Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 11:20 AM

76 posts, read 105,690 times

Advertisements

I was initially real estate shopping in Madison, however the commute may be longer than I want if we lived in the town of Madison. (unless we lived on the southern end of Madison, however the northern area of Madison seems prettier?)

1. Where do most families who send their kids to Jackson Prep live?

2. Anywhere nice to reside in Flowood? Is the Lineage Lake subdivision in a nice area?

I am relocating from out of state, so I really do not know the area well. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 12:32 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,476 times
First the "commute" in Madison (or the Jackson metro) is zilch compared to other large cities. I would say the traffic in Flowood is worse than Madison. Not sure where you are moving from or been to the area before but it's a piece of cake.

1. You would need to talk to someone at the schools for that.

2. Can't help you there.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:09 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,438,247 times
I wouldn't say the commute is "zero." From Madison you're looking at a half hour each way, twice per day. Maybe more if you live way up in Madison off Hoy Rd, for example. And that's assuming no morning traffic, which does back up.
I wouldn't want to do it everyday.

If money is no object, live in the Eastover neighborhood in Jackson. East of Ridgewood, south of Northside dr. You can pay as much as you want, and get as grand a mansion as your budget allows.

Don't know much about Flowood.

What about Brandon on the lake? Take the N Shore Parkway over Pelahatchie Bay, that's a very nice area, all very close to the water.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 39,373 times
My job is in Rankin, and that is exactly why I didn't buy in the Gluckstadt (North Madison) area. The commute most mornings isn't bad (unless there is an interstate accident, in which case it becomes a multi-hour nightmare). Lakeland Dr in Flowood is known for its traffic backup, but they are getting close to completing a project to expand the road to 6 lanes, which should greatly help when done.

1. Most Prep families are probably NE Jackson,, followed by Ridgeland and Flowood. We chose NW Rankin schools because they are adequate and free, but if money was not an object we'd consider Prep.

2. Lineage Lake is nice, but I personally wouldn't buy there. Homes are too close together considering their price. In that price range, there are some nice subdivisions with larger lots and more privacy along Cooper Road in Flowood. Also in Rankin I would consider homes on the Reservoir that someone already mentioned, and the subdivisions up in the Fannin area. There are also some really nice homes with large lots off Baker Ln (known as Oakdale). The Fannin area is a little bit of a drive from Flowood, and Oakdale is not as far.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:52 PM

76 posts, read 105,690 times
Jackson Panter, that was what I was guessing- about 30 minutes commute to Prep from Madison. That is more than I want to do twice daily.

I found "Bridgewater" in Ridgeland. That is about 20 minutes. Very nice, & beautiful trees/homes there.(but more $ than Lineage Lake)

I never researched living with a Jackson address. I'll check it out. I was always concerned about the crime reputation Jackson has. Thanks for the feedback on Lineage Lake. I'll check out the other areas you mentioned.

I want to be in a nice area & have 1+ acres, but I don't want to commute over 20 minutes. If it's not possible, maybe my guy will end up going to Saint Andrews. Trying to make JP work first.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I wouldn't say the commute is "zero." From Madison you're looking at a half hour each way, twice per day. Maybe more if you live way up in Madison off Hoy Rd, for example. And that's assuming no morning traffic, which does back up.
I wouldn't want to do it everyday.
Yeah a real grueling 20-25 minute commute. I don't know how people do it. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
If money is no object, live in the Eastover neighborhood in Jackson. East of Ridgewood, south of Northside dr. You can pay as much as you want, and get as grand a mansion as your budget allows.
yeah just hope some crackhead doesn't break into your home and steal your stuff or worse if you're home.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymovingaroundusa View Post
Jackson Panter, that was what I was guessing- about 30 minutes commute to Prep from Madison. That is more than I want to do twice daily.

I found "Bridgewater" in Ridgeland. That is about 20 minutes. Very nice, & beautiful trees/homes there.(but more $ than Lineage Lake)

I never researched living with a Jackson address. I'll check it out. I was always concerned about the crime reputation Jackson has. Thanks for the feedback on Lineage Lake. I'll check out the other areas you mentioned.

I want to be in a nice area & have 1+ acres, but I don't want to commute over 20 minutes. If it's not possible, maybe my guy will end up going to Saint Andrews. Trying to make JP work first.
Here is the cold reality. Live in Jackson and be close to whatever it is in Jackson that you want to be near. You'll have crappy roads, crime, horrible schools and incompetent city leaders. But hey you'll be close to Jackson prep.

Or you can move to the suburbs. Sure it's a commute but compared to Jackson you'll have smooth roads, low taxes, low crime, great schools, great communities.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:41 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Judging from what you've written, I think that Lineage Lake is the PERFECT choice for you!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
Best case scenario would be Bridgewater or nearby (perhaps near Jackson Yacht Club in Ridgeland ... or in Madison along Rice Rd just north of the Natchez Trace ... and St. Andrew's, giving you a commute of two to five minutes. There are definitely homes on the western side of Ridgeland (roughly in vicinity of Bridgewater) with large 1 to 3 acre lots..and on up to Madison at Ingleside, Deerhaven, and a number of other subdivisions along Hwy 463. Annandale also a section with large lots and there are many others up Hwy 463.

For Rankin County, others have made good suggestions (e.g. Dogwood, which is large wooded lots in Flowood right off Lakeland Drive...along with two similar neighboring subdivisions), the Baker Lane subdivisions also quite nice and wooded, and the Reservoir Northshore neighborhoods near the water (Palisades, and others nearby).

In Jackson, Eastover Drive is the prime location and centrally located, with large lots. This is a highly sought-after area (and adjacent neighborhoods), although if you've read these boards, the city of Jackson does not offer the same level of services (e.g. police, streets, etc). That said, many families have been in Eastover for decades and wouldn't consider anywhere else, except perhaps Belhaven near downtown or gorgeous Woodland Hills just across I-55 from Eastover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson