Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM

392 posts, read 1,553,287 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here watch over-the-air TV in Jacksonville? How many channels are you able to get?

I understand that broadcasters are capable of broadcasting more channels than they used to now that everything is digital. I've read that big markets, like Los Angeles, have 40 or more broadcast channels. If we got that many here, I would certainly be tempted to give up the cable.

Every time they raise their rates, I think about doing away with cable. I would miss TCM and Encore though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
It depends on where you are and how strong your antenna is. My parents get about 19 or 20 channels (excluding duplicate programming) and that's about 4 or 5 more than me. Look up tvguide to find all the broadcast channels that are *possibly* available TV Listings - Find Local TV Shows and Movie Schedules - Listings Grid | TVGuide.com

by my count it is 23 though I've never seen some of those that are listed.

Or, what I'd definitely recommend, is to just get an antenna and try it yourself. You can enjoy broadcast television (with true high-def transmission) while still keeping your subscription so you'll know what it's like before dropping.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Go to antennaweb.org
Enter your address. Map will show direction [compass heading] of towers from your address. Chart will show channels available [only primary], distance from tower, color coded size of antenna needed to receive signal.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
Does anyone here watch over-the-air TV in Jacksonville? How many channels are you able to get?

I understand that broadcasters are capable of broadcasting more channels than they used to now that everything is digital. I've read that big markets, like Los Angeles, have 40 or more broadcast channels. If we got that many here, I would certainly be tempted to give up the cable.

Every time they raise their rates, I think about doing away with cable. I would miss TCM and Encore though.
You mean local channel/networks?? I think there are 5 stations affiliates of the NYC majors. ABC, CBS-Disney, NBC-Universal, Fox & PBS...did I miss any?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Default http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=321055

This is a good website for info:

Jacksonville, FL - HDTV - AVS Forum

Fair number of people in the metro area you can chat with. Robyn

Old 04-29-2017, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Default From Savannah, Georgia:

I Am Mark And I Live In Savannah, Georgia. I Have A HDB91X Antenna With A Radio Shack Anm And A Rotor On It And I Get Over The Air TV Channels From Beaufort, Hilton Head Whenever They Are On The Air. Charelston,SC. Columbia, SC, Augusta, Jacksonville, Orlando At Any Time Of The Day Or Night.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markee mark View Post
I Am Mark And I Live In Savannah, Georgia. I Have A HDB91X Antenna With A Radio Shack Anm And A Rotor On It And I Get Over The Air TV Channels From Beaufort, Hilton Head Whenever They Are On The Air. Charelston,SC. Columbia, SC, Augusta, Jacksonville, Orlando At Any Time Of The Day Or Night.
Hmmm, maybe there have been technology changes in the last 6 1/2 years.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,496 times
I live in Southside about 8 miles from the beach and 2 miles south of beach blvd. I have an indoor antenna and receive 51 channels. I watch 29 of them, the rest are infomercial, religion, shopping or broadcast in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville