked a couple of retail jobs, early in my college days: but I quickly learned that football crowds jam the stores with dolled-up looky-lous, milling about, wasting everybody's time - because they've got NO money.

So, basically, Memphis is going to draw its football fan base (who already are preoccupied with college football - like at Ole Miss) from surrounding areas - mostly the Delta. Delta people are BROKE, because most surplus income is drained by the absolute necessity of private schools for the kids. Also, the pesticides and herbicides mean that half the Delta seems to have cancer or progressive neurological dysfunction. One kid with Leukemia can drain an entire extended family's financial resources.

The college teams around Memphis have already drained all the Football Energy in the surrounding region.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,438 times
I do think the Jackson area could support semi-pro leagues, like Arena Football. Minor league baseball has done rather well here. Also, should the city or JSU get a domed stadium or arena, I believe preseason NBA games could come here.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Jackson isn't populous enough or wealthy enough to support a professional football team. And before you bring up the "Green Bay Packers", remember that is not a privately-owned team.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:50 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
You guys have a team.

Who Dat!

Old 08-02-2014, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,382 times
oh my..

Most importantly, the population can't afford to buy tickets in the first place and the stadiums would look like a high screwel Friday night game.

The region is comparatively broke !

Also, do you think these PRO Athletes who like the best of entertainment, food, partying, schools, houses, cars, women etc want to LIVE in JACKSON MISSISSIPPI ? how about Birmingham or Memphis with some really bad racist politics going on.....Do you think the NFL Commissioners want their prime assets and big time money makers to get hassled or get bored in their hometown city/environment ??

Some of these athletes have wives, AND girlfriends as well. Some of these non-white PRO Athletes are also married to non-black/white women with families as well....and extended families that relocate WITH THEM.

No, cities like JACKSON won't work for the quality of life for these professionals. Birmingham or Memphis either.

The first time some good ole boy redneck cop sees a black guy driving his convertible Bentley down the street, the cops and other idiots in these kinds of immature towns are going to assume he's a DRUG DEALER or doing something illegal. Why ? That's the mode of thinking in these kinds of small southern cities.

No, the NFL is not going to have their players in chitbird cities that have not matured, and where the citizenry is broke, undereducated, and overtly racist.

Fuggitaboutit

Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woollybully View Post
oh my..

Most importantly, the population can't afford to buy tickets in the first place and the stadiums would look like a high screwel Friday night game.

Also, do you think these PRO Athletes who like the best of entertainment, food, partying, schools, houses, cars, women etc want to LIVE in JACKSON MISSISSIPPI ? how about Birmingham or Memphis with some really bad racist politics going on.....Do you think the NFL Commissioners want their prime assets and big time money makers to get hassled or get bored in their hometown city/environment ??

Some of these athletes have wives, AND girlfriends as well. Some of these non-white PRO Athletes are also married to non-black/white women with families as well....and extended families that relocate WITH THEM.

No, cities like JACKSON won't work for the quality of life for these professionals. Birmingham or Memphis either.

The first time some good ole boy redneck cop sees a black guy driving his convertible Bentley down the street, the cops and other idiots in these kinds of immature towns are going to assume he's a DRUG DEALER or doing something illegal. Why ? That's the mode of thinking in these kinds of small southern cities.

No, the NFL is not going to have their players in chitbird cities that have not matured, and where the citizenry is broke, undereducated, and overtly racist.

Fuggitaboutit
Have you even visited Jackson or are you basing this all off of the premises that it is a deep south city?

Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,308 times
Well, my post seem to have gotten deleted somehow.

This is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time . Talk about a pipe dream!

My apologies. My post was not deleted because I had posted it in the other ridiculous thread about a baseball stadium built in the Farrish Street area.
However, I still maintain my stand on the fact that building a stadium to try to recruit an NFL team here is preposterous.

I saw on the local news last week with the Saints at their new training camp in Virginia I believe. Every player they interviewed was elated that they no longer had to train at Milsaps College in Jackson. I believe it was mainly because of the heat.

Jackson does not have the money or facilities to entice an NFL team here.

However , those that believe it could happen, keep working on it. It will not happen in my lifetime. But it would be great for future generations.

Last edited by Madeline2121; 08-02-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 04:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woollybully View Post
oh my..

True

Quote:
They already do it in Memphis, Green Bay, New Orleans in the 90s and Oklahoma City.
They don't care about the players, as long as the stadium is full and merchandise being purchased they are elated.

Quote:
Are you familiar with the Memphis Grizzlies, which some of there players probably live in NW Mississippi?

Quote:
That's the mode of thinking in large urban areas as well.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:03 AM

417 posts, read 445,474 times
I love the idea of the NFL sponsoring a minor league, or developmental league where it could send some of it's younger players after, or instead of college. This would also allow it to expand into newer, smaller markets. This would be a good breakdown.

Northern division: Columbus, Hartford, Des Moines, Louisville
Southern division: Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, Richmond (San Juan would also be an interesting choice)
Central division: Tulsa, San Antonio, Wichita, Omaha
Mountain division: Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, El Paso, either Colorado Springs or Tucson. (Mexico City would be another option).
Pacific division: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland, Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson