Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 AM

40 posts, read 78,888 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to Madison in a few weeks. This opportunity came very unexpectedly so we haven’t really learned much about Madison yet. We live in a small town in PA, but we’ve only been here for 4 years. I’m from TN so I’m familiar with Mississippi in general. Here are my questions:

1. Does the crime from Jackson spill over into Madison?

2. Are tornadoes an issue? When we lived in Memphis, we spent at least 3 nights a year sleeping in the bathroom with the kids and I hated that!

3. Do y’all ever get snow? I will miss that about the NE.

4. I’ve read that there are snakes :-o Is that for real?

5. Is flooding something we need to consider then we buy a home?

6. Are there many homeschool families? We homeschool and there aren’t very many others here where we live
now.

I guess that’s all for now. If anyone could just describe Madison for me... I’d appreciate it. We’ll be buying an RV to stay in until we sell our house here and get an idea of where we want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:52 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Many people consider Madison Mississippi’s finest town. Per-capita income is higher than Mississippi’s average and crime is lower than average. Tornadoes are a possibility throughout the winter and early spring. Snow is rare. Hope that helps some.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyloulou View Post
My family will be relocating to Madison in a few weeks. This opportunity came very unexpectedly so we haven’t really learned much about Madison yet. We live in a small town in PA, but we’ve only been here for 4 years. I’m from TN so I’m familiar with Mississippi in general. Here are my questions:

2. Are tornadoes an issue? When we lived in Memphis, we spent at least 3 nights a year sleeping in the bathroom with the kids and I hated that!

6. Are there many homeschool families? We homeschool and there aren’t very many others here where we live
now.

I guess that’s all for now. If anyone could just describe Madison for me... I’d appreciate it. We’ll be buying an RV to stay in until we sell our house here and get an idea of where we want to live there.

Been in Madison about 4 years. Leaving next year and never looking back. Madison is nice. Most of Mississippi is miserable. Instead of going down the list of good and bad, this is how I have come to feel about living here: Anything positive someone can say about this place(and there are good things here) can be found in many other places without all the awful stuff.

Not much crime in Madison, but most of the crime is a spill over. You will be living in a bubble. A fairly nice, but small and sterile bubble. There are a few other bubbles but for the most part, you can't avoid the fact that most places suck or are on the border of things that suck. Everyone knows it and utterly no one will ever do anything about it because everyone blames the wrong things.

Tornadoes are an issue.

It snows. Some years a little. Some years none.

There are snakes.

Flooding does not seem to be a problem in most places.

I run into families that home school and they seem like good people. I dont have kids here so I am not really in this world.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:36 PM

Thank you!!!

Old 04-13-2018, 04:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyloulou View Post

now.

1. Does the crime from Jackson spill over into Madison? NO

2. Are tornadoes an issue? When we lived in Memphis, we spent at least 3 nights a year sleeping in the bathroom with the kids and I hated that! The same as Memphis.

3. Do y’all ever get snow? I will miss that about the NE. A little less than Memphis.

4. I’ve read that there are snakes :-o Is that for real? The same as Memphis. No more or less snakes than you're used to

5. Is flooding something we need to consider then we buy a home? Probably not, but a realtor will know the area.

6. Are there many homeschool families? We homeschool and there aren’t very many others here where we live now. Not a lot, but you will find a few.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,076 times
Sent you a direct message! I'm moving to Madison this summer from NJ

Old 04-15-2018, 04:35 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Been in Madison about 4 years. Leaving next year and never looking back. Madison is nice. Most of Mississippi is miserable. Instead of going down the list of good and bad, this is how I have come to feel about living here: Anything positive someone can say about this place(and there are good things here) can be found in many other places without all the awful stuff.

Not much crime in Madison, but most of the crime is a spill over. You will be living in a bubble. A fairly nice, but small and sterile bubble. There are a few other bubbles but for the most part, you can't avoid the fact that most places suck or are on the border of things that suck. Everyone knows it and utterly no one will ever do anything about it because everyone blames the wrong things.

Tornadoes are an issue.

It snows. Some years a little. Some years none.

There are snakes.

Flooding does not seem to be a problem in most places.

I run into families that home school and they seem like good people. I dont have kids here so I am not really in this world.
Unfortunately, this post is correct.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:55 AM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
When I moved back to the metro area from living in the delta for 15 years, I looked at Madison and didn't like what I saw. I moved to Brandon in the Flowood area. Glad I made the choice I did. People here are nicer.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
What makes a crime a spillover, versus just a regular crime?

Madison doesn't touch Jackson, so are you talking about spillover from Ridgeland?

If Madison is not isolated enough for you, there are two new towns being built up - Livingston and Gluckstadt.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:36 AM

I lived in Germantown, TN and the crime from Memphis started spilling over into Germantown. That’s what I was asking about. The crimes were committed by people who lived in Memphis as opposed to being committed by Germantown residents.

I will look into those two towns as well.. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson