Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 18,805 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was recently offered a job in Jackson, MS (north of the city) and I am weighing my options. My wife and I currently live in D.C.

Honestly, I have never been to Jackson and have never thought of living there, but this opportunity is almost too good to pass up. My potential employer offered up that Madison is a good place to live.

I guess, my questions are generally, what is the area (Madison and Jackson) all about? A few key areas I would love any input on:

1. Teaching jobs (my wife is a teacher)
2. We have a newborn baby girl; day care, etc.
3. Jackson overall? Stuff to do, avoid the city, culture, etc.
4. Traveling back to the Pittsburgh area (where are families live) may happen more often that we think with a new baby, is it hard getting flights into and out of Jackson airport?
5. Weather
6. Things to do; I see it Jackson isn't too far from a lot of places like NOLA, Birmingham, etc. any other local spots that are musts (e.g., beaches, cities, etc.)

Any insights into Jackson would be awesome. I am 31 and my wife is 30. The Madison area looks beautiful and i will say the dollar seems to go way farther there than here in DC, which is a huge plus in leaning me toward taking this job.

I would really appreciate any feedback you all may have.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 12,089 times
Smile Come on!

Hi,

I live in the Jackson Metro and it is honestly a great place to live, work, and play. I suggest taking the job. Madison is a popular suburb, with pretty good public schools (as far as I know) and is a quickly growing part of the metro. Jackson is a lot different from DC (a LOT smaller and WAY less public transportation), but regardless of what people may say, is a good city with much to offer and many opportunities.

The Downtown is not as lively as it used to be but is making a slow comeback. There is a neat shopping district in the city proper known as Highland Village. There are good stores and nice diners there. The District at Eastover is finishing its construction also in the city proper. It has retail, business, lofts and flats, etc. There is a also good bit of shopping in Madison County (Madison and Ridgeland) and in Rankin County (Pearl and Flowood). Flowood is close to the Ross Barnett Reservoir, where many people are moving. It's a great place to take it easy! Lakeland Drive runs through Flowood where the Dogwood Festival Market Mall area is. (Between the Reservoir and the Airport). You asked about the airport. It's not huge, but you can get flights through Delta to Atlanta, through American to Washington and Charlotte, and through United to Houston and Chicago. Also, on Lakeland Drive are many Museums (Mississippi Children's Museum, Mississippi Agriculture Museum, Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, and National Aviation Museum to name them). At the end of Lakeland in Jackson is an area called Fondren, an older arts district filled with neat studios, restraunts, bars, etc. Downtown, there are a park and museums, too. (Mississippi Arts Museum and International Museum of Muslim Cultures). They are also opening a couple more Mississippi-based museums later this year. Because of the very limited public transportation, traffic can get a little heavy during rush hour, depending on where you live and work.(Nothing like DC though)

As for Madison, there is a neat, newish shopping center with Malco Grandview Movie Theater. There are not many parks in Madison, while there are MANY subdivisions, new and old. The weather stays prettier mild in the winter (it's 60 right now) and hot in the summer. It also stays pretty humid year-round. As for travel, Jackson is halfway between two great Southern Mississippi River cities, Memphis and New Orleans. It is also close to Vicksburg, a fun, historic Civil War Mississippi River town with lots of parks and museums, as well. The Vicksburg National Military Park is among the largest military national parks in the country. The Battle of Vicksburg took place there. All around, the City of Jackson and the Jackson Metropolitan Area is a nice place to work and live.

I hope I helped, best wishes, and good luck!!

Last edited by jdacus53; 03-02-2017 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Revision and attempt to make response look cleaner.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,990,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclg311 View Post
Hello all,

I was recently offered a job in Jackson, MS (north of the city) and I am weighing my options. My wife and I currently live in D.C.

Honestly, I have never been to Jackson and have never thought of living there, but this opportunity is almost too good to pass up. My potential employer offered up that Madison is a good place to live.

I guess, my questions are generally, what is the area (Madison and Jackson) all about? A few key areas I would love any input on:

1. Teaching jobs (my wife is a teacher)
2. We have a newborn baby girl; day care, etc.
3. Jackson overall? Stuff to do, avoid the city, culture, etc.
4. Traveling back to the Pittsburgh area (where are families live) may happen more often that we think with a new baby, is it hard getting flights into and out of Jackson airport?
5. Weather
6. Things to do; I see it Jackson isn't too far from a lot of places like NOLA, Birmingham, etc. any other local spots that are musts (e.g., beaches, cities, etc.)

Any insights into Jackson would be awesome. I am 31 and my wife is 30. The Madison area looks beautiful and i will say the dollar seems to go way farther there than here in DC, which is a huge plus in leaning me toward taking this job.

I would really appreciate any feedback you all may have.

Thanks again!
I usually recommend Madison and Brandon, depending on where your job is, so if you are north, definitely Madison. Probably the best place in the state to live, rivaling Ocean Springs and Hernando.

As far as flights, you will certainly be connecting to Atlanta or Charlotte before Pittsburgh. Probably will be a tad more expensive than Memphis or New Orleans but that's the 3 hour drive distance and parking.

Weather is basically warm/hot most of the year. You will probably love that coming from Pittsburgh, most people normally do.

I would say that Jackson's strengths are the low cost of living so you CAN go on vacation in other cooler spots. HOWEVER....there are some cool things to do in and around Jackson. It's just like any other city. Fondren District always has something going on, there is great food everywhere, and with a daughter you should check out the Children's Museum and other things like that. There are some arts and things. New Orleans is New Orleans, you have to visit at least once. The coast is cool, you can hang out in the MS coast for gambling, fishing and food and then go over to AL/FL to have better/clearer beaches/water. Lot of golf in MS if you are into that. Sports are obviously big like anywhere. They have a minor league Braves team but let's just say it ain't the Nationals. Not sure how into sports you are, but you can always check out a game at Miss State or Ole Miss.

Glad you are considering MS. It's my home state and I will eventually come back myself.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:31 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,351,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I usually recommend Madison and Brandon, depending on where your job is, so if you are north, definitely Madison. Probably the best place in the state to live, rivaling Ocean Springs and Hernando.

As far as flights, you will certainly be connecting to Atlanta or Charlotte before Pittsburgh. Probably will be a tad more expensive than Memphis or New Orleans but that's the 3 hour drive distance and parking.

Weather is basically warm/hot most of the year. You will probably love that coming from Pittsburgh, most people normally do.

I would say that Jackson's strengths are the low cost of living so you CAN go on vacation in other cooler spots. HOWEVER....there are some cool things to do in and around Jackson. It's just like any other city. Fondren District always has something going on, there is great food everywhere, and with a daughter you should check out the Children's Museum and other things like that. There are some arts and things. New Orleans is New Orleans, you have to visit at least once. The coast is cool, you can hang out in the MS coast for gambling, fishing and food and then go over to AL/FL to have better/clearer beaches/water. Lot of golf in MS if you are into that. Sports are obviously big like anywhere. They have a minor league Braves team but let's just say it ain't the Nationals. Not sure how into sports you are, but you can always check out a game at Miss State or Ole Miss.

Glad you are considering MS. It's my home state and I will eventually come back myself.
Why are you giving tips on jackson when you don't live here and have said you don't know much about the area?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:19 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,247,343 times
I lived in Jackson and then Madison several years back. I have a standing job offer at a firm in Madison if I ever do decide to move back... maybe after my kids graduate. When I do move back to Mississippi it will either be the Madison area or my home town in the rural north-central part of the state.

Madison started as a "2%" bedroom community for Jackson commuters. It has decent schools (relatively... MS isn't the best in the area of public education). Some very nice subdivisions.

Coming from DC, a metro of less than half a million people will be a severe culture shock. It was the exact opposite for me coming from a town of about 100 people. Just like DC, you have good areas along with some to avoid.

You're right in that it's an easy day-trip/overnighter to Birmingham, Memphis, NOLA, and Gulf Shores or Pensacola. But don't get so focused on insisting on mass-market entertainment that you miss the local scene. Learn about the local history (blues, civil rights, civil war, etc.).

Come on down and stay a while.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Too long. No spaces. Not reading
I see lots of spaces.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:20 PM

401 posts, read 536,983 times
You'll like it, as long as you're ok with taking ten steps backwards in every aspect of your life.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,566 times
Please visit the area first before you make any decisions on moving your family here. It's just a different culture than other areas of the country. I'm not saying good or bad, but you definitely need to visit with your family to see if it would work for y'all. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson