Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've appreciated all the help you've given in the past and ask one last favor: I'll be in St Augustine tomorrow and have come to learn that there's a space shuttle launch scheduled for Thursday at 4:50 PM.

Has anyone ever seen one of these from a beach in St Johns? My father says that they can see the night launches, but 4:50 is still too light out.

Any advise on any beaches between St Augustine and north of Daytona?

The NASA site states that the registration for their tickets is closed and that I would have to go through a tour group which would charge $300 for my child and me; a little too steep.

Thank you again for all the help you've been
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
We've seen a launch from the beach club at Serenata Beach (a little north of St. Augustine). It's private - members only (we were there for a Christmas party). And could see things ok (although - from St. Johns County - the launch certainly didn't light up the whole sky - it seemed kind of small and far away) - until the launch went into the clouds.

There's a restaurant a little to the south (still north of St. Augustine) - The Reef - on the beach. You might go there for a drink - appetizers - whatever - and give it a try. I suspect your father is right about the visibility at 4:50 pm - but The Reef is a pleasant place - and not too far away. So no harm done if you can't see anything. Robyn

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM

33 posts, read 148,486 times
Default Titus ville or jetty park

Titusville exit on I-95 , one exit before NASA is a good place to see the launch. Jetty park has parking space, beach and other activities to enjoy. One dis advantage at Jetty park is you can not see the shuttle until it lifts up to a certain height as it blocked by hill. You can also park along the river near NASA and can watch.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Default alternate launch viewing places

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceguy View Post
Titusville exit on I-95 , one exit before NASA is a good place to see the launch. Jetty park has parking space, beach and other activities to enjoy. One dis advantage at Jetty park is you can not see the shuttle until it lifts up to a certain height as it blocked by hill. You can also park along the river near NASA and can watch.

Other Viewing Recommendations (frederick.mckenzie-1@pp.ksc.nasa.gov and
============================= others)
If you can't get a launch pass I suggest you come to Titusville. Go east on
State Road 50 from I-95, to US-1. Go north on US-1 to the "Miracle City Mall"
at Harrison. Park somewhere north of this spot. Anywhere north along highway
1, or east (as far as you can) along highway 406 (402) is good (specifically
Sand Point Park), just as long as you can see the VAB and don't have trees
blocking the view. If you can afford it, just pay the $10 to park in
someone's yard along the river. Also you can try Jetty Park at Port Canaveral
(you will be south of the launch looking north). Space View Park claims to be
the best place to view Shuttle launches from Titusville
Space View Park - Titusville Florida

Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Are any of those locations North of Daytona? I don't need up close spectacular. I don't know the area well and don't want to wind up lost a few hours from where I am staying.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
I usually watch launches from St. Augustine Beach - day or night the flame and plume can be seen with the naked eye, and binoculars allows you to see a "silver dot" (the shuttle).

There's a large parking lot at the St. Johns County Pier on St. Augustine Beach, but it may fill up depending on the size of the shuttle-watching crowd. You could also try driving onto the beach at A St.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM

134 posts, read 254,380 times
If you are looking to stay north of Daytona then any beach would work. You will see the flame the plume and the break away if it is clear.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM

21 posts, read 29,836 times
I've seen them from Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra Beach. I've also seen them from US 1 between Jax & St. Augustine.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
So what happened? All I can tell you is we were heading south to Miami on Thursday - and tried to get off I-95 to have lunch at Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. Traffic was so bad we got back on I-95. Too bad - I like Dixie Crossroads. Robyn

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Default Watched from Titusville

I watched from Spaceview Park at Titusville. I was there by 3PM . The park was packed. No place to stand. I heard people waiting there from 6AM.
I had very good view right from taking off the pad

I think it will be still crowded for next launch which is going to be in April.
If you want to sit and watch relaxedly, better try at Jetty Park. You can not view taking off from launch pad as there is hillock between you and lauch pad. But can watch once it is above certain level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville