Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,711 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house outside of Jacksonville...My husband had gone to Jax a few weeks ago and looked around Orange Park, Fleming Island, St. Johns area - Middleburg - even St. Augustine....But we were just told to also consider looking around the Yulee area. We are looking for something on a larger lot (we would like at least an acre) We would also like to have an in-ground pool too (but that has been making the search a bit harder - since we are looking to stay in the low to Mid 200's range)

My question is....Would you consider the Yulee area to be as nice (or nicer) then say the Middleburg area (he was not too crazy about all the trailers he saw along the way in Middleburg - but maybe that is just what to expect in the more rural areas??) and How is the commute comparison, going to Jax from Yulee vs Middleburg.

When my husband was speaking to RE agents early on - NO ONE mentioned the areas up North - they all talked about St. Johns and Clay County....no one said anything about Yulee until a new agent asked us why we did not look up North. We are not sure if there was a reason for this.

ANY comments on this would be great!

Last edited by KathyLI2Jax; 05-31-2011 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,973 times
I live in Middleburg. It's NOT all trailers, unless you live in one of the trailer parks. There are some nice neighborhoods in Middleburg: Fox Meadows, Ravines, Ravines Crossing, to name a few. It all depends on what part in which you're looking.

To answer your question about commute to Jax: It depends on which part of Jax you'd need access to on a regular basis. Yulee is WAY north of the southside of Jax, for example, but it's much closer to the northside than Middleburg is.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Yulee V. Middleburg economically about the same though Middleburg has become more gentrified in the last few years. There's just as many mobile homes in one as the other. Commuting from Middleburgs a pain because there's just Blanding Blvd (SR 19) until you get to the Brananfield-Chaffee (SR 23) extension which has signs on it stating it will someday be a toll road. Yulee on the other hand has 2 main egress points Main Street (US 17) or I-95 which is a 3 mile drive west of Yulee(A-1-A). Depending on where your job was would be the deciding factor. Or another option would be MacClenny, larger lots, less expensive homes, cheaper taxes, and a more small town feel. And a straight shot into Jax on I-10 or Beaver Street (US 90)

Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,711 times
Thank you so much. I appreciate the reply posts so far.

I am sorry if I came across as being so against the trailer parks - that was not my intention (or main concern.) My Father lived in a Senior Mobile Park in N. Fort Myers and it was really nice there - I was just commenting on something my husband mentioned on his trip - I guess being from Long Island, its just not something that we see here. I did not get to go to Jax with him - as it is busy season for my business - but I am planning a trip there soon - I guess my husband just did not understand why none of the Brokers even mentioned Yulee or MacClenny - etc. My husband would have loved to have gotten to see the areas while he was there, guess its time for another trip to Jax!

Thank you for the suggest of MacClenny - I have been looking at some listings there as well. Its just tough looking for a house when you live so far away and do not know the areas - what kind of shopping is near....etc - but this forum has been great - I read the posts every single day!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyLI2Jax View Post
Its just tough looking for a house when you live so far away and do not know the areas - what kind of shopping is near....etc - but this forum has been great - I read the posts every single day!
Been there done that! And I relied heavily on this board, too. Without doubt, great decision on my part!

As joninclay asked
Quote:
To answer your question about commute to Jax: It depends on which part of Jax you'd need access to on a regular basis. Yulee is WAY north of the southside of Jax, for example, but it's much closer to the northside than Middleburg is.
... that is important. Duval County/Jacksonville (one and the same) is huge land-wise, and it does make a difference where one's work is located to decide where to live.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,973 times
Quote:
Thank you so much. I appreciate the reply posts so far.

I am sorry if I came across as being so against the trailer parks - that was not my intention (or main concern.)
No, Kathy, you didn't come across the wrong way, nor was I offended at the remarks about trailer parks. Speaking honestly, I don't want to live in or near them myself.

I was just trying to say that Middleburg wasn't ALL trailer parks. Sure, there are a bunch here. I just didn't want you thinking that Middleburg shouldn't be an option because of the abundance of trailer parks, because the truth is that there are a lot of nicer areas here, too.

Your driving time into Jax should largely govern where you should concentrate your search. I work at Cecil Field (on Jax's west side), so Middleburg is ideal for me in that it's a short drive and I bypass the Blanding traffic that is horrific at rush hour. If I worked in Jax's southside, I'd have to take Blanding all the way to I-295, and that would s#ck out loud. So in the that scenario, living in Middleburg would be more of a pain.

If you'll be working or spending a lot of time on Jax's west side, Middleburg isn't a bad choice at all. If you'll be mostly in downtown or the northside, Yulee and Macclenny would be better fits. If you'll be mostly on the southside, then I'd take a look at St. Johns County or Fleming Island (even Green Cove Springs would be manageable).

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
KathyLI2Jax:
I just bought my son a house on the Westside of Jax just off of Old Plank Rd. its a rural area. His lot is 2 acres and its an older brick and frame home (built in the 70's) paid just under $170K for it. While looking in the area I saw a couple of other homes in the same general area for sale all with at least an acre of land an one real nice newer one with a screened in pool on the market, if you would like some further info direct message me and I will be glad to send you a link.
Just wanted to let you know I am not a realtor

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 06-01-2011 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: not a realtor

Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM

43 posts, read 83,657 times
They are about the same. Though there's Less traffic to deal with coming from Yulee since its a straight shot down I-95.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
We are looking to buy a house outside of Jacksonville...My husband had gone to Jax a few weeks ago and looked around Orange Park, Fleming Island, St. Johns area - Middleburg - even St. Augustine....But we were just told to also consider looking around the Yulee area. We are looking for something on a larger lot (we would like at least an acre) We would also like to have an in-ground pool too (but that has been making the search a bit harder - since we are looking to stay in the low to Mid 200's range)

My question is....Would you consider the Yulee area to be as nice (or nicer) then say the Middleburg area (he was not too crazy about all the trailers he saw along the way in Middleburg - but maybe that is just what to expect in the more rural areas??) and How is the commute comparison, going to Jax from Yulee vs Middleburg.

When my husband was speaking to RE agents early on - NO ONE mentioned the areas up North - they all talked about St. Johns and Clay County....no one said anything about Yulee until a new agent asked us why we did not look up North. We are not sure if there was a reason for this.

ANY comments on this would be great!
Nassau County( Yulee, Callahan and Hilliard) are not as built up as Clay or St Johns Counties. The suburbanization of Nassau is much newer. It seems that the commute into North Jax, Westside or Downtown would be easier from Nassau County

And the Nassau schools do not have as good a reputation as St Johns or Clay. ( I dont know if this is deserved or not)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville